Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Derek Dennis suggests a strike to open camp

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Derek Dennis suggests a strike to open camp

    Yesterday, Derek Dennis suggested a strike to open camp. I am the farthest thing from a labour lawyer, but decided to look in to labour laws across Canada, to look at the legalities of such a move by the CFLPA.

    http://pifflespodcast.com/blog/derek...e-to-open-camp

  • #2
    Originally posted by safimod View Post
    Yesterday, Derek Dennis suggested a strike to open camp. I am the farthest thing from a labour lawyer, but decided to look in to labour laws across Canada, to look at the legalities of such a move by the CFLPA.

    http://pifflespodcast.com/blog/derek...e-to-open-camp
    So is he...

    Comment


    • #3
      Well this definitely means they aren't getting much in the way of SMS increase and Health benefits if they are threatening strike.

      Strike away boys, you'll be back sooner than later agreeing to much the same agreement that is on the table now.
      Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Tyree View Post

        So is he...
        That is certainly true

        Comment


        • #5
          If they aren’t getting any decent concessions, good for Dennis and the players should stand up for themselves.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by safimod View Post
            Yesterday, Derek Dennis suggested a strike to open camp. I am the farthest thing from a labour lawyer, but decided to look in to labour laws across Canada, to look at the legalities of such a move by the CFLPA.

            http://pifflespodcast.com/blog/derek...e-to-open-camp
            That sounds like a positive frame of mind to enter ( or continue ) negotiations with

            Comment


            • #7
              Mr Dennis doesn't understand the cupboards are bare. The teams with money in reserve might lose that in bailing out the weak sisters. If Dennis wants big money and big benefits get on a NFL roster.

              Comment


              • #8
                The players might as well play hardball. If nobody shows up for camp it will show they are actually serious and not just sabre rattling

                Comment


                • #9
                  Perhaps a revenue sharing model of some sort would be best served for the CFL? The collective strength as a league could be beneficial.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Bingo_Arms View Post
                    If they aren’t getting any decent concessions, good for Dennis and the players should stand up for themselves.
                    the players have next to zero bargaining power and that is just a fact of life for the CFLPA ……………. Get the best deal possible and get to work

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by goaltender61 View Post

                      the players have next to zero bargaining power and that is just a fact of life for the CFLPA ……………. Get the best deal possible and get to work
                      Most of them make a paltry pittance. Joe Blow on the street makes more than most of the players. Not sure it would hurt them to miss some work and pick up employment elsewhere.

                      Part of the reason they have no leverage could be because the league doesn’t take them seriously either.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Grainshoveler View Post
                        The players might as well play hardball. If nobody shows up for camp it will show they are actually serious and not just sabre rattling
                        It would also be classified as an illegal strike if they chose to not show up to camp (at least according to labour laws, as outlined in the article)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I'm also far from a lawyer. I once heard they were created only so that Satan wouldn't be blamed for everything. I have no knowledge of other jurisdictions but having been around unionized environments all my life the generic process in BC is that the old deal had to expire first. Then a strike vote can happen. Once results are known they can be in position to serve 72 hours notice before being in a legal position to walk off the job.
                          A "yes" strike vote doesn't necessarily mean a union is set to walk off the job right away. Often they like to have it in their back pockets as a bargaining tool/threat.

                          This CBA expires something like the first day of training camp or no more than a day or two prior. After it has expired they could take a strike vote. So given they couldn't even hold a strike vote until camp started at the absolute earliest depending on jurisdiction they would likely be at least halfway through training camp before being in any legal position to strike and that might be restricted to certain jurisdictions. I don't know how things would fit in given the 9 teams are scattered across 6 provincial jurisdictions. Somebody with knowledge of the posties might have insights into a union bargaining on a National basis. Having said all that it doesn't mean the players in one camp or another might not take it upon themselves to go on a wildcat strike (as opposed to offense) even if only putting their helmets down for 1 practice session. That of course would lead to the usual injunctions.
                          I don't see the players jumping to strike action right away unless talks have totally broken off. Seems to me it would be a tactic best saved for the start of the regular season or even after it starts.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Tyree View Post

                            So is he...
                            touche

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by safimod View Post

                              It would also be classified as an illegal strike if they chose to not show up to camp (at least according to labour laws, as outlined in the article)
                              Can you just cut and paste that? Would be easier to reference.

                              Comment

                              Announcement

                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

                              Announcement

                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X