Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Contingency plan for a possible labour dispute

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jlh2640 View Post

Summer eh but also Some type of work stoppage, the players dont have much pull but this is not looking like a good solution is coming
    The players will crumble like crackers going into soup.
    Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

Comment

• I don't see any way the league could (or should) pay salary during the off-season. Pay has to be tied to participation on game rosters (or injury lists), and those change week to week during the season. Otherwise you will end up paying a lot of money to guys who don't always (or ever) dress.

If players negotiate off-season bonuses, more power to them, and teams absolutely should live up to paying whatever each individual player contract says. If teams are not paying bonuses they signed off on contractually, that's wrong. If teams signed guys to contracts stipulating that bonuses would be payable on ratification of the next CBA, they are perfectly within their rights not to pay at this point. Players presumably would have signed off on that as well. I have not heard anyone suggesting that teams are breaching contractual commitments; if that's the case, players knew (or should have known) that their off-season bonuses would be paid only on ratification.
      ---

Author of Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (the inside story of the 1983 Toronto Argonauts). Next up, a book about the 1991 Argos (working subtitle The year the CFL Went Hollywood). To be published . . . whenever it is done.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigsexydawg View Post

The players will crumble like crackers going into soup.
        Yep,but it does not make a very good long term working situation

Comment

• Originally posted by Beacon.x View Post

Is there a league anywhere that the players are employees?

Profession athletes are ineligible for workers comp throughout Canada. They'd best invest in some damned good lawyers, because they've lost that battle before. I can assure you that lawyers in some jurisdictions (I know for certain in Saskatchewan, where this is presently being discussed and will likely be going to court next year) have been building cases against it for years now in preparation. It is presently being looked at again in a couple of provinces, but I would suspect previous rulings in other provinces will be followed, at which point they can try their luck in supreme court. The league technically can't even provide it for them even if they wanted to, and honestly, standard WCB policies (not saying an amendment or athlete clause is not possible, just stating standard WCB as it stands) would be fricken massive premiums after a few years, seeing as premiums are related to various things, not just time missed because of injury. Adopting something like in California might be manageable. The flip side is that as soon as those are paid for, then the great conditioning and rehab personnel, and getting athletes into premier doctors and such is all gone. Premiums would be high enough without using those expensive services that only drive up premiums even more, thus players likely actually end up with worse treatment while playing. Now, the 12 month coverage after being done playing, that needs to change. I fully support much improved benefits, but something like workers comp would be a pretty crippling premium, which is why they are ineligible as it stands. Another concern I have with the concept of WCB is players being pushed back too soon. Players want to play, and they will push themselves to do so. My fear is that shady staff would at times get a player back out there, thus signing off the claim, and suddenly they would be released. At least now a player can sit on the injured list for an extended period and even if they are done at the end of that year, they get another year of coverage (which needs to be improved). No question improvements to health benefits need improved, and I think both sides have said that publicly, but WCB is a dangerous and costly (more than just financially) tree to climb.
          You built a big argument against the idea by going full bore into WCB stuff. Thereís no need for that necessarily.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beacon.x View Post

Idunno, that seems like a way to not push to find better players and thus cause stagnancy. Too expensive cap wise to challenge vets. It also encourages 1 year contracts. A guy like Grant would simply not be displaced by someone like JWL, for example. Too expensive on the cap. I loved having JWL around, even if only for a year.
            I donít really understand your conclusion here. Iím kinda being presumptive below...

Teams will always push for improvement regardless.

Why does it push for one year contracts? Teams will still pay regardless of one or not.

Im just saying, a month after a season ends, players under contract are already earning pay checks. If you are saying that means teams are committed more because they are already paying the player. Then yes. They are committed more. Donít sign a player for two then. Yes. But if you like them. You should. If you scouted and invested energy in training and finding them you should not be unhappy about longer. Commit. Or let them go.

Also, offseason pay can be scaled differently. Maybe itís 25 percent. But as it is, teams play games with players in a very unbalanced way. There needs to be added stakes for teams playing games in signing players. Imo.

As a fan Iím much happier about less roster turnover. Or at least getting to know a player better. I like the idea of teams having to commit to two years. Which I would argue would occur more than teams choosing to sign players to one year as you suggest (in avoiding paying players the upcoming seasons salary starting in January (for example) - to avoid a portion of a vets salary in the offseason that teams might let go. Hell, they do this with signing bonus money already.
            Last edited by Dreegking; 04-15-2019, 09:18 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dreegking View Post

I donít really understand your conclusion here. Iím kinda being presumptive below...

