Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alouettes are up for sale

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by R.J View Post
    Teams carry debt, and the Alouettes have been losing money for a few years now. Do you think Wetenhall was paying for the losses out of pocket or financing the debt ?

    This is nothing new in sports.
    Is this just speculation, or is there some data to support this claim? Just asking...

    Comment


    • Originally posted by BCRiderfan View Post

      Is this just speculation, or is there some data to support this claim? Just asking...
      On the Als losing money? Ownership has claimed it. He has stated this is probably a make or break season. The commish has talked about working closely with him in efforts to turn things around. Butts in s3ats is clearly down significantly.
      #keepthepromise

      Onward with escaping the hopeless fantasy of an artificial freedom and darkened picket fences the disillusioned front of friendly foes

      Comment


      • Finalising a sale int he middle of CBA negotiations is a bit tough. You'd think the new owners would want to see the operating model for the next few years, though they may have some confidence that it will not change too much from the previous one.

        Cost certainty is a bit part of what could make the Als viable. The SMS and the admin cap will both help with that. What new owners would need to fix is the revenue side.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by gilligan View Post
          Finalising a sale int he middle of CBA negotiations is a bit tough. You'd think the new owners would want to see the operating model for the next few years, though they may have some confidence that it will not change too much from the previous one.

          Cost certainty is a bit part of what could make the Als viable. The SMS and the admin cap will both help with that. What new owners would need to fix is the revenue side.
          Without question they have to grow the revenues. The team went from 18,000 season ticket holders to 8,500 - add in corporate sponsorship going from $6 million to around $2.5 million, and you can see why this team is in deep doo doo. Riding themselves of the Alouettes Board of Directors would save 'em a few hundred thousand as well.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by R.J View Post
            Without question they have to grow the revenues. The team went from 18,000 season ticket holders to 8,500 - add in corporate sponsorship going from $6 million to around $2.5 million, and you can see why this team is in deep doo doo. Riding themselves of the Alouettes Board of Directors would save 'em a few hundred thousand as well.
            And nothing of value would be lost.

            Comment


            • Looks like the sale could happen shortly. League could take over as the Wetenhalls want out now.
              https://www.rds.ca/football/alouette...-lcf-1.6703416

              Comment


              • This whole saga sure is reminiscent of when the Gliebergoof family was running the Ottawa Rough Riders into the ground 25ish years ago.
                ZC gets another chance to feed cram sammiches!

                Comment


                • Another Montreal team folds. I guess if they get an expansion team, the overly generous draft would give them a winner and the casual fans will come back

                  Comment


                  