Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alouettes are up for sale

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by flyguy58 View Post
    If Kavis survives this sale process, or ends up somewhere else in the CFL in a prominent position, he deserves a new handle....maybe "Teflon Reed"?Or "Felix the Cat Reed" (has 9 lives and always lands on his feet.)
    In this first year of the administration cap, is a new ownership group willing to burn their gimme?

Comment

• Originally posted by go riders View Post

In this first year of the administration cap, is a new ownership group willing to burn their gimme?
      The Als haven't named their full staff yet though, so the potential new owners could just name Maciocia as VP of Football Operations, and keep Reed and Sherman around for the year, then drop 'em at seasons end when their contract run out.

Comment

• Originally posted by go riders View Post

If it's local French ownership, I'm leaning towards yes. Especially if Maciocia gets involved. Then it'll happen.

Comment

• Couldn't they just eat it and declare that they are over this year?

Comment

• Maciocia’s reputation was no better than Reeds when he left the CFL, now he is the man for the job? Yes, he has done well in juniors but is he gonna come back and be the answer? The criticism back then was pretty bad - “Cantcoachya” was a pretty common name for him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fullhouse View Post
              Maciocia’s reputation was no better than Reeds when he left the CFL, now he is the man for the job? Yes, he has done well in juniors but is he gonna come back and be the answer? The criticism back then was pretty bad - “Cantcoachya” was a pretty common name for him.
              The thing is, he was a decent head coach in Edmonton. He won a cup in 2005. The problem for him is that he came in right as the SMS came in. That was a rough adjustment for the Esks, who used to be able to buy their way into the playoffs.

I'm not sure about him being a GM though. His record there is less stellar, at least in the CFL. He's done some great things in Montreal at the USports level. Perhaps some of that will translate well into a GM position.

Comment

• Lapointe: I want to fix the Alouettes
                https://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-69...ttes-1.1275545

Two interesting nuggets of info here IMO.
                #1. Lapointe confirms that he'd try to combine the business and football operations under one roof. This had been brought up in a tweet previously as "infrastructure improvements".
                #2. Stadium talk - Lapoint confirms that the Impact and Alouettes had previously spoken about a joint stadium. I had heard about this previously when the Saputo's were looking to expand Saputo stadium for the Impact's induction to the MLS, but IIRC talks stopped when the Quebec Government ponied up $23 million for the renovation.

TBH, I think whomever ends up owning the team should hire Lapointe to be the team's Pres/C.E.O. Lapointe clearly cares, he has connections to the market and business community, and would ensure the team becomes more community oriented and involved.
                Last edited by R.J; 03-18-2019, 08:56 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by gilligan View Post

The thing is, he was a decent head coach in Edmonton. He won a cup in 2005. The problem for him is that he came in right as the SMS came in. That was a rough adjustment for the Esks, who used to be able to buy their way into the playoffs.

I'm not sure about him being a GM though. His record there is less stellar, at least in the CFL. He's done some great things in Montreal at the USports level. Perhaps some of that will translate well into a GM position.
                  Imho, Machocha inherited the 2005 grey cup team. It went down hill dramatically after that. He's zero improvement over Mavis, imho.
                  ZC gets another chance to feed cram sammiches!

Comment

• Originally posted by R.J View Post
                    Lapointe: I want to fix the Alouettes

#1. Lapointe confirms that he'd try to combine the business and football operations under one roof. This had been brought up in a tweet previously as "infrastructure improvements".
                    #2. Stadium talk - Lapoint confirms that the Impact and Alouettes had previously spoken about a joint stadium. I had heard about this previously when the Saputo's were looking to expand Saputo stadium for the Impact's induction to the MLS, but IIRC talks stopped when the Quebec Government ponied up $23 million for the renovation.

TBH, I think whomever ends up owning the team should hire Lapointe to be the team's Pres/C.E.O. Lapointe clearly cares, he has connections to the market and business community, and would ensure the team becomes more community oriented and involved.
                    I don't know much about Saputo stadium, but I don't think even a renovated Saputo would be better than their current location. Is Saputo considered crappy? Maybe the talk is about a brand new shared stadium for the Als and the Impact?

Comment

Lapointe: I want to fix the Alouettes

Lapointe also says he hasn't been contacted and is wondering what's going on at the CFL level. Combine that with what Didier and Farhan are saying..........Farhan heard on Friday that a sale could even be done early this week..........and you wonder who the Als are talking to if they're not connected to Lapointe.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mallard View Post
                        Imho, Machocha inherited the 2005 grey cup team. It went down hill dramatically after that. He's zero improvement over Mavis, imho.
                        I think he probably has matured and learned alot from his time in Edmonton. No way should have the guy been a GM but like kavis, always promoted even tho the team around him was failing.

I would consider giving him a chance and itsba good PR move too.

Comment

• Originally posted by BCRiderfan View Post

I don't know much about Saputo stadium, but I don't think even a renovated Saputo would be better than their current location. Is Saputo considered crappy? Maybe the talk is about a brand new shared stadium for the Als and the Impact?
                          Saputo wanted to renovate the stadium as it was too small for MLS at the time, and it cost $40 million to get the team. The location isn't great, as it's right next to the Big Owe, so outside of Downtown.
                          Originally posted by Rider_Stronson View Post

Lapointe also says he hasn't been contacted and is wondering what's going on at the CFL level. Combine that with what Didier and Farhan are saying..........Farhan heard on Friday that a sale could even be done early this week..........and you wonder who the Als are talking to if they're not connected to Lapointe.
                          I find it odd how Lapointe been so vocal about this, then complains that the team hasn't called him, but if he was really that interested, why not just call the Wetenhall's himself ?

Comment

• Originally posted by BCRiderfan View Post

To me, it is better for Montreal to keep a separate soccer and football stadium, rather than going to a compromise situation like Toronto did.

Molson Stadium is in a beautiful location. It is set up for football, with sideline grandstands for most of the seating, football lines, and artificial turf. It may be over 100 years old, but it was just renovated for $29.4 million (of which the province put in $19.3M).

Saputo Stadium is quite new. It was built in 2008 with 13,034 seats, then expanded to 20,000 for MLS in 2012 with the help of $23 million from the province. It is a soccer specific venue with a grass field, with a lot of seating in behind the goals (it is essentially a full bowl with seating evenly distributed). It would not fit a football field.

The province just spent a lot of money to update each stadium to fit their pro team. They're also looking to redo the roof at Big O. So it'd be surprising to see them fund any other major stadium work for the Als or Impact.

One advantage that the Impact have is that they have their whole operations on site. Their training, offices, and game day are all there. Even their secondary indoor venue (the Big O), which they occasionally have used for bigger matches or winter games, is on the same site. With Molson stadium being wedged into a crowded university campus, I'm not sure how the Als can achieve the same thing.

Comment

Saputo wanted to renovate the stadium as it was too small for MLS at the time, and it cost $40 million to get the team. The location isn't great, as it's right next to the Big Owe, so outside of Downtown.

I find it odd how Lapointe been so vocal about this, then complains that the team hasn't called him, but if he was really that interested, why not just call the Wetenhall's himself ?
                              Owners who seek out the limelight as much as Lapointe, tend to be trouble. If he wants the team, and he has the resources, he should pick up the phone and stay out of the media. There might be a reason he's being kept in the dark.

Comment

• Originally posted by TorontoVsEverybody View Post

Owners who seek out the limelight as much as Lapointe, tend to be trouble. If he wants the team, and he has the resources, he should pick up the phone and stay out of the media. There might be a reason he's being kept in the dark.
                                Reminds me of Leblanc tbh, but I still think he could make for a good team Prez.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X