Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Riders Free Agency Recap

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mr. furious View Post
    Agreed. His prediction is based purely on hope and not any rational analytics basedw on our actual roster. He is planning on unexpected results to get us to an unexpected win total.
    Wasnt it ET who said roster questions often end up with positive answers? There are always guys who emerge unexpectedly and those whose performance disappoints. Thats part of the fun of sports. The games arent won on paper.

Comment

Originally posted by Itzgodzilla View Post

My issue with people calling Collaros "fragile" or injury prone is that no one is really "prone" to getting folded in half like a pretzel by a blind side hit, because your O line decided to impersonate pylons for that play. To simply look at his Games played stats, and say "see, he has never played a full 18 games, so he must be injury prone" is a little bit of an over reach... He may play hard, but there are plenty of QB's that don't play a full 18 games in a season, and are not deemed "injury prone"... He played 14 games despite 2 dirty hits that removed him for concussion protocol.... Nichols also played 14 games... for hurting himself by stepping backwards... Masoli and Bo levi only played 17 games... Lulay played 12 games.. If someone has a tendency of re-injuring or having similar injuries through out multiple seasons, then yeah, they are Prone to injuries... but a guy taking unneccesary head shots and being pulled for CTE watch is the league/Team/Player trying to make sure guys don't end up wrecked for the rest of their life.

I am trying to think of any one injury he sustained last year that would not have likely knocked out even the toughest of QB's...

Playing the "What if" game... What if Collaros doesn't go into the Preseason game and take a devastating hit which laid the ground work for a concussion sensitive season? Does he roll through the TOR game looking better and doens't need ot come out in the OTT game? The biggest issue last season, was him taking that first hit in the PS2 against CGY, and then continuing to play with a concussion, until he was hit again in the week 2 game against OTT.

The hit late against Willis would still have removed him from the game, more likely then not, but he is likely the starter for the WSF.

That one hit in Preseason, and the subsequent "playing while injured", basically set him up for a season of injury watch... If he isn't going to pull himself when injured, then the staff will need to pull him/ sit him if they have any concerns.

I think you can go in optimisitc that Collaros plays the full season sans-major injury, especially if our O line play holds like it did for most of the back half of last season.

before anyone screams that I am defending Collaros, I am not... I am stating that I dislike when people say someone if injury prone, based on something that is beyond their control and should be illegal and warrant suspensions/bans for repeat offenders....

it's like saying you are injury prone, because every time a car hits you, you break a leg.
      100% Agree, the hits he received would have injured any QB, and does not warrant being labelled as injury prone...anyone who thinks otherwise, I challenge you to take those hits and, if you survive, tell me how your head feels.

Comment

Originally posted by go riders View Post

I thought he didn't like the shuffling Jones was doing game to game with the DBs.
        That's the impression I had and have shared here as well, but I've never actually heard it is true.
        #keepthepromise

Onward with escaping the hopeless fantasy of an artificial freedom and darkened picket fences the disillusioned front of friendly foes

Comment

Being injury prone is no longer a thing apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by Ike View Post

I think Elam was some kind of problem off the field just the way he seemed to vanish into thin air without a peep about it!
            I like moncreif but thought elam was better.

i may be in a minority with that thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post

Reilly was going to BC, Mitchell was using us to up his paycheck, and the decision for Harris to be an Eskimo was made before free agency started. I guess an argument could be made for going after Jennings, but otherwise how do you figure that O'Day dropped the ball here?
              Jennings should have been the easy target.

why not at least make it hard for harris to sign in edmonton or raise his price sifpgnificantly to the schmoes with a solid offer.

a qb is the difference between playoffs or not.

currently i rate us as not

Comment

Originally posted by Vegas View Post

why not at least make it hard for harris to sign in edmonton or raise his price sifpgnificantly to the schmoes with a solid offer.

Apparently they never even contacted Jennings. That sounds like consciously not interested more than dropping the ball.
                #keepthepromise

Onward with escaping the hopeless fantasy of an artificial freedom and darkened picket fences the disillusioned front of friendly foes

Comment

Originally posted by Beacon.x View Post

Apparently they never even contacted Jennings. That sounds like consciously not interested more than dropping the ball.
                  I dont agree with that decision if that was how it went down.

Comment

Originally posted by Bingo_Arms View Post
                    11-7 and second place??? Man I hope you're right but I can't see it. I guess a Rider blog / podcast are expected to be biased homers though as part of what you guys do is drum up hype for the team.

A couple thoughts;

- I think assuming a healthy Collaros is a bad assumption. Based on what we've seen it's more prudent to assume he will miss time and hope he surprises.
                    - The loss of Jefferson, Eguavon and Antigha are bigger than the gain of Johnson and Leonard.
                    - Agree with "it's hard to imagine the offence being worse". By law of avergaes it should simply improve. That said, on paper, it's the fifth strongest group in the division IMO with a coordinator that the jury is very much out on.

