Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SOURCE: The Edmonton Eskimos are looking at a name change

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    A crappy team in a crap hole a city if they change the name it should be the Edmonton Enama.

    Comment


    • #47
      The Esks fight song reminds me of this one...
       

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by LongTimeRiderFan View Post

        Wrong.

        Notre Dame's roots are Fench.
        Maybe if I said their roots were Irish, which I did not, I would be wrong.

        Comment


        • #49
          The team's board is probably getting tired of defending the name every time it comes up in the media. And it's not going away. Probably better to change it now and in 10 or 15 years look back and see that it wasn't that hard or that big a deal.

          Comment


          • #50
            Thinking towards the future, they should be even more progressive and be the Edmonton #.

            Comment


            • #51
              I think this is fake news but I will cast a non-vote for Edmonton CFL'ers and reviving the classic nickname of the old Baltimore CFL club. Won a Grey Cup I recall.

              Comment


              • #52
                Edmonton Roughriders?

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by Mustard Tiger View Post

                  Maybe if I said their roots were Irish, which I did not, I would be wrong.
                  You said it was due to the "many Irish people" involved in the University, but demographically speaking the University was not especially Irish relative to any other similar University.

                  How the University of Notre Dame came to be called The Fighting Irish.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by Slowhand View Post
                    The team's board is probably getting tired of defending the name every time it comes up in the media. And it's not going away. Probably better to change it now and in 10 or 15 years look back and see that it wasn't that hard or that big a deal.
                    I tend to agree with you, it’s not going away. If they’re so inclined to change it, they could look at it as an opportunity to rebrand.

                    For the record, I quite like ‘Edmonton Elks’.
                    Last edited by Marcus Aurelius; 04-15-2019, 06:07 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Edmonton Yellowsnows
                      You matter. Unless you multiply yourself by the speed of light squared... ...then you energy.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by Marcus Aurelius View Post

                        I tend to agree with you, it’s not going away. If they’re so inclined to change it, they could look at it as an opportunity to rebrand.

                        For the record, I quite like ‘Edmonton Elks’.
                        Better than Empire, at least in my opinion. I suspect the name change is inevitable. The only question is when it happens.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by LongTimeRiderFan View Post

                          You said it was due to the "many Irish people" involved in the University, but demographically speaking the University was not especially Irish relative to any other similar University.
                          Presumably you read up to the paragraph that reads, “It’s true that four of the six religious who founded Notre Dame in 1842 with French priest Edward Sorin; that nearly all of Fr. Sorin’s successors claim Irish descent; and that the student body has always had a strong Irish presence.”

                          If you continue reading past that, it talks about the many other Irish influences at Notre Dame that led to the Fighting Irish name. In fact, almost that entire article you linked talks about the significant Irish influence at Notre Dame. Thank you for finding a good article that supports my statement.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by gilligan View Post

                            Better than Empire, at least in my opinion. I suspect the name change is inevitable. The only question is when it happens.
                            Yeah, Empire doesn’t have any appeal to me either, though it does make me chuckle a little.

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by Jiminy View Post
                              If the nickname has to change, should be to Edmonton Elks. Has history as they even played for the Grey Cup in 1922 (& is PC as far as I can tell)

                              https://stats.cfldb.ca/team/edmonton-elks/1922/
                              Isn't the plural of Elk, still Elk?

                              Empire... na, I always prefer team names with an s at the end.

                              They'll think of something good, if they choose to go down this path.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by squish View Post

                                Isn't the plural of Elk, still Elk?

                                Empire... na, I always prefer team names with an s at the end.

                                They'll think of something good, if they choose to go down this path.
                                If they leave it up to the internet for naming, I am going to hack their back-end database and load up "Boaty McBoatFace" about a million times.

                                Comment

                                Announcement

                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

                                Announcement

                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X