Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SOURCE: The Edmonton Eskimos are looking at a name change

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Boonedock82 View Post

Not true

Man U - Red Devils
    Man City - Citizens
    Tottenham - Hot Spur
    Arsenal - Gunners
    Barcelona - Blaugrana

You would be correct in saying they are typically referred to as Man U, however each club does have a nick name / team name.
    I figured as much, but have never even heard any of those except the Man U one. Barcelona Blaugrana???? Said nobody ever!

Comment

• When I was in the UK and soccer talk broke out, I heard Hot Spur and Gunners used a lot. I would hear an expletive attached to Man U more than Red Devils though lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by CalgaryRiderFan View Post
        When I was in the UK and soccer talk broke out, I heard Hot Spur and Gunners used a lot. I would hear an expletive attached to Man U more than Red Devils though lol.
        Up in Glasgow it's the Tims (Celtic) and the Huns (Rangers)

Comment

• Originally posted by danno View Post

I figured as much, but have never even heard any of those except the Man U one. Barcelona Blaugrana???? Said nobody ever!
          Tottenham is regularly referred to by their nickname (Hot Spur), as is Arsenal (Gunners) - There are few others, but not many.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rider_Stronson View Post
            I am strongly in favour of changing the name, only because I hate Edmonton and it is beyond ridiculous

Comment

• Originally posted by safimod View Post

Tottenham is regularly referred to by their nickname (Hot Spur), as is Arsenal (Gunners) - There are few others, but not many.
              I knew you would know!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bingo_Arms View Post

I don’t see a huge issue with the name either but what if the Esks decide they don’t want to be named after a particular group of people? Can you not reapect their decision to make a change. Teams are well within their right to change their logos, colours, brand and name however they see fit. I don’t see a reason to judge them for doing what they feel is right for them.
                You don't see a reason? Consumers don't have a reason to have an opinion? The fans don't???

I honestly don't get that.

Comment

• Originally posted by LongTimeRiderFan View Post

You don't see a reason? Consumers don't have a reason to have an opinion? The fans don't???

They’re welcome to their opinion but no, they don’t have a “say”.

Comment

Sure they do, but looking historically now at the teams that have changed their names, like the Swift Current 57's example, or the UND Fighting Hawks, there seems to be, looking back, little reason for the frustration at the change to begin with. Teams have the opportunity to take on a new and better identity and the fans follow, which leads to a whole new round of merch sales, etc. I think, at the end of the day, the name of a team is less important to fans than even they themselves realize, but its more about what the team represents to their city or province.

Comment

• Originally posted by Danny Barrett Apologist View Post
                      Sure are a lot of snowflakes and crybabies about this. Gen X and boomers are so sensitive to anyone saying something should be changed because a term might be a little dated.
                      I get a huge kick out of watching smug virtue signaling leftists try to reclaim the word "snowflake" because it hurts their fee fee's. It's like watching a child trying to say their first words and the pronunciation is all wrong. Too bad you're way too old to suck at English this badly.

See, snowflake has a special meaning. It has to do with people feeling they are unique and special. It applies to people with a holier-than-thou attitude.

You're using it to mean "anybody who had a complaint about anything."

Probably because you've been called a snowflake in the past and probably because you fit the description. But trying to flip it around and calling others snowflakes when they don't fit the description, that's just sad.

People should be sensitive to whiny, entitled brats trying to take away a valued tradition because they wanna feel like they're fighting the good fight.

Comment

• Originally posted by squish View Post

Sure they do, but looking historically now at the teams that have changed their names, like the Swift Current 57's example, or the UND Fighting Hawks, there seems to be, looking back, little reason for the frustration at the change to begin with. Teams have the opportunity to take on a new and better identity and the fans follow, which leads to a whole new round of merch sales, etc. I think, at the end of the day, the name of a team is less important to fans than even they themselves realize, but its more about what the team represents to their city or province.
                        I don't care about other examples and I reject your argument of a "better identity." Better according only to people who would be miserable if they didn't find things to be miserable about. Every poll I've seen shows peopl want the name to stay the same, and the support is in the high 80's. It would seem as though that those that matter (Esks fans and CFL fans) feel the Esks identity is the better identity.

Comment

I get a huge kick out of watching smug virtue signaling leftists try to reclaim the word "snowflake" because it hurts their fee fee's. It's like watching a child trying to say their first words and the pronunciation is all wrong. Too bad you're way too old to suck at English this badly.

See, snowflake has a special meaning. It has to do with people feeling they are unique and special. It applies to people with a holier-than-thou attitude.

You're using it to mean "anybody who had a complaint about anything."

Probably because you've been called a snowflake in the past and probably because you fit the description. But trying to flip it around and calling others snowflakes when they don't fit the description, that's just sad.

People should be sensitive to whiny, entitled brats trying to take away a valued tradition because they wanna feel like they're fighting the good fight.
                          This isn't very germain to the conversation in this thread, but I've always seen the derisive use of "snowflake" as nothing more than a way to belittle people for having empathy. To me its use says more about the user than the target of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bingo_Arms View Post

They’re welcome to their opinion but no, they don’t have a “say”.
                            They do with their wallets.

Comment

I don't care about other examples and I reject your argument of a "better identity." Better according only to people who would be miserable if they didn't find things to be miserable about. Every poll I've seen shows peopl want the name to stay the same, and the support is in the high 80's. It would seem as though that those that matter (Esks fans and CFL fans) feel the Esks identity is the better identity.
                              What would be a poll in Swift Current now about the name change? Going to guess high 80's in favour of having done it, because they made the most of the opportunity of doing so. Nobody was miserable either way. Its not about being miserable, unless you find yourself being miserable over a name change for some reason.
                              Last edited by squish; 04-17-2019, 11:15 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by danno View Post

It means Blue and Red essentially. Spanish equivalent of the RedBlacks...... hahahahaha

Euro Football Clubs have interesting relationships with their names. For example Wolverhampton, is techinically Wolverhampton Wanderers F.C. by name however everyone referrs to them as Wolves.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X