Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Both the CFL & CFLPA in favour of reducing number of national starters from 7 to 5

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by brady View Post

okay but we had an old style blocking TE by the name of Richardson who was more an OL then anything else.
    You obviously don't remember the touchdown catch he made in the '76 Western Final. He was more than just a blocking TE. He caught a lot of balls.

Comment

• Here are the Riders projected 7 national starters at this time I would assume - Clarke, Labatte, Blake, Edem, Judge/Hurl, Watson and Evans.

Who goes if they go down to 5?

Comment

• Originally posted by Fullhouse View Post
        Here are the Riders projected 7 national starters at this time I would assume - Clarke, Labatte, Blake, Edem, Judge/Hurl, Watson and Evans.

Who goes if they go down to 5?
        Two of the three, Clarke, Edem, Watson. I am leaning towards Edem and Watson.

Comment

• Originally posted by danno View Post

True, but 4 of the 5 starters in the secondary were Canadians, only the S was an import as he was usually also a QB.
          Just emphasizes my point that at a time when import roster spots were very limited, teams saw the value in giving three of those spots to offensive linemen.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tyree View Post

One would think it would have to. Maybe the two starting positions and two backup spots?
            I dont think you do. it just puts more NI in back up roles and gives you way more freedom to start who you want. Get rid of the 2 designated Imports and it should work well.

Comment

You obviously don't remember the touchdown catch he made in the '76 Western Final. He was more than just a blocking TE. He caught a lot of balls.
              That was a beauty of a catch. In my memory, he sticks out his big right paw and catches it sort of backhanded, in-stride and rumbles into the end zone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slowhand View Post

Just emphasizes my point that at a time when import roster spots were very limited, teams saw the value in giving three of those spots to offensive linemen.
                No argument

Comment

• Unless they change the 21 NI rule on the 44 game roster (which i think the should keep) all this does is move money around and gives more freedom to start who you want. it is a great idea IMO.

Comment

Two of the three, Clarke, Edem, Watson. I am leaning towards Edem and Watson.
                    Would drop Clarke and Watson. Clarke I am not sure he can do his job. Edem impressed me . Watson is slowing up and is injury prone.

Comment

That was a beauty of a catch. In my memory, he sticks out his big right paw and catches it sort of backhanded, in-stride and rumbles into the end zone.
                      After 3 years of losing to the Schmoes in the playoffs, we finally got past that hurdle!

Comment

I agree but TEs were a big part of the game then and they were clearly part of the OL blocking schemes in those days.

Comment

And the Als of around 2008 - 2014 went with an all Canadian O-line - and played in a number of GCs and the East Final every season.

Comment

I guess we didnít have very good imports last year then because our line looked a whole lot better with three Nationals starting.

Comment

• Originally posted by brady View Post

Would drop Clarke and Watson. Clarke I am not sure he can do his job. Edem impressed me . Watson is slowing up and is injury prone.
                              I agree with Clarke and Watson. They do need depth behind Edem though, they could use an American as his back up with roster shuffling.

Also, Blake comes with a big price tag I think, so he may be another candidate.

Comment

• Originally posted by CC Ryder View Post

And the Als of around 2008 - 2014 went with an all Canadian O-line - and played in a number of GCs and the East Final every season.
                                And full props to them. But itís pretty difficult for every team to do that every year and still have success.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X