Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alouettes are up for sale

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RiderHard View Post

He's probably had a conversation with Kavis. I've heard that is all it takes. Some kind of hypnotism or mind control.
    That must be why he doesn't want to talk about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcus Aurelius View Post
      Anyone else slightly nervous about a CFL ownership change lol? I do hope a stable group that can engage the local market emerges.
      I feel the opposite actually. The Wetenhall ownership was making me nervous like it had run it's course. Without being local I could see a situation where if the team kept struggling and losing money they would start losing interest with the team. Either neglecting them the way Braley seems to have been in Vancouver or putting them up for sale. I think a local group would inject some life into the team.

Comment

Originally posted by CalgaryRiderFan View Post

I feel the opposite actually. The Wetenhall ownership was making me nervous like it had run it's course. Without being local I could see a situation where if the team kept struggling and losing money they would start losing interest with the team. Either neglecting them the way Braley seems to have been in Vancouver or putting them up for sale. I think a local group would inject some life into the team.
        I'm also excited, but I'll admit that it would die down immensely if the Molson or Saputo family aren't involved.

Comment

Anyone else slightly nervous about a CFL ownership change lol? I do hope a stable group that can engage the local market emerges.
          Depends on who buys them. If they're sold for a good price to a committed ownership group, that helps set a good value for CFL franchises.

The Wetenhalls were excellent for the franchise for a long time. They saved the team from near certain doom by moving them to Molson Stadium, and saw sellouts in their too-small venue for many years. They eventually managed to get the government to help expand the stadium to something that can be considered pro size, which was supposed to be the key for long term viability.

The last few years haven't been as rosy. The stadium expansion was completed just before a trend of reducing capacities started, and also came right as the Als went from a division powerhouse to a mediocre team on the field. By the time they got the expansion, they'd already gone from an overabundance of demand to lukewarm demand. The original business plan was to get by with a small capacity and then profit by selling out a 25,000 seat building, and it took a lot of time and hard work to put the pieces in place to do that. Unfortunately that long term vision didn't really materialise they way they'd hoped.

Andrew's more active role has also not been well received. It sounds like the other governors won't miss him when he's gone. Despite that, if someone else can pick up the team and build on what was left in place, the legacy of the Wetenhalls should remain positive overall. It is doubtful that anyone would line up to buy a team that was stuck playing at the Big O, or that was still playing in a 20,202 seat building. The Wetenhalls got some good things in place, but it'll be up to someone else to build on that and take the team through the next phase.

Comment

Originally posted by gilligan View Post

Depends on who buys them. If they're sold for a good price to a committed ownership group, that helps set a good value for CFL franchises.

The Wetenhalls were excellent for the franchise for a long time. They saved the team from near certain doom by moving them to Molson Stadium, and saw sellouts in their too-small venue for many years. They eventually managed to get the government to help expand the stadium to something that can be considered pro size, which was supposed to be the key for long term viability.

The last few years haven't been as rosy. The stadium expansion was completed just before a trend of reducing capacities started, and also came right as the Als went from a division powerhouse to a mediocre team on the field. By the time they got the expansion, they'd already gone from an overabundance of demand to lukewarm demand. The original business plan was to get by with a small capacity and then profit by selling out a 25,000 seat building, and it took a lot of time and hard work to put the pieces in place to do that. Unfortunately that long term vision didn't really materialise they way they'd hoped.

Andrew's more active role has also not been well received. It sounds like the other governors won't miss him when he's gone. Despite that, if someone else can pick up the team and build on what was left in place, the legacy of the Wetenhalls should remain positive overall. It is doubtful that anyone would line up to buy a team that was stuck playing at the Big O, or that was still playing in a 20,202 seat building. The Wetenhalls got some good things in place, but it'll be up to someone else to build on that and take the team through the next phase.
            Bob Wetenhall Sr. era will always be looked at fondly - the Andrew Wetenhall era not so much.
            Last edited by R.J; 03-13-2019, 03:09 PM.

Comment

What would the team be worth ?

Comment

And here go some more Western Canadian taxpayers "transfer payments / money" to get a government funded stadium built for the team.

Comment

Originally posted by CalgaryRiderFan View Post

Ownership change in the CFL hasnít always been... mmm... smooth, hence my initial general trepidation.

Saying that, you do make good points about a change being made before itís too late. If the CFL can attracted a solid group, then it could be a great opportunity for the league.

Comment

Ownership change in the CFL hasnít always been... mmm... smooth, hence my initial general trepidation.

Saying that, you do make good points about a change being made before itís too late. If the CFL can attracted a solid group, then it could be a great opportunity for the league.
                    The ones where the keys are turned over to the league tend to be the worst ones. The ones where the franchise has actual value are usually a bit less problematic. Feterik in Calgary was the worst that I can remember in recent history.

Comment

The ones where the keys are turned over to the league tend to be the worst ones. The ones where the franchise has actual value are usually a bit less problematic. Feterik in Calgary was the worst that I can remember in recent history.
                      Horn Chen in Ottawa for me was the worst. Or the Gleiberman's. But you are right, F-troop was also just awful for the league.

Comment

True enough.

Funny you should mention that one. My season tickets run here in Calgary started under that ownership group.
                        Last edited by Marcus Aurelius; 03-13-2019, 03:50 PM. Reason: Clarity

Comment

Yeah, Feterik buying the Stamps just so his son could play pro football was bad. IIRC, Matt Dunnigan said he had to fire the team mascot to save Feterik money . Glieberman's are a very close second though IMO, then followed by Nelson Skalbania (Alouettes and Lions).

For the Argos, I can't chose between Sherwood Schwartz or Howard Sokolowski & David Cynamon. Funny enough, I don't think Cynamon and Sokolowski were bad owners, they just didn't have money to own a money losing CFL team (Braley was funding their loses). Sherwood Schwartz was bad though, but he lost a lot of money in his 3 year era, and IIRC he supposedly only bought the team because he cousin J.I Albrecht begged and convinced him to do so lol.

Comment

Originally posted by R.J View Post
                            Yeah, Feterik buying the Stamps just so his son could play pro football was bad. IIRC, Matt Dunnigan said he had to fire the team mascot to save Feterik money . Glieberman's are a very close second though IMO, then followed by Nelson Skalbania (Alouettes and Lions).

For the Argos, I can't chose between Sherwood Schwartz or Howard Sokolowski & David Cynamon. Funny enough, I don't think Cynamon and Sokolowski were bad owners, they just didn't have money to own a money losing CFL team (Braley was funding their loses). Sherwood Schwartz was bad though, but he lost a lot of money in his 3 year era, and IIRC he supposedly only bought the team because he cousin J.I Albrecht begged and convinced him to do so lol.
                            You listed some great vermin there, Larry Ryckman was another and Murray Pezim was a joke. Bruce McNall was another farce. I really despise him for breaking big John's heart.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyree View Post

You listed some great vermin there, Larry Ryckman was another and Murray Pezim was a joke. Bruce McNall was another farce. I really despise him for breaking big John's heart.
                              Yeah, I would be willing to bet most Argo and CFL fans feel the way you do about McNall for the reason you stated. I do as well for what it's worth, but I looked at it from an group prospective, so since Candy and Gretz were a part of the McNall group I didn't use him as an example.

This video gets to me every time.

Comment

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-69...-cfl-1.1272736

https://3downnation.com/2019/03/13/a...gy-for-months/
                                ďFor many, many months now weíve been working with the Wetehall family on a strategy to how do we make this team bigger and stronger? How do we return it to its glory?Ē Ambrosie said on TSN 690 radio in Montreal.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X