I am predicting 7-11 or 8-10 but hoping we can grease out a win or two we don't deserve (it can happen after all, just look at 2018) and snag 9-9 and a crossover.

Thanks for posting though and taking the time to write it.
                    I'll disagree. I think our DL is stronger than it was last year, assuming Hughes is anywhere near the same player being a year older. I think Leonard is more assignment sound than Jefferson, but he will not provide the impact plays that Jefferson did. Johnson is a huge upgrade. As for Eguavoen, the guy who found him, Jefferson, McCoil, etc knew that Sam was leaving and was probably pretty confident he had someone to replace him currently under contract.

While I don't think our defense will score as many points, I think they will be better on a down to down basis. I'm hoping that with a little more focus on our preparation as an offense, that they will in turn be better. There is still a lot of talent on this roster and I think we will at least be 9-9.

Comment

Originally posted by CalgaryRiderFan View Post

Well unless Jim Popp goes on the air and lies in an interview he said he was told "not to bother" pursuing Harris. I guess O'Day can be blamed for "dropping the ball" if you preferred he went after Jennings instead of bringing back Collaros. Or get aggressive and trade with Montreal for Pipken, Adams or something. Or completely blow up the cap and go ridiculously high on Mitchell so that he would have been an idiot not to sign the contract.
                      I wonder if Chris Jones would have also dropped the ball? We might not even have been in on any of the "big three" as I don't think any of them were really interested in coming here. What might have happened is we may have traded for Manziel, only to have his contract voided by the league.

As for Jenning, I believe that one of O'Day/McAdoo/Jones had spoken to JJ and chose to believe what he told them about Jennings.

Comment

So, instead of wasting our time making an offer(s) to Mitchell that he didn't accept, we should have wasted our time making offer(s) to Harris that he was never going to accept?

While I'm not thrilled with our current qb situation, it is what it is. I'm going to assume that they trusted some information they were given about Jennings to not even make an offer.

We finished 12-6 last year with a weaker group at QB. While I don't think we will duplicate the record, the offense did play better in games where we didn't think we could just keep the game close on offense and wait for the defense/special teams to win us the game. I think we are every bit as capable of making the playoffs as the Bombers or Eskimos at this point.

Comment

I dont agree with that decision if that was how it went down.
                          Why? If they don't see him as a QB they are interested in, then they don't see him as a QB they are interested in. If there is any truth at all to what Hervey went public with, then he is definitely not the guy for Mac's O and I don't blame any GM for shying away.
                          #keepthepromise

Comment

Originally posted by lester View Post

So, instead of wasting our time making an offer(s) to Mitchell that he didn't accept, we should have wasted our time making offer(s) to Harris that he was never going to accept?

While I'm not thrilled with our current qb situation, it is what it is. I'm going to assume that they trusted some information they were given about Jennings to not even make an offer.

We finished 12-6 last year with a weaker group at QB. While I don't think we will duplicate the record, the offense did play better in games where we didn't think we could just keep the game close on offense and wait for the defense/special teams to win us the game. I think we are every bit as capable of making the playoffs as the Bombers or Eskimos at this point.
                            For me the Riders fortunes are tough to prognosticate at this point. They did have some key losses on D and failed to upgrade at starting QB. But if you scan the overall roster outside of QB and it is pretty good, with some potential questions at receiver and oline as well a some depth positions. Every team has some of those questions at this time of year.

We need Collaros to somehow simultaneously stay healthy and play better and more consistent, which is not a small ask. I'm encourage that they went after a guy like Fajardo who has some time in the league in various systems, although with little demonstrate do success. Prefer that to bringing in another NFL castoff and hoping they can learn the game enough in 3 weeks of camp to step in if needed.

I think our bigger questions will be around coaching. Can Dickenson get everyone rowing in the same direction? Can he minimize the number of in game decision mistakes that invariably happen with first time head coaches? Can Shivers come in behind Jones and keep the D operating at a high level? Can Mcadoo once again look like an adequate OC Vs last years performance that at times looked completely incompetent?

Last year we came out on the right side of a number of close games. I'll stop short of saying it was a fortunate record, as you are what your record says you are. We'll need improved QB play, solid coaching out of Dickenson, Shivers and Mcadoo and have a few new faces to step up.... Plus hope that the ball (which isn't round) bounces our way more often than not, if we are to get above .500 in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by mr. furious View Post
                              Agreed. His prediction is based purely on hope and not any rational analytics based on our actual roster. He is planning on unexpected results to get us to an unexpected win total.
                              Is it June already? Rosters are locked in? Great. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Rider_Stronson View Post

Is it June already? Rosters are locked in? Great. Thanks.
                                I thought he would one of the ones who would turn a frown upside down with Jones leaving. It appears his beef is higher up.
                                Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X