Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Macho Harris Signs a 1-day to Retire a Rider

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The one day contract is a little corny, mind have the riders done any lately besides these last two? It is interesting that they couldn't find someone more deserving to retire someone and announce it. But they were both part of the 2015 Jones purge.

Comment

Originally posted by Rider_Stronson View Post

I actually don't think Weston Dressler is finished. It's going to be all about pricetag and role with him for a team. If he takes quite a reduction and resolves to be more of a depth guy and not be a starter, he can still help several teams imo.
      I agree with this. I would be fine with the Riders got him back at a discounted price and he didnt expect to be a starter. He ain't what he used to be but he still has some value in the right conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by Hambone View Post

Personally I think the whole 1 day contract thing to retire as a player of whatever team is corny to begin with unless the player spent like a decade or more with that particular team before winding down their career elsewhere. In this era of salary caps and fre agency guys spending a long career all in the same place are becoming a scarce commodity. However when journeyman calibre players start doing it after 3 or 4 years in one spot it seems to be getting a bit out of hand and in a fashion taking away some of the meaning it has for the long time players who do it. But hey if it makes the player feel good I can't hold it against them. I read that Harris remains living in Regina so obviously his time as a Rider meant a lot to him personally
        You much more eloquently put forward my thoughts on this.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigsexydawg View Post
          I can't wait for Shomarshmallow Williams to sign a one day contract to retire a Rider.
          He'll suffer a 3rd degree papercut from the contract and have to go on the 9 game list for the next couple of seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Rock Preston #1 View Post
            Good for Macho, he was also good up on the big screen at Mosaic. Classic skit.

No Macho appreciation thread started?
            Are you talking about the "hair" skit he did with the kid reporter? That was very well done and still one of my favorites.
            I searched but couldn't find it on youtube.

Say what you will about his tackling, the guy did have great hair though.

Comment

Originally posted by Guillermo View Post

Are you talking about the "hair" skit he did with the kid reporter? That was very well done and still one of my favorites.
              I searched but couldn't find it on youtube.

Say what you will about his tackling, the guy did have great hair though.
              Yeah the hair skit....good stuff!!
              Waiting for the big ole splash...actually there was no big splash, just a peaceful ripple. Dammit, there was supposed to be a big ole splash!!

Comment

Originally posted by mikejth View Post
                The one day contract is a little corny, mind have the riders done any lately besides these last two? It is interesting that they couldn't find someone more deserving to retire someone and announce it. But they were both part of the 2015 Jones purge.
                As far as I know, one-day contracts signed as a function of the retirement process are just simply a choice that a player can make, if--for whatever reason--he wishes to be associated with a team other than the one that he was under contract to at the time of his retirement. They are simply a formality that teams will routinely and customarily grant to a retiring player, as it basically costs them nothing to do so, and they obtain a lot of good p.r. for doing so.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenDiasporaDiva View Post

As far as I know, one-day contracts signed as a function of the retirement process are just simply a choice that a player can make, if--for whatever reason--he wishes to be associated with a team other than the one that he was under contract to at the time of his retirement. They are simply a formality that teams will routinely and customarily grant to a retiring player, as it basically costs them nothing to do so, and they obtain a lot of good p.r. for doing so.
                  I wasn't saying they weren't routine, I wasn't even saying they were costing the team anything, just that they are corny and with the exception of the rare player to do it they are usually dont generate much in terms of the p.r. Additionally I was saying I don't believe the riders have had any for a while (3 years).

Comment

Better than having Junior Murtle signing a 1-day contract retirement deal. Don't forget Harris plat briefly in the NFL and was drafted in the 5th round. Hohow many current players can say tha they play in the NFL.

Comment

Originally posted by Cabdriver View Post
                      Better than having Junior Murtle signing a 1-day contract retirement deal. Don't forget Harris plat briefly in the NFL and was drafted in the 5th round. Hohow many current players can say tha they play in the NFL.
                      His NFL time is irrelevant to signing a retirement contract in the CFL.

Comment

Originally posted by Cabdriver View Post
                        I donít see what his NFL time has to do with signing a 1-day in SK. Maybe he should have signed a 1 day with whoever drafted him in the NFL?

Comment

I'm surprised to see so much negativity towards a token gesture of goodwill. A player wants to retire as a Rider, and a bunch of 'fans' find a reason to crap all over it.

Comment

Originally posted by TorontoVsEverybody View Post
                            I'm surprised to see so much negativity towards a token gesture of goodwill. A player wants to retire as a Rider, and a bunch of 'fans' find a reason to crap all over it.
                            No need to put "fans" in quotations marks unless you are just in here trolling. I think there is relevant discussion towards these ceremonial retirements, and what meets the minimal requirements of signing a 1-day contract, or if there are no minimum requirements, and theoretically a player who played 1 game 5 years ago can come back and retire with a team. No one is trashing Macho, and in fact more people than not are supportive of this situation, but I think it is valid to wonder if the ceremonial retirement loses value if this is open to any player that has ever been in the organization.

Comment

Originally posted by steve04 View Post

No need to put "fans" in quotations marks unless you are just in here trolling. I think there is relevant discussion towards these ceremonial retirements, and what meets the minimal requirements of signing a 1-day contract, or if there are no minimum requirements, and theoretically a player who played 1 game 5 years ago can come back and retire with a team. No one is trashing Macho, and in fact more people than not are supportive of this situation, but I think it is valid to wonder if the ceremonial retirement loses value if this is open to any player that has ever been in the organization.
                              Well, there isn't exactly a parade when someone retires a Rider, it's more a show of respect for the team from the player and vice versa. I don't get why some need to question it so much.... it's kind of a slap in the face to someone who valued his time as a Rider. This place is a little nit-picky in the off season.
                              Riderfans - Came for the info... stayed for the drama.

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post

Well, there isn't exactly a parade when someone retires a Rider, it's more a show of respect for the team from the player and vice versa. I don't get why some need to question it so much.... it's kind of a slap in the face to someone who valued his time as a Rider. This place is a little nit-picky in the off season.
                                Lol. Just in the off season??

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X