Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Contingency plan for a possible labour dispute

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Contingency plan for a possible labour dispute

    Normally I watch all of the previous season's Rider games (one per week) right after the Superbowl as a way to have a football fix in the off-season. Because of the CBA talks and the possibility of a labour dispute, I have held off. If there is a dispute, I can exhaust those games. Right behind that is Youtube and various football content and then the NFL network. Who can't get excited about OTAs?

    I think I can outlast the player's association and the league if they both get stupid.

  • #2
    I am really hoping both sides resolve at or before deadline, as a stoppage will not benefit anyone.

    That said, I hope the league comes in with some wins for the players, but there may need to be some concessions by the CFLPA on a few "major" issues... Player safety isn't going to be solved overnight, but I think if the league agrees to mandate it as a priority for improving as the CBA goes on (which they obviously have been). I'd also like to see some form of revenue share established from new market revenue going to the players... possibly that is what helps fund the Long term care / injury benefits that the players are looking for.

    The players also need to be realistic that there is a reason the CFL has endured as long as it has compared ot the other US pop-ups through the years... and alot of that has been due to the salary cap keeping salaries modest incomes instead of absurd paydays.

    I would be okay with a modest increase to minimum salaries, as I feel that would help reign in some other expenses like QB.... if you want to throw 700k at a QB, then expect to have A LOT of rookies on the field with him... This year has been the perfect storm for a disfunctional negotiation platform.... AAFL starts with higher wages, Player Safety concerns, CFL 2.0 kicks off, AAFL folds, NFL annouces some international plans.

    Comment


    • #3
      My contingency would be to sell all my Rider gear, pick an NFL team and forget the CFL ever existed.

      Comment


      • #4
        What I find hypocritical from the CFLPA is they are all gung ho about player safety yet they often appeal suspensions for dirty hits. Do your part and police yourselves boys.
        Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

        Comment


        • #5
          The league and Riders have my money. My contingency plan is I donít think there will be a work stoppage because the CFLPA doesnít have the unity and resources.
          Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Bigsexydawg View Post
            The league and Riders have my money. My contingency plan is I donít think there will be a work stoppage because the CFLPA doesnít have the unity and resources.
            I think that's about right. It'll go down a lot like last time. CFLPA will continue to bargain through the media in an attempt to win public sentiment, they'll publically take a strong "not backing down this time" stance, get fans into a tizzy that the season won't happen, and then right at the last minute they'll cave on almost everything.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Bigsexydawg View Post
              What I find hypocritical from the CFLPA is they are all gung ho about player safety yet they often appeal suspensions for dirty hits. Do your part and police yourselves boys.
              I cannot agree with enough. Absolutely drives me crazy every time they open their mouths crying for changes in the name of player safety but instantly appeal suspensions for dirty hits.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by RiderHard View Post
                My contingency would be to sell all my Rider gear, pick an NFL team and forget the CFL ever existed.
                Yes, because the NFL has never had a labour disruption.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Bigsexydawg View Post
                  What I find hypocritical from the CFLPA is they are all gung ho about player safety yet they often appeal suspensions for dirty hits. Do your part and police yourselves boys.
                  This drives me a bit nuts, but it is the case with every league. It is an us against them mentality. They say they are going to bat for their union member, well, why not go to bat for your couple hundred members instead of the one, especially if they are a repeat offender. If a player approaches the union, they are unfortunately obligated to try to help them. Perhaps what they need to encourage is the player that received the dirty hit to step forward, because they are also obligated to help them.

                  Meanwhile, the league brings in new rules every year to attempt addressing concerns (this year is wedge blocks), gave an extra bye for recovery, unpadded practices, injury spotters, etc. These were league mandated things, not CBA. PAs resolve for player health seems to start and stop with grander benefits, and don't get me wrong, I hope they get them. I never want to see another Jonathan Hefney situation again.
                  #keepthepromise

                  Onward with escaping the hopeless fantasy of an artificial freedom and darkened picket fences the disillusioned front of friendly foes

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Thereís other sports to fill the void until.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Rhetorical Surf View Post

                      I think that's about right. It'll go down a lot like last time. CFLPA will continue to bargain through the media in an attempt to win public sentiment, they'll publically take a strong "not backing down this time" stance, get fans into a tizzy that the season won't happen, and then right at the last minute they'll cave on almost everything.
                      I think the only part you're missing is that the league will adjust their final offer slightly in the players favour, allowing the players to take it and save some face.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by gilligan View Post

                        I think the only part you're missing is that the league will adjust their final offer slightly in the players favour, allowing the players to take it and save some face.
                        I think it will be tough for the league to walk out of this CBA without some sort of increase, or plan to increase, to the minimum salary during the duration of the next CBA.... They publicly announced that they would be open to considering raising the minimum, potentially even as high as up to 70k. While I can't see that as a day 1 change, I could see a 5 year change with minimums raising each year slightly until they reach their max goal, which could be 70k... who knows..

                        But it will be a longer process to allow team to setup contracts accordingly and not be forced to sleep in the beds they just made with paying QB's some absurd contracts.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Itzgodzilla View Post

                          I think it will be tough for the league to walk out of this CBA without some sort of increase, or plan to increase, to the minimum salary during the duration of the next CBA.... They publicly announced that they would be open to considering raising the minimum, potentially even as high as up to 70k. While I can't see that as a day 1 change, I could see a 5 year change with minimums raising each year slightly until they reach their max goal, which could be 70k... who knows..

                          But it will be a longer process to allow team to setup contracts accordingly and not be forced to sleep in the beds they just made with paying QB's some absurd contracts.
                          It will be one of the following:

                          significant sms increase
                          increased minimums
                          increased benefits

                          The CFLPA arenít getting all 3.
                          Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Beacon.x View Post

                            This drives me a bit nuts, but it is the case with every league. It is an us against them mentality. They say they are going to bat for their union member, well, why not go to bat for your couple hundred members instead of the one, especially if they are a repeat offender. If a player approaches the union, they are unfortunately obligated to try to help them. Perhaps what they need to encourage is the player that received the dirty hit to step forward, because they are also obligated to help them.

                            Meanwhile, the league brings in new rules every year to attempt addressing concerns (this year is wedge blocks), gave an extra bye for recovery, unpadded practices, injury spotters, etc. These were league mandated things, not CBA. PAs resolve for player health seems to start and stop with grander benefits, and don't get me wrong, I hope they get them. I never want to see another Jonathan Hefney situation again.
                            I agree with everything you say, as an aside Iíve found the best thing about something thatís driving you nuts is itís usually not a very long drive! Cheers!
                            Press here to reset

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I wonder if Keanu Reeves would still be able to suit up and play QB with us and our replacement players.

                              Comment

                              Announcement

                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

                              Announcement

                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X