Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CFL following NFL in implementing 1 helmet rule for safety

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CFL following NFL in implementing 1 helmet rule for safety

BC, Calgary, Toronto & Edmonton will be affected from last year's use of 2 different coloured helmets.

Stamps Store‏ @stampsstore
    FollowFollow @stampsstore

More
    Replying to @Doc_On_Top
    Yes, all teams in the CFL are going down to one helmet this year so we are wearing our traditional reds for all games!

BC will go with black helmets, Calgary with red, Toronto with blue & Edmonton with gold. All of these are improvements, esp in BC & Calgary where the orange lids were ugly & Calgary should never have added black to their uniforms (the team is known as the Red & White afterall).

Last edited by Jiminy; 04-12-2019, 10:50 AM.

I did enjoy the white helmets the Riders used a few years ago but as far as CFL as a whole - if they think it improves players safety with one dedicated helmet - sounds good.

Comment

Originally posted by Jiminy View Post
      BC, Calgary, Toronto & Edmonton will be affected from last year's use of 2 different coloured helmets.

Stamps Store‏ @stampsstore
      FollowFollow @stampsstore

More
      Replying to @Doc_On_Top
      Yes, all teams in the CFL are going down to one helmet this year so we are wearing our traditional reds for all games!

BC will go with black helmets, Calgary with red, Toronto with blue & Edmonton with gold. All of these are improvements, esp in BC & Calgary where the orange lids were ugly & Calgary should never have added black to their uniforms (the team is known as the Red & White afterall).

Where'd you get that picture from of the BC Lions unis?

Comment

Originally posted by Rider_Stronson View Post

Where'd you get that picture from of the BC Lions unis?
        Noticed those were identical to the leak earlier this year. Taken before free agency what with Jennings modeling.

Comment

What's the rationale behind the improved safety? Seems like it should be the other way around (both helmets would stay "newer") but maybe I'm missing something.
          Is it May yet?

Comment

Originally posted by juice View Post
            What's the rationale behind the improved safety? Seems like it should be the other way around (both helmets would stay "newer") but maybe I'm missing something.
            I always wondered that myself. If they put that rule in the NCAA Oregon would be hooped.
            Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

Comment

Google hasn't been a whole lot of help, what is a "one helmet rule"?
              ZC gets another chance to feed cram sammiches!

Comment

Pretty sure it's all about liability and head/neck injuries. Guy gets hurt wearing the alternate helmet, he can claim it was because he was forced to wear the new gear instead of his safe old gear.

Comment

Originally posted by Mallard View Post
                  Google hasn't been a whole lot of help, what is a "one helmet rule"?
                  It's what a woman agrees to adhere to when she gets married.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhetorical Surf View Post

It's what a woman agrees to adhere to when she gets married.
                    I thought that was called avoiding contact
                    Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

Comment

Originally posted by juice View Post
                      I'm having a difficult time figuring out any logic in that. I'm also having a difficult time trying to think of a team that used different helmets for home and away or flip-flopped them around during the season. Only scenario that comes to mind is when a team uses a retro uniform and sports the helmet of the retro era. I actually kind of liked what Montreal did last year changing their lids every month.

Comment

Originally posted by Slowhand View Post
                        Pretty sure it's all about liability and head/neck injuries. Guy gets hurt wearing the alternate helmet, he can claim it was because he was forced to wear the new gear instead of his safe old gear.
                        So a player could sue if he gets hurt in Week 1 with a new lid but not in Week 16 when it might be somewhat worn and compromised?

Comment

Originally posted by Hambone View Post

I'm also having a difficult time trying to think of a team that used different helmets for home and away or flip-flopped them around during the season.
                          Argos wore two helmets throughout the 2017 and 2018 seasons. In 2017 they wore blue helmet eight times and white helmet 12 times (including postseason). I didn't track it game by game last year but they definitely wore both helmets regularly.
                          ---

Author of Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (the inside story of the 1983 Toronto Argonauts). Next up, a book about the 1991 Argos (working subtitle The year the CFL Went Hollywood). To be published . . . whenever it is done.

Comment

https://uni-watch.com/an-faq-for-the-nfls-helmet-rule/

Comment

Could it be from 1 single approved supplier? I posed a question here a few years back when I noticed Doubles wearing a different lid from other players, was told there were multiple suppliers.

Could be ?
                              Press here to reset

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X