Teams will always push for improvement regardless.

Why does it push for one year contracts? Teams will still pay regardless of one or not.

Im just saying, a month after a season ends, players under contract are already earning pay checks. If you are saying that means teams are committed more because they are already paying the player. Then yes. They are committed more. Donít sign a player for two then. Yes. But if you like them. You should. If you scouted and invested energy in training and finding them you should not be unhappy about longer. Commit. Or let them go.

Also, offseason pay can be scaled differently. Maybe itís 25 percent. But as it is, teams play games with players in a very unbalanced way. There needs to be added stakes for teams playing games in signing players. Imo.

As a fan Iím much happier about less roster turnover. Or at least getting to know a player better. I like the idea of teams having to commit to two years. Which I would argue would occur more than teams choosing to sign players to one year as you suggest (in avoiding paying players the upcoming seasons salary starting in January (for example) - to avoid a portion of a vets salary in the offseason that teams might let go. Hell, they do this with signing bonus money already.
              If you are paying people year round, then you have half their salary hitting SMS by camp. Makes it tough to part ways with them. If you are paying 60k, then by camp you have already paid 25k. Now you find someone better and pay them 60k. That position is a 85k cap hit. I mean, unless one is suggesting that the contract be prorated and believe that the new player is going to sign on for 35k this year, 60 next. Tough sell IMO
              #keepthepromise

Onward with escaping the hopeless fantasy of an artificial freedom and darkened picket fences the disillusioned front of friendly foes

Comment

• Originally posted by Dreegking View Post

You built a big argument against the idea by going full bore into WCB stuff. Thereís no need for that necessarily.
                Totally agree. That said, benefits do need to improve.
                #keepthepromise

Onward with escaping the hopeless fantasy of an artificial freedom and darkened picket fences the disillusioned front of friendly foes

Comment

• Originally posted by Simkin View Post

That $76M is his guaranteed at signing, which gets spread out over the first few years of his contract. His cap hit last year was only $21M or 12% of the $177M. This season his cap hit goes up to $26.5M (or 15%)
                  So despite two years left on his previous contract, the Green Bay Packers rewarded their franchise QB in late August with a blockbuster extension worth $134 million over four years. His average salary of $33.5 million is once again tops in the sport, and his total salary and bonuses in 2018 are a one-year record of $66.9 million. Off-field earnings of $9 million push his total comp for 2018 to more than $75 million.

Looks to me as if he got his money last year.

Comment

• Originally posted by mikejth View Post

So despite two years left on his previous contract, the Green Bay Packers rewarded their franchise QB in late August with a blockbuster extension worth $134 million over four years. His average salary of $33.5 million is once again tops in the sport, and his total salary and bonuses in 2018 are a one-year record of $66.9 million. Off-field earnings of $9 million push his total comp for 2018 to more than $75 million.

Looks to me as if he got his money last year.
                    You're correct, he got a crap load of money last year. But the way that his contract is laid out, his cap hit isn't $75 million. As I stated previously, his hit was only $21 million last year, and will be $26.5 million this coming season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Simkin View Post

You're correct, he got a crap load of money last year. But the way that his contract is laid out, his cap hit isn't $75 million. As I stated previously, his hit was only $21 million last year, and will be $26.5 million this coming season.
                      Maybe this is the work around to it...

All bonuses are paid up-front, and the contract depicts how it will hit the SMS.... for example... on a 3 year contract, the player is going to recieve 200k in bonus (paid in a lump sum) and in the contract the team states it will hit 70k year 1, 70k year 2 and 60k in year 3? allowing the player to cash in, and the teams to manage SMS over the length of the contract.... maybe even have it fluid in that teams just need to have the bonus fully accounted for in SMS by the end of the contract date.

Sure, it might cut down on bonuses, but it would also be reflected in higher salaries then, either you take a lower salary and allow teams to spread the bonus out over the term, or no bonuses and your full salary is unprotected.. I'd also have it so that in the case a player leaves on his own accord, or violates the terms of his contract forcing the team to release him, the player owes back an amount pro-rated by the number of games remaining on his contract. In the case of serious injury where the player is unable to continue playing, the bonus remains with the player and the remaining SMS hit is absorbed by the league instead of the team.

Comment

• Enjoy the summer !

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X