Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SOURCE: The Edmonton Eskimos are looking at a name change

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Such a shame. I recall a few years back that a survey was done of first nations persons that the term relates to, and the overwhelming majority were fine with it. I don't believe it hit 90%, but was upper 80s. Seems like step one should be speaking to that community and not the vocal community.

is Notre Dame next? Surely Irish are offended.
    #keepthepromise

Onward with escaping the hopeless fantasy of an artificial freedom and darkened picket fences the disillusioned front of friendly foes

Comment

Edmonton YellowGreens? Edmonton Notleys? Edmonton Bad Hockey? Edmonton Tantrums? Edmonton Flaccids?

Comment

Originally posted by Bioben View Post
        Edmonton YellowGreens? Edmonton Notleys? Edmonton Bad Hockey? Edmonton Tantrums? Edmonton Flaccids?
        Edmonton Hawaiian shirt guys, or the Edmonton 2X4 men

Comment

Double post

Comment

Originally posted by OakleyVisor View Post
            Edmonton Eagles? Too easy perhaps

Comment

Originally posted by Beacon.x View Post
              Such a shame. I recall a few years back that a survey was done of first nations persons that the term relates to, and the overwhelming majority were fine with it. I don't believe it hit 90%, but was upper 80s. Seems like step one should be speaking to that community and not the vocal community.

is Notre Dame next? Surely Irish are offended.
              The Irish nickname always gets brought up in these things but itís not comparable. That name has a few different origins but theyíre all related to the many Irish people that were involved in the collegeís early history. Whether these arguments against First Nations names have merit or not, the oft-made comparison to Notre Dame isnít valid.

Comment

Originally posted by Slowhand View Post
                Empire is an awful name. I guess they want to stick with E so they can keep the logo. While Earwigs is my preference, something like Enterprise or Energy (both also horrible) would at least have something to do with the Edmonton vibe and history. Elk (not Elks!) is the easy and best choice.
                or "Edmonton Earwax". However, anything that makes "Evil Empire" flow together better suits me just fine!!
                ZC gets another chance to feed cram sammiches!

Comment

Well, I was up in Edmonton on the weekend so I can speak to this from first hand knowledge of seeing these beasts in their nature environment.

I am going with Edmonton E-cigarettes.

Comment

Comment

Any name that isnít plural sucks.
                      Waiting for the big ole splash...actually there was no big splash, just a peaceful ripple. Dammit, there was supposed to be a big ole splash!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rock Preston #1 View Post
                        Any name that isnít plural sucks.
                        Agreed. I hate a collective name too. Makes me think they have only one player.

Comment

Edmonton Globe Gobblers has a nice ring to it.

Comment

I donít care if they change the name, go ahead. Itís a name but I do agree with CRF that with all the choices they have, ďEmpireĒ is pretty weak.

Comment

Is Empire even PC these days?

Comment

the Edmonton Ediots!

the Edmonton Evil geniuses.

Alberta boy, Rider fan

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse