Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Riders Free Agency Recap

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a proven fact that with every concussion sustained that an athlete becomes more and more prone to further concussions and to longer recovery times when concussed. I wouldn't call Collaros injury prone because his injuries were the result of contact, but he has certainly lost a lot of time to injuries and has a history of concussions. One can draw their own conclusions from that but history has not been kind to QBs with an extensive concussion history.

Comment

Originally posted by Vegas View Post
      When you are talking defensive player losses donít forget Elam. We definitely lost more in defence than we gained and thatís without the architect of it all leaving as well

offence is going to have to step up big and thatís where oDay dropped the ball with resigning collaros as #1
      What was the last game in which Elam played? Curious because I honestly dont remember.

Edit: Looked it up and found it was Oct 13th vs Wpg.
      Last edited by Easy Rider; 03-14-2019, 12:47 PM.

Comment

...The loss of the best DC in the league is a problem....
        ...Oh not to mention our HC flew the coop...
        ...Oh and the GM went missing as well...
        ...Yet again...Sigh....Another season of change for the Rider franchise...
        ...9-9 would look pretty dang good...Wishful thinking???...Perhaps...

Comment

Originally posted by MidNite Rider View Post
          ...9-9 would look pretty dang good...Wishful thinking???...Perhaps...
          I will be very happy if JOD / Dickenson can pull off a 9-9 season.

Comment

If Collaros starts the season healthy , I could see 2nd place with 12 or 13 wins
            if not 9-9 and 5th in the west

Comment

Originally posted by Bingo_Arms View Post

I will be very happy if JOD / Dickenson can pull off a 9-9 season.
              As long as it makes the playoffs. Otherwise it's a failed season and with both on 3 year deals they aren't going anywhere.
              Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

Comment

I don't think Harris was coming here anyways. The Sunderland/Mass connection in Edmonton from his earlier time in Ottawa likely played a large factor. The only thing I can say I "like" about the Collaros signing is the contract. I thought O'Day did a really nice job there.
                Agreed. If he can stay healthy (long odds), he'll be worth the dollars spent.
                Riderfans - Came for the info... stayed for the drama.

Comment

Originally posted by safimod View Post

Elam is another guy I definitely missed. He looked good when Moncrief went out, but Moncrief is back in 2019. Would have been solid depth to have him around. Not sure what has happened to Elam...
                  I think Elam was some kind of problem off the field just the way he seemed to vanish into thin air without a peep about it!

Comment

I think the comparable to that crazy prediction, or a "doom and gloom" scenario if you will, would be predicting he'll miss the entire season and never play again. I don't think anyone is saying that. Most are landing somewhere in the middle saying that an injury prone player is likely to miss some time with injuries. Not really that wild of a prognostication.
                    YOu can pretty much predict any starter for any team could miss time... I don't hink every team goes in knowing their starter will be "good to go" for all 18 games... you cross your fingers and hope for the best...

Collaros played as many games as Nichols last season, and more games than Lulay... an injury can happen, and it is less you banking on it and more being prepared for it. Do I think Collaros is bulletproof, nope... Do I think he is any more likely to fall to an injury then other QB's... unless it is an illegal head shot, not likely, but then I can't say for sure if other QB's would be okay after an illegal headshot either... people were saying Collaros was injury prone going into 2018 because he had hurt his knee in 2015.... There was nothing to suggest his knee was even a concern in 2018...

I would define injury prone, to be a guy more like Buck Pierce, whom couldn't take a body shot,not because he wasn't tough but his body just couldn't take it, let alone a head shot anymore.... Age plays a factor, your body doesn't bounce back as fast from big hits in your later years, and history is also a factor... but just looking at GP doesn't mean there was an injury... he had poor play under Austin with the ticats, and rode the pine once Jones came in and started Masoli over him... he wasn't injured, he was deflated... I am not writing him off for 2019 as a guy who will only play limited reps due to injury... if he is injured, he is injured, but I am not expecting him to be injured any more than I'd expect any other starter to possibly be injured..

The wierd thign with Concussions is that we don't fully know how they affect the person long-term, or how each person recovers from them, some people bounce right back and can go on as if nothing happened even after multiple concussions, other people suffer from debilitating headaches after just a minor concussion...

Am I worried for his health? yes, as I am worried for any player that is risking their future well being to deliver entertaining football to us. Do I think we need to bubble wrap him? no, not at all... do I think we should try our best to protect him? Well obviously... I'd want the same for anyone behind center.... Who was the team that took the most sacks last season?? What position did they finish the season at?

Comment

Originally posted by IMWT View Post
                      It's a proven fact that with every concussion sustained that an athlete becomes more and more prone to further concussions and to longer recovery times when concussed. I wouldn't call Collaros injury prone because his injuries were the result of contact, but he has certainly lost a lot of time to injuries and has a history of concussions. One can draw their own conclusions from that but history has not been kind to QBs with an extensive concussion history.
                      Well said, and I agree... head shots may not be easy for him to shake off.. but I think every person on this board will agree that the league needs to step up their discipline for targeting players, or purposely leading with the helmet... sometimes it is unavoidable... the shots we took last season were not that.... Also, any other QB taking hits like that likely would be put into the same situation, so I agree it is hard to call that injury prone... but I am tired of this dance, and people will call anyone who missed time "injury prone" as it is easier then admitting they can't predict the future, but like looking to the past.

As it stand now, the leagues stance on illegal hits to the head are fines for the some random coffer and an apology for missing the call... I am sure the players take solace knowing when they are suffering from CTE and are having a hard time coping after football, they can look back and be thankful the commish apologized for the ref's missing the call, and not enacting changes to ensure player safety is paramount.

Comment

But Knox isnít on the roster yet unless I missed his signing. I agree he would be a good additions But we canít say Johnson/Leonard/Knox will be as good or better than Jeff/Antigha/Eguavon when we donít have Knox at the moment. Again, did I miss that signing? Iíd be thrilled to hear I did!

A lot of your prediction seems based not on what the roster is like today but what you are ďhopingĒ happens, such as signing Knox or hoping Eguavon is back or hoping the most injury prone starter in the league defies odds and plays the year.

I agree that if other things happen and players come our way, we could exceee exceed what I see playing out but right now my predictions are based on the actual roster of the team and the trend the players on that roster have shown.
                        Agreed. His prediction is based purely on hope and not any rational analytics based on our actual roster. He is planning on unexpected results to get us to an unexpected win total.

Comment

In 2014 Collaros only played 13 games.
                          In 2015 Collaros only played 12 games.
                          In 2016 Collaros only played 10 games.
                          In 2017 Collaros only played 9 games (benched for being winless)
                          In 2018 Collaros only played 11 games.

Posters can focus on the hit he took in ďPS2Ē all they want but his track record shows heís ďinjury proneĒ.

Cross your fingers and hope heíll finally shed that but the odds arenít in his favour based on his history.
                          So he is due for a full season?

Comment

If all the QB's in the west play all 18 games in 2019 - most people would rightly say our offence will be fifth best in the west. Based on this alone, predicting us to finish second place means several other teams will somehow play under their expected level.

Hoping Collaros plays all 18 games gets us the fifth best QB in the west. Not sure why people think he is going to get much better than he was last year when he played.

Comment

Originally posted by Bubz View Post

So he is due for a full season?
                              Well Iíve never won the lottery so I guess Iím due as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Ike View Post

I think Elam was some kind of problem off the field just the way he seemed to vanish into thin air without a peep about it!
                                I thought he didn't like the shuffling Jones was doing game to game with the DBs.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X