Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rule Change Seriously?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Rule Change Seriously?

    • Making the use of three or more wedge blockers on kicking plays illegal.
    personally I would love to see how refs are going to enforce this

    If you see a wedge block on a play lift your hands if there are three hands up at the end of the kickoff we drop a flag?

    Command will review the film after every kickoff to ensure there were no more than 2 wedge blockers?

    Do they even have a universally accepted definition of what a wedge block is?

    Has this been a problem?


  • #2
    Originally posted by Rotor View Post
    • Making the use of three or more wedge blockers on kicking plays illegal.
    personally I would love to see how refs are going to enforce this

    If you see a wedge block on a play lift your hands if there are three hands up at the end of the kickoff we drop a flag?

    Command will review the film after every kickoff to ensure there were no more than 2 wedge blockers?

    Do they even have a universally accepted definition of what a wedge block is?

    Has this been a problem?
    Maybe they should have all players on kickoffs/kick returns wear those giant bubbles, that way nobody should get hurt.

    Comment


    • #3
      Don't know about the CFL but the NFL has had this rule for a while. I don't see it called much. Either it's loosely enforced or teams adjusted. I don't think it's going to be something that we'll notice

      Comment


      • #4
        Yes, this rule was out into the NFL to help reduce injury I believe. The result in my opinion has been to negate really good returns as well. The NFL special team game is anaemic at best. Hope that doesn't happen here.

        Comment


        • #5
          Doubt this will make much of a difference, and a lot of kick return schemes now a days have gone away from the tight wall scheme. 3-4 guys will eventually team up and form a barrier, but the link arms and run scheme isn't around much anymore.
          Last edited by CoachKris; 04-10-2019, 11:04 AM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Rotor View Post
            • Making the use of three or more wedge blockers on kicking plays illegal.
            personally I would love to see how refs are going to enforce this

            If you see a wedge block on a play lift your hands if there are three hands up at the end of the kickoff we drop a flag?

            Command will review the film after every kickoff to ensure there were no more than 2 wedge blockers?

            Do they even have a universally accepted definition of what a wedge block is?

            Has this been a problem?
            It's actually really easy to notice. It's always the second row of blockers from the back who form the wedge.

            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZL_q7oUVrQ

            Comment


            • #7
              For those who hate leagues for coming up with these rules to reduce injuries, come up with a practical solution for them to get rid of these concussion law suits and issues pending. Once they have that I am sure they will be happy to go back to the way things were.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Rotor View Post
                • Making the use of three or more wedge blockers on kicking plays illegal.
                personally I would love to see how refs are going to enforce this

                If you see a wedge block on a play lift your hands if there are three hands up at the end of the kickoff we drop a flag?

                Command will review the film after every kickoff to ensure there were no more than 2 wedge blockers?

                Do they even have a universally accepted definition of what a wedge block is?

                Has this been a problem?
                As was discussed in the rules thread, this is something already widely enforced in other leagues with no issues. It's a player safety thing
                #keepthepromise

                Onward with escaping the hopeless fantasy of an artificial freedom and darkened picket fences the disillusioned front of friendly foes

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Beacon.x View Post

                  As was discussed in the rules thread, this is something already widely enforced in other leagues with no issues. It's a player safety thing
                  And being a 15 yarder from point of foul, coaches won't even have a wedge block in the special teams playbook anymore. The reason that it is rarely called in the states is that it isn't used anymore, not that the call gets missed.
                  As a ref in high school, those wedges (which are still legal in amateur) make me cringe. Some of the scariest injuries I've seen were the result of the wedge and the idiot who would try and bust them up.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by footballisgood View Post

                    And being a 15 yarder from point of foul, coaches won't even have a wedge block in the special teams playbook anymore. The reason that it is rarely called in the states is that it isn't used anymore, not that the call gets missed.
                    As a ref in high school, those wedges (which are still legal in amateur) make me cringe. Some of the scariest injuries I've seen were the result of the wedge and the idiot who would try and bust them up.
                    Yup. Unfortunately, it is a solid answer to 'stay in your lane' coverage teams, especially at lower levels of ball. When you are in lower level of ball, it can be very effective, even though dangerous. When you get into a pro level and the athletes can all work outside in around it, then it loses a pile of it's effectiveness. But yeah, seeing a 210lb player sprint full speed into 600lb+ of bulk can be a scary sight.
                    #keepthepromise

                    Onward with escaping the hopeless fantasy of an artificial freedom and darkened picket fences the disillusioned front of friendly foes

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by footballisgood View Post

                      And being a 15 yarder from point of foul, coaches won't even have a wedge block in the special teams playbook anymore. The reason that it is rarely called in the states is that it isn't used anymore, not that the call gets missed.
                      As a ref in high school, those wedges (which are still legal in amateur) make me cringe. Some of the scariest injuries I've seen were the result of the wedge and the idiot who would try and bust them up.
                      It always seemed such an oddity to me. All those tough macho football players and special teams being the most gladiator type of the action, and when the wedge was there you would see 2-3 guys holding hands running up the field together.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by CalgaryRiderFan View Post

                        It always seemed such an oddity to me. All those tough macho football players and special teams being the most gladiator type of the action, and when the wedge was there you would see 2-3 guys holding hands running up the field together.
                        Well, in fairness, they play to hoist glorified dining ware (Grey Cup) and the right to acquire and wear jewelry (Ring). Just sayin.
                        #keepthepromise

                        Onward with escaping the hopeless fantasy of an artificial freedom and darkened picket fences the disillusioned front of friendly foes

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by CalgaryRiderFan View Post
                          For those who hate leagues for coming up with these rules to reduce injuries, come up with a practical solution for them to get rid of these concussion law suits and issues pending. Once they have that I am sure they will be happy to go back to the way things were.
                          Honestly I donít know why anyone would be against improving player safety. The less injuries we get, the better the play on the field should be.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Beacon.x View Post

                            Yup. Unfortunately, it is a solid answer to 'stay in your lane' coverage teams, especially at lower levels of ball. When you are in lower level of ball, it can be very effective, even though dangerous. When you get into a pro level and the athletes can all work outside in around it, then it loses a pile of it's effectiveness. But yeah, seeing a 210lb player sprint full speed into 600lb+ of bulk can be a scary sight.
                            It's even more scary when it is 150 pound grade 10s who are trying to impress their coaches and older team mates. I would also love to see off-balanced kick formations banned too. So many teams will have 9 or 10 guys on the short side of the field for a short kick and nothing but carnage ensues. The kicking team gets a head start and are almost always at full speed by 10 yards. The kids on the receiving team may not have the best football knowledge so the coach teaches them to never encroach on the ten yards once the ball is kicked so they are just sitting ducks.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by CalgaryRiderFan View Post

                              It always seemed such an oddity to me. All those tough macho football players and special teams being the most gladiator type of the action, and when the wedge was there you would see 2-3 guys holding hands running up the field together.
                              You don't even need to be holding hands for it to be a wedge, just less than two yards apart. But it makes it much easier if you are running forward looking at your block to be holding hands with your team-mate. I find it even more odd when you see receivers low 5 each other on crossing patterns because the coaches want them as close to one another as possible when they cross.

                              Comment

                              Announcement

                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

                              Announcement

                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X