Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Riders Free Agency Recap

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Itzgodzilla View Post

My issue with people calling Collaros "fragile" or injury prone is that no one is really "prone" to getting folded in half like a pretzel by a blind side hit, because your O line decided to impersonate pylons for that play. To simply look at his Games played stats, and say "see, he has never played a full 18 games, so he must be injury prone" is a little bit of an over reach... He may play hard, but there are plenty of QB's that don't play a full 18 games in a season, and are not deemed "injury prone"... He played 14 games despite 2 dirty hits that removed him for concussion protocol.... Nichols also played 14 games... for hurting himself by stepping backwards... Masoli and Bo levi only played 17 games... Lulay played 12 games.. If someone has a tendency of re-injuring or having similar injuries through out multiple seasons, then yeah, they are Prone to injuries... but a guy taking unneccesary head shots and being pulled for CTE watch is the league/Team/Player trying to make sure guys don't end up wrecked for the rest of their life.

I am trying to think of any one injury he sustained last year that would not have likely knocked out even the toughest of QB's...

Playing the "What if" game... What if Collaros doesn't go into the Preseason game and take a devastating hit which laid the ground work for a concussion sensitive season? Does he roll through the TOR game looking better and doens't need ot come out in the OTT game? The biggest issue last season, was him taking that first hit in the PS2 against CGY, and then continuing to play with a concussion, until he was hit again in the week 2 game against OTT.

The hit late against Willis would still have removed him from the game, more likely then not, but he is likely the starter for the WSF.

That one hit in Preseason, and the subsequent "playing while injured", basically set him up for a season of injury watch... If he isn't going to pull himself when injured, then the staff will need to pull him/ sit him if they have any concerns.

I think you can go in optimisitc that Collaros plays the full season sans-major injury, especially if our O line play holds like it did for most of the back half of last season.

before anyone screams that I am defending Collaros, I am not... I am stating that I dislike when people say someone if injury prone, based on something that is beyond their control and should be illegal and warrant suspensions/bans for repeat offenders....

it's like saying you are injury prone, because every time a car hits you, you break a leg.
    Every QB, at some point, is going to take a hit or 2 like Zach took last year. Most don't require the next couple weeks off afterwards. And it wasn't just the savage hits that gave him issues, there were a couple relatively harmless (to most players) hits that caused concern as well. I don't know how anyone at this point could claim he's not prone to concussions. And concussions are an injury so the guy is injury prone.
    For someone to say they're optimistic Zach will last the season is to say they're optimistic he goes completely untouched the whole season.

Comment

Originally posted by Itzgodzilla View Post

I didn't say I was optimisitc he would play 18 games.. I said it was based on not having a major injury. There were only 2 starting QBs that started/played all 18 games last year... 1 the year prior, and 1 the year before that... and that is only 3 different QB's... Jennings (2016), Reilly (2017 and 2018) and Bo Levi (2018) ... So if the gage of being "injury prone is having multiple seasons without playing all 18 games, then we have A LOT of injury prone QB's in this league...
      If you don't feel Collaros is injury prone fair enough, your decision on the verbiage, but I would confidently guess the majority of people in the league and even the majority of us die hard RIDER fans here feel he is. There really weren't a lot of options though when we missed on Bo so until this group can find actually find a QB of our own, or a viable option shakes lose in free agency, it's going to be cross our fingers, sprinkle holy water on Mosaic turf and cringe every time Zach gets put down to the ground. I will agree with everyone that says any success, regardless of what that looks like, really is going to be based on him playing significant time.

Comment

Originally posted by Bingo_Arms View Post

Elam would have been nice to have back. I forgot about that loss as well. He showed some good promise, not sure what happened to him. Antigha is a huge loss, especially for that system. A total swiss army knife and very under rated. I also feel Eguavon, for as good as we all know he was, was also very under rated among opposing fans. The losses, including the DC, are significant.

Unless some major changes come, and that's always possible as there are guys still available, trades can happen etc. I think it's an absolute pipe dream to suggest second place in what appears to be an even tougher western division. Roddy would be proud of the Piffles and their homerism.
        Elam is another guy I definitely missed. He looked good when Moncrief went out, but Moncrief is back in 2019. Would have been solid depth to have him around. Not sure what has happened to Elam...

Comment

Originally posted by safimod View Post

Elam is another guy I definitely missed. He looked good when Moncrief went out, but Moncrief is back in 2019. Would have been solid depth to have him around. Not sure what has happened to Elam...
          Iím very bullish on Moncrief myself but the depth would have been nice. I donít know if Moncrief missed much time in college but he did miss a third of the season last year. Hopefully that was a one off.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhetorical Surf View Post

Every QB, at some point, is going to take a hit or 2 like Zach took last year. Most don't require the next couple weeks off afterwards. And it wasn't just the savage hits that gave him issues, there were a couple relatively harmless (to most players) hits that caused concern as well. I don't know how anyone at this point could claim he's not prone to concussions. And concussions are an injury so the guy is injury prone.
            For someone to say they're optimistic Zach will last the season is to say they're optimistic he goes completely untouched the whole season.
            The only hit that was "minor" and gave him issues was the one in week 2 against Ottawa, and it is well established that was the cause of an treated or missed concussion for the MUCH more serious hit in Preseason... the other issue is, did we rush him back a little early because the offense was horrendous and lacking leadership without him on the field??

