Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ballsy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What the attendance like at a Rams game in Regina ? Looks like around 2000 lol. This is Rider town not a football town.
    Last edited by Greenwall; 03-21-2019, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigsexydawg View Post

Lowering the ratio is going to kill grassroots football in Canada is fear mongering IMO.
      It certainly is. I've talked to several people in favour of lowering the ratio who love U Sports Football and all minor league football in Canada more than most. I'm in favour of lowering the ratio as I think it's more than overdue and I love this football too. It's not going to make one iota's worth of difference.

And people need to get a grip about it going from 5, to 3, then to 1, then to none. I've talked to ZERO people who say the ratio should be lowered who advocate such a position. I've said it before. It could be 5 for a long, long time. And then who knows, if conditions favour it in the future, it could even go up slightly.

Comment

Originally posted by Itzgodzilla View Post

If your kid shows talent, and they don't need to be 12, I am talking 15+ year olds getting into High school football. .. There are just some positions that will get you more consideration then others... and if you don't believe it, it happens in the US ALL THE TIME... a gifted QB, who is capable, but maybe not record breaking in high school / college decides to change focus to DB or WR to improve his chances of getting attention in the Pro's.... Nick Marshall is a great example.. People in Ridernation are calling for us to give him his chance at QB, and he gave that up when he decided he wanted to get a shot at the NFL... the guy is a crazy good athlete, and could be a really good QB... but he can also be a really good DB... so why chase the massive payday with huge chance of failure, versus the moderate payday with greater chance of success...

For all we know Marshall really wants to be a QB... but he really wants a chance to be in the NFL more...

And I don't know what you are talking about parents not worrying about it.... my son is 5, and dreams of being a football player. He is already asking me what position I think he should play... He would be one heck of a DB/ LB or a RB, but he really likes the idea of being a QB.. I am encouraging him to do what he likes and to be sure above all else he is safe and having fun, but also explained to him that there are not many Canadian QB's in the league, and he will need to work hard if he wants to get a chance.

Now I understand that you can't teach size, and so his development and how he grows will play a lot into the looks he gets as well, (not many looks for guys that are 5' 7") but the idea that I already feel the need to explain how hard it is for a Canadian to make a roster, to my 5 year old, is a little absurd.

There are no spots "given" to Canadians.. you earn it either through being the ultimate locker room guy, who keeps everyone focused, or by being an ABSOLUTE beast at a position... whether that is on O, D, or ST.... you need ot be willing to give it 110% all day, every day... unless you are okay with the idea of just being a ST demon for your career. (Nothing against the ST demons, but I doubt they would ever turn down the chance to battle it out for a starting spot on the field.)
        Well the kid in the tweet was moving into peewee so thatís about twelve years old. I also agree that itís absurd that youíre explaining to a five year old how hard it will be to make a CFL roster.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigsexydawg View Post

Lowering the ratio is going to kill grassroots football in Canada is fear mongering IMO.
          Yes I agree. And for what itís worth I would leave the ratio as is. But Iím not predicting the doom of Canadian football if they go with the proposed change.

Comment

If there is a strong interest in amateur football there will be a strong interest in the CFL. If young people aren't connected or interested in Canadian football the CFL is trending down. We could learn a lot from the NFL in marketing and promoting . In the short term I don't think the ratio really matters. For the highly talented Canadians who almost made the NFL cut wouldn't the CFL be a good option to further develop and refine your skills so you have a better chance the second time around?

Comment

Originally posted by Tyree View Post

Just click on the tweet, it will take you to the thread.

PeeWee football is serious business!
              This dad needs to get a grip. First, the odds of your kid making it to U Sports is ridiculously low. And the odds of a U Sports kid making it to the CFL, regardless of position, is ridiculously low.

Comment

Originally posted by brady View Post
                If there is a strong interest in amateur football there will be a strong interest in the CFL. If young people aren't connected or interested in Canadian football the CFL is trending down. We could learn a lot from the NFL in marketing and promoting . In the short term I don't think the ratio really matters. For the highly talented Canadians who almost made the NFL cut wouldn't the CFL be a good option to further develop and refine your skills so you have a better chance the second time around?
                Highly talented Canadians almost making the CFL are theoretically as good as an American at their position. Why would lowering the ratio change that?
                Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

Comment

From Clamps who is having trouble with his computer getting on here:

I am really sad & disgusted with all the talk of lowering the number of Canadians starting & on Canadian football rosters. When I played 1961-1972 we had 19 Canadians & 12 or 13 Americans so I guess you could have said their were 11 or 12 Canadian starters since very few played 2 ways much. I played 2 years with the Saskatoon Hilltops before the Riders & I was able to make 7 All Star Teams in my 12 years. & of the 4 American head coaches that I had were prejudice against Canadians & for American players. Eagle Keys was the only Coach that treated Canadians fairly & equal to Americans. My brother Cliff was a very good back up Linebacker guard & centre for 5 or 6 years & would have been a starter if Eagle had remained with us as head coach. When Eagle went to BC about 69 , Dave Skrien either cut or traded Cliff to Calgary & or Winnipeg & he hurt his back had a spinal fusion operation & had to retire. I am very sure if Eagle would have stayed in Regina Cliff would have been a started & probably an All Star because he was just as good a football player as I was. Wally Dempsey was a good US middle Lber with us in the 1966 Grey Cup but he then went to BC to play for Eagle. When Wally left we went through 3 or 4 American middle linebackers with Dave Skrien and I am quite certain none of them could play MLB better than Cliff Or I or Don Seaman or several other Canadian LBers. Skrien like most American Coaches & a lot of Canadian fans are to prejudiced & brain washed into thinking all American football players are always better than Canadians. If the evolution of more American starters continues it won't be long before we won't have any Canadians playing & I will quite watching & being a fan & will only watch Canadian junior & College football and the CFl will just become a farm system for the NFL with 2nd rate American players.

Comment

Originally posted by Mustard Tiger View Post

Well the kid in the tweet was moving into peewee so thatís about twelve years old. I also agree that itís absurd that youíre explaining to a five year old how hard it will be to make a CFL roster.
                    I am not saying I need to go in depth with a 5 year old.. I just simply explained that it is hard to do, but if he works hard at it he can do it. The point I was making is that it is a real conversation, just as much so as kids in grade 5-6 having a "career" day to tell them, about what type of jobs there are... it helps inspire the kids interested to strive for it.

Not all kids just stumble onto a field and are gifted into a natural fit... You need to find what works and what they want to do...

Comment

• Originally posted by Rider_Stronson View Post

It certainly is. I've talked to several people in favour of lowering the ratio who love U Sports Football and all minor league football in Canada more than most. I'm in favour of lowering the ratio as I think it's more than overdue and I love this football too. It's not going to make one iota's worth of difference.

And people need to get a grip about it going from 5, to 3, then to 1, then to none. I've talked to ZERO people who say the ratio should be lowered who advocate such a position. I've said it before. It could be 5 for a long, long time. And then who knows, if conditions favour it in the future, it could even go up slightly.
                      I'm sure the same things were said when they went from 10 to 7. There was no need to worry about it going to 5, then 3, etc. Yet here we are, with the GMs looking to lower it yet again.

The worst part is that we're here even though Canadian talent is immensely better than when they last changed it in the 90s. How does it make sense that we had the the talent to fill out 10 starting spots in the early 90s, and 7 since then, but suddenly we have a shortage of Canadians today?

What I would be in favour of is having an allowance for these global players as their own category. Continue to limit rosters to 20 American imports (plus 3 QBs, or fold QBs into the ratio as imports), allow a max of 2 global players (perhaps requiring at least one to get it kick-started). That leaves at least 19 roster spots for nationals. When it comes to starters, continue with the same restrictions on import starters via the DI mechanism. Since global players aren't part of that restriction, they could also be starters if they were good enough, but there is no requirement to start them. This would mean teams would have between 5-7 national starters, depending on where they used their global players.

If the league at some point wants to encourage having more than 2 global players per team, then it'd need some tweaking. It seems that if a global player is good enough to displace an American import, they should be allowed to do so. Perhaps teams could carry more than 2 global players, but they'd need to be listed as DIs to protect the national starting spots.

Comment

• So on the Sportscage today, Michael Ball said they were gonna interview Jeff Knox jr. I missed it - anyone got a summary of what Knox said?

Comment

• Originally posted by Rider_Stronson View Post

An interesting scenario is if this goes through we likely end up starting another American receiver and an American MLB. Would anyone really notice that Cory Watson and Sam Hurl were primarily on special teams but still getting some reps as backups and rotation guys?

Such fuss...this change makes our offence better which is what everyone wanted anyway

Comment

• Originally posted by gilligan View Post

I'm sure the same things were said when they went from 10 to 7. There was no need to worry about it going to 5, then 3, etc. Yet here we are, with the GMs looking to lower it yet again.
                            I'm sure the same things were said when they went from 10 to 7. How it was going to erode the Canadians. Destory the "Canadian" in the Canadian Football League. Or the effect it was going to have on Canadian university football and minor football. On and on. It's just back then the outcry wasn't as public because the CFL wasn't as popular nor was there any social media.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigsexydawg View Post

I don't believe anyone is saying that it will kill grassroots football in Canada.

Comment

• Originally posted by McGreen View Post

I don't believe anyone is saying that it will kill grassroots football in Canada.
                                This is incorrect. A lot of people are making similar claims.

https://3downnation.com/2019/03/21/w...they-shouldnt/

The ratio was last dropped in 1996 when the league reduced the number of Canadian starters from ten to seven.

Anyone who follows USports football knows that the game is stronger than ever. There are also well over 150 Canadian players playing in the NCAA, many of whom could one day play in the CFL. If thereís not enough national talent to go around now, there never will be.

National player development will decrease if the ratio is reduced. Less development means less quality players, which will inevitably lead to further discussion about reducing the ratio.

Itís a vicious cycle.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X