Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CFL European Draft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dreegking View Post

So in other words...no plan. No need. Teams scout already. They could have signed them as FA.
    If the league intends to require every team to have a player or two, but they don't have a draft, then nothing would stop one or two teams from trying to hog all the good talent.

From the European draft, it seems there was a pretty big gap between the top few who might legitimately be able to contribute right away, and the rest of the field. It'd be a huge advantage if one team could sign the top 5 guys for themselves. A draft prevents that from happening.

Comment

Originally posted by johndryden View Post
      I am curious as to how many of these Global/Mexican players will find their way onto opening day active rosters. I have no idea about this and wonder what others think. My spec guess is the number will be almost none but maybe I am out to lunch Ö..
      Honestly it depends on how the CFL decides to accommodate the Global players. They could be get their own spot on the roster or the PR, which would be fine by me IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by gilligan View Post

If the league intends to require every team to have a player or two, but they don't have a draft, then nothing would stop one or two teams from trying to hog all the good talent.

From the European draft, it seems there was a pretty big gap between the top few who might legitimately be able to contribute right away, and the rest of the field. It'd be a huge advantage if one team could sign the top 5 guys for themselves. A draft prevents that from happening.
        I say, ya, so! Itís calked recruiting. Nothing stops teams from trying to hog all the good talent outside of Canada already.

Comment

I say, ya, so! Itís calked recruiting. Nothing stops teams from trying to hog all the good talent outside of Canada already.
          Except the negotiation list, which controls entry into the CFL by non-Canadian talent. Canada talent is controlled by a draft. Nothing is a free for all.

Comment

Originally posted by johndryden View Post
            I am curious as to how many of these Global/Mexican players will find their way onto opening day active rosters. I have no idea about this and wonder what others think. My spec guess is the number will be almost none but maybe I am out to lunch Ö..
            This season.... most likely zero, with maybe 1-2 throughout the league finding a spot as a ST/Backup... but I ask you this... How many kids from the CFL draft will end up on the active roster/ opening day roster this year?

This is about encouraging development to allow for the game to grow and in 5+ years from now we could have a solid group emerging to help push our own kids to better themselves as well...

for those wanting the best talent available, you all seem pretty confident that sitting on our hands and praying off the NFL rejects or those neglected by the NFL is "the best available"... If we build a system to improve our quality and the quality of those outside the US, that just forces those US football kids to push harder to compete as well.

let's stop the broken record of "American players are better" because that simply isn't always true, and improving our developmental programs for our youth and youth around the world is the first step to leveling the playing field.

Look at Women's hockey.... North America was dominant, with Can and US facing each other in the finals almost exclusively.... but now other programs are catching up and rivaling that of Canada and the US.... it has to start somewhere, and doesn't happen overnight. it requires strategies to be put in place and development to continue and grow.

We will get there, and Grid iron football will be better because of it.

Listen to how many American's will snub their nose at the U19 football world's competition.... Canada won, Mexico gave us a run for our money.... but American's will say "that wasn't our best kids"

So basically, those kids were on the same developmental curve as the rest of the competitors, and thus got beat.. Seems perfectly fair to me..
            Last edited by Itzgodzilla; 04-17-2019, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Wow, Interesting site that covers 'American Football' news from around the globe.

https://www.americanfootballinternational.com, neat to see all the different regions that have some form of American Football
              '

Also fun to see the CFL trending far more then the NFL in the North American Region.
              Last edited by Itzgodzilla; 04-17-2019, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gilligan View Post

Except the negotiation list, which controls entry into the CFL by non-Canadian talent. Canada talent is controlled by a draft. Nothing is a free for all.
                The negotiation list still allows for teams to hog if they can. Even moreso. And frankly nothing stops European players from being put on it.

although now that they are ready eligible, perhsps not. Another reason I do t line tgeRuropean draft idea. Let teams find and compete for talent outside of the National draft. Why not have a draft of Smerican players Instead of a negotiation list?

Comment

The negotiation list still allows for teams to hog if they can. Even moreso. And frankly nothing stops European players from being put on it.

although now that they are ready eligible, perhsps not. Another reason I do t line tgeRuropean draft idea. Let teams find and compete for talent outside of the National draft. Why not have a draft of Smerican players Instead of a negotiation list?
                  The neglist format works because the pool of American players is so massive that even if a team could get their favourite 30-50 guys on their negotiation list, there would be plenty of talent to go around for everyone. The same can't get said for Canadian or Global players. If teams could use the neglist for those players, the entire talent pool could be monopolised by a team or two, locking everyone else out from a resource that every team will need. A draft ensures everyone gets a portion of the very limited resource.

Comment

Ya.

Still think a euroean draft is silly. Just scout them. I guess this means what, a starter in ratio? Thatís the logical deduction. Itís just all silly. But not the end of the world.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X