I am not saying the guy isn't susceptible to concussion, EVERY ONE is, Bridge also had his bell rung against Winnipeg late in the WSF, which resulted on our fate and the last plays of the season falling onto a cold #3, who couldn't throw at the best of times...

The hit in PS2 was significant, and should have put him out then for a couple games, the fact he stayed in to take another hit in week 2, is what really set him up for a bad season in my opinion, the shot by Willis was one that would have taken even some of the more resilient Qb's out, especially one that had previosuly been out, but again... how much of the decision was it because he wasn't able to play, or they were worried that if he had played and taken a hit like that on Bridge, he may have been facing the end of his career. o one wants to be the guy who let a player go out when they weren't ready, and that players career ends on a play that he never should have been in there for. I wouldn't have been surprised to hear if the league mandated Collaros wasn't able to play if there was even a shadow of a doubt about his health for that game. I bet all the marbles that if the Riders had snuck out a 1st place finish and the bye to the WF, Collaros would have been standing behind center for us leading the team against the Stamps in Mosaic the following week.

Comment

In 2014 Collaros only played 13 games.
              In 2015 Collaros only played 12 games.
              In 2016 Collaros only played 10 games.
              In 2017 Collaros only played 9 games (benched for being winless)
              In 2018 Collaros only played 11 games.

Posters can focus on the hit he took in ďPS2Ē all they want but his track record shows heís ďinjury proneĒ.

Cross your fingers and hope heíll finally shed that but the odds arenít in his favour based on his history.

Comment

Come on, everyone knows that injuries get less frequent with age. Previous injuries act as antibodies to protect against future injuries.
                I predict Zach starts and finishes every game, the Riders go 18-0, and after winning the championship by a score of 688 - 0, the other teams in the league unanimously agree to rename the Grey Cup the Roughrider Cup.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhetorical Surf View Post
                  Come on, everyone knows that injuries get less frequent with age. Previous injuries act as antibodies to protect against future injuries.
                  I predict Zach starts and finishes every game, the Riders go 18-0, and after winning the championship by a score of 688 - 0, the other teams in the league unanimously agree to rename the Grey Cup the Roughrider Cup.
                  Mean as much now as any doom and gloom scenario.
                  Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

Comment

When you are talking defensive player losses donít forget Elam. We definitely lost more in defence than we gained and thatís without the architect of it all leaving as well

offence is going to have to step up big and thatís where oDay dropped the ball with resigning collaros as #1

Comment

Originally posted by Vegas View Post
                      When you are talking defensive player losses donít forget Elam. We definitely lost more in defence than we gained and thatís without the architect of it all leaving as well

offence is going to have to step up big and thatís where oDay dropped the ball with resigning collaros as #1
                      Reilly was going to BC, Mitchell was using us to up his paycheck, and the decision for Harris to be an Eskimo was made before free agency started. I guess an argument could be made for going after Jennings, but otherwise how do you figure that O'Day dropped the ball here?

Riderfans - Came for the info... stayed for the drama.

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post

Reilly was going to BC, Mitchell was using us to up his paycheck, and the decision for Harris to be an Eskimo was made before free agency started. I guess an argument could be made for going after Jennings, but otherwise how do you figure that O'Day dropped the ball here?
                        I think that Harris should have been the target from the beginning. That perhaps should have been the goalrather than Bo. I am less convinced that he was unobtainable. I could be wrong though.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigsexydawg View Post

Mean as much now as any doom and gloom scenario.
                          I think the comparable to that crazy prediction, or a "doom and gloom" scenario if you will, would be predicting he'll miss the entire season and never play again. I don't think anyone is saying that. Most are landing somewhere in the middle saying that an injury prone player is likely to miss some time with injuries. Not really that wild of a prognostication.

Comment

Originally posted by Riderfan View Post

I think that Harris should have been the target from the beginning. That perhaps should have been the goalrather than Bo. I am less convinced that he was unobtainable. I could be wrong though.

Perhaps you are right that Harris should have been the primary target, I'm just not of the belief that he is worth what he will be paid this year. We'll find out soon enough.
                            Riderfans - Came for the info... stayed for the drama.

Comment

Originally posted by Riderfan View Post

Well unless Jim Popp goes on the air and lies in an interview he said he was told "not to bother" pursuing Harris. I guess O'Day can be blamed for "dropping the ball" if you preferred he went after Jennings instead of bringing back Collaros. Or get aggressive and trade with Montreal for Pipken, Adams or something. Or completely blow up the cap and go ridiculously high on Mitchell so that he would have been an idiot not to sign the contract.

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post

Perhaps you are right that Harris should have been the primary target, I'm just not of the belief that he is worth what he will be paid this year. We'll find out soon enough.
                                I don't think Harris was coming here anyways. The Sunderland/Mass connection in Edmonton from his earlier time in Ottawa likely played a large factor. The only thing I can say I "like" about the Collaros signing is the contract. I thought O'Day did a really nice job there.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X