Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Riders Free Agency Recap

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CalgaryRiderFan View Post

I think Jennings was a gamble too. I was just referring to a lot of people who thought ODay dropped the ball by not getting one of the big three which i don't think is the case. If Jennings out-performs Collaros I think it's a fair criticism that we screwed up on that decision.
    Ok fair enough! I was actually ok with us going after Jennings, but surprised we tried to get Bo Levi, as I didnít think he would leave Calgary, so time was wasted there!

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post

Perhaps he will with Maas guiding him. There are some big differences between Harris and Reilly though. For instance, Harris seems to fold when he gets hit a couple of times, whereas Reilly keeps grinding. Also, Harris has never shown the ability to carry a team on his back like Reilly. Then there's the running ability....

There's a reason why Reilly's contract is a lot richer than Harris', but having said that, I do think he is likely the third best QB in the CFL at this time.... just not 550K worth.
      If he is the third best in the CFL then what is he worth? Reilly & Mitchell are getting $700,000 which I think is too much.

Comment

Originally posted by The Grog View Post

You have more faith in Harris than I do! He may prove me wrong but for the money we committed to Collaros, if he stays healthy he can be as good if not better than Harris! Just my opinion!
        Thereís no doubt that the Collaros contract is a good one for you guys, and if he plays to his potential and stays relatively healthy itíll look even better.

Comment

Originally posted by IMWT View Post
          It's a proven fact that with every concussion sustained that an athlete becomes more and more prone to further concussions and to longer recovery times when concussed. I wouldn't call Collaros injury prone because his injuries were the result of contact, but he has certainly lost a lot of time to injuries and has a history of concussions. One can draw their own conclusions from that but history has not been kind to QBs with an extensive concussion history.
          ZC is probably still concussed right now as his decision to continue to play football is foolish. My prediction, when the next one happens (which hopefully wonít, but more than likely will by midseason) heíííll be forced into retirement. Iííím even more surprised OíDay and the Riders are rolling the dice this season with him.
          Last edited by Mack David; 03-16-2019, 06:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CalgaryRiderFan View Post

I think Jennings was a gamble too. I was just referring to a lot of people who thought ODay dropped the ball by not getting one of the big three which i don't think is the case. If Jennings out-performs Collaros I think it's a fair criticism that we screwed up on that decision.
            hard to blame JOD if the reports are true that Bovine left money on the table by signing with the Stamps rather than the Riders.

ZC gets another chance to feed cram sammiches!

Comment

Perhaps he will with Maas guiding him. There are some big differences between Harris and Reilly though. For instance, Harris seems to fold when he gets hit a couple of times, whereas Reilly keeps grinding. Also, Harris has never shown the ability to carry a team on his back like Reilly. Then there's the running ability....

There's a reason why Reilly's contract is a lot richer than Harris', but having said that, I do think he is likely the third best QB in the CFL at this time.... just not 550K worth.
              Harris has proven he can pass for 5K in this league and be very effcient in the process, but I agree with what you say about Reillyís dual threat and ability to put the team on his back in key situations, thatís what makes him a special QB IMO.

I expect Harris to take a step forward this year just like the past QBs who worked under Maas did, but weíll see if he can fill the void that Mikes leaving in the intangibles department, there are some big shoes to fill there.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzieq View Post

For me the Riders fortunes are tough to prognosticate at this point. They did have some key losses on D and failed to upgrade at starting QB. But if you scan the overall roster outside of QB and it is pretty good, with some potential questions at receiver and oline as well a some depth positions. Every team has some of those questions at this time of year.

We need Collaros to somehow simultaneously stay healthy and play better and more consistent, which is not a small ask. I'm encourage that they went after a guy like Fajardo who has some time in the league in various systems, although with little demonstrate do success. Prefer that to bringing in another NFL castoff and hoping they can learn the game enough in 3 weeks of camp to step in if needed.

I think our bigger questions will be around coaching. Can Dickenson get everyone rowing in the same direction? Can he minimize the number of in game decision mistakes that invariably happen with first time head coaches? Can Shivers come in behind Jones and keep the D operating at a high level? Can Mcadoo once again look like an adequate OC Vs last years performance that at times looked completely incompetent?

Last year we came out on the right side of a number of close games. I'll stop short of saying it was a fortunate record, as you are what your record says you are. We'll need improved QB play, solid coaching out of Dickenson, Shivers and Mcadoo and have a few new faces to step up.... Plus hope that the ball (which isn't round) bounces our way more often than not, if we are to get above .500 in my opinion.
                IMO, the showing for Collaros and potential better O is based on practice formula. They will be preparing for games a mountain different this year. I think that will take away from the D to some level, but it should, in theory, be a big positive for the O. Nobody can say for sure how that will translate, but it should be an improvement. For me, that is the question mark.
                #keepthepromise

Onward with escaping the hopeless fantasy of an artificial freedom and darkened picket fences the disillusioned front of friendly foes

Comment

Originally posted by Rock Preston #1 View Post

Of course you will.
                  Partly because of Maas track record of coaching QBs, but also partly because Iíve got my green and gold glasses on at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Pencilvester View Post

Partly because of Maas track record of coaching QBs, but also partly because Iíve got my green and gold glasses on at the moment.
                    All valid reasons.
                    Waiting for the big ole splash...actually there was no big splash, just a peaceful ripple. Dammit, there was supposed to be a big ole splash!!

Comment

Originally posted by The Grog View Post

If he is the third best in the CFL then what is he worth? Reilly & Mitchell are getting $700,000 which I think is too much.
                      With the current salary cap in the CFL, I wouldn't pay ANY quarterback over $600K and it will prove interesting to watch BC and Calgary juggle the rest of their lineups. As for Harris, 475 - 500K would be my absolute ceiling although I may be a bit jaded here because I'm just not a big fan of Harris.
                      Riderfans - Came for the info... stayed for the drama.

Comment

With the current salary cap in the CFL, I wouldn't pay ANY quarterback over $600K and it will prove interesting to watch BC and Calgary juggle the rest of their lineups. As for Harris, 475 - 500K would be my absolute ceiling although I may be a bit jaded here because I'm just not a big fan of Harris.
                        If the cap does go up by say $300k, juggling those lineups becomes a lot easier for those teams.

Comment

so then you are on board with having ZC or Jennings type QB's and never having the "premier" ones? Always going to be in the tier 2 range for QB's

Comment

Originally posted by greenale View Post

so then you are on board with having ZC or Jennings type QB's and never having the "premier" ones? Always going to be in the tier 2 range for QB's
                            Did you consider Durant a premier QB back in the day? I consider Reilly and Mitchell elite and Harris and Durant (in his prime) good.... so by my personal definition of premier, then yes, I can live with tier 2 and the savings that go with it.

As to Collaros, it's his concussions that worry me and not his skill set.

Comment

Originally posted by Bingo_Arms View Post

If the cap does go up by say $300k, juggling those lineups becomes a lot easier for those teams.
                              Indeed it does, but then all of the other teams will have an extra 300K to get better at non-QB positions. as well. I get that we all want a premier QB, but we can't all have one so we strengthen where we can.

Comment

Originally posted by greenale View Post

Damn thatís sad eh. It probably doesnít matter because it seems that the top tier players donít want to play here.
                                Last edited by Greenwall; 03-15-2019, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X