Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alouettes are up for sale

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by enoughalready View Post

I have. Larry knew how to make the books sing, without ever actually building a fan base here. Quid pro quo gets you a lot in Montreal, but none of it is real for long.
    So Larry made up 18,000 season ticket holders and $6 million in Corporate Support, to go along with Bob Sr. stating that the team was profitable ? lol

Comment

• Originally posted by R.J View Post
      So Larry made up 18,000 season ticket holders and $6 million in Corporate Support, to go along with Bob Sr. stating that the team was profitable ? lol
      Yeah, that is a pretty silly assertion.

The reality is that the fan base was there, but it eroded a little bit as the novelty of McGill wore off. It eroded a lot when the team started losing. Montreal historically has not supported losing teams very well.

Comment

No, you're missing the point. It was all corporate. Which is what made it unsustainable.

They were profitable for sure, but because he focused solely on corporate support and selling swaths of tickets to big companies to ensure the 'sellouts' so the government money could keep rolling in - at the expense of doing work with in community, engaging fans, delivering a decent in and around game experience, and everything else you need to do to actually build a fan base. Left them without much in the way of depth in terms of their fan support. It was a cycle, and when Larry got off - and he was a maestro, seriously, a genius at moving all the pieces around - the cycle stopped and the Als were left with a bunch of companies who would no longer be rewarded for footing the bill and not enough real fans. Simple.

Exact opposite of how the Impact and Joey Saputo are doing it now. They still have solid corporate support, but they've also connected with fans over a long period of time, and people here actually care what's happening with that team year round, as opposed to the Als. There are definitely still bums in seats for both, but finding a dedicated als fan is harder than finding a diehard Impact supporter. Als announce attendance would be around 18K per game now - Als actual attendance is more like 12-13K.

And if you don't know about Larry's quid pro quo tactics, you don't know Larry, or Montreal.

Comment

• Originally posted by enoughalready View Post

No, you're missing the point. It was all corporate. Which is what made it unsustainable.

They were profitable for sure, but because he focused solely on corporate support and selling swaths of tickets to big companies to ensure the 'sellouts' so the government money could keep rolling in - at the expense of doing work with in community, engaging fans, delivering a decent in and around game experience, and everything else you need to do to actually build a fan base. Left them without much in the way of depth in terms of their fan support. It was a cycle, and when Larry got off - and he was a maestro, seriously, a genius at moving all the pieces around - the cycle stopped and the Als were left with a bunch of companies who would no longer be rewarded for footing the bill and not enough real fans. Simple.

Exact opposite of how the Impact and Joey Saputo are doing it now. They still have solid corporate support, but they've also connected with fans over a long period of time, and people here actually care what's happening with that team year round, as opposed to the Als. There are definitely still bums in seats for both, but finding a dedicated als fan is harder than finding a diehard Impact supporter. Als announce attendance would be around 18K per game now - Als actual attendance is more like 12-13K.

And if you don't know about Larry's quid pro quo tactics, you don't know Larry, or Montreal.
          Thee Joey Saputo and Montreal Impact who are losing over $11 million annually, and at 9,000 (2018) season tickets are only 500 better than the 8,500 season seats the Alouettes sold last season ?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...puto-1.4861845
          https://www.tsn.ca/saputo-says-impac...ason-1.1191058
          https://montrealgazette.com/sports/f...win-some-games

Comment

• Comment

• ^ I wouldn't be surprised if the League is negotiating on the Wetenhall's behalf at this point,

Comment

^ I wouldn't be surprised if the League is negotiating on the Wetenhall's behalf at this point,
                It probably makes some sense to have them involved to some degree.

edit: ie to sweeten the pot or to speak to the direction of the league and potential fit.

Comment

• It's serious.........

Comment

• Originally posted by Rider_Stronson View Post
                    It's serious.........

Ah, so Junior and Daddy haven't been paying the bills.... nice.

Training camp is going to be a bitch with no equipment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tyree View Post

Ah, so Junior and Daddy haven't been paying the bills.... nice.

Training camp is going to be a bitch with no equipment.
                      Hence why the league office is getting so involved lately. The Als are in far worse shape that I thought.

Comment

• Originally posted by RDavidson View Post

Hence why the league office is getting so involved lately. The Als are in far worse shape that I thought.
                        Yip, I wondered why the league needed to get involved and now we know.

Comment

Yip, I wondered why the league needed to get involved and now we know.
                          The Wetenhall's are walking away.

Comment

The Wetenhall's are walking away.
                            Hopefully the league is further along in the sale process than I think they are, or the Riders could be receiving less TV revenue this year.

Comment

Hopefully the league is further along in the sale process than I think they are, or the Riders could be receiving less TV revenue this year.
                              I think something is going to happen and quite soon. It's coming to a head. RDS has been hinting strongly at this lately.

Comment

I think something is going to happen and quite soon. It's coming to a head. RDS has been hinting strongly at this lately.
                                Looking at their roster, they have signed a couple of former Rider prospects, Jarvin Harrison (OL) and Chris Lyles (DB).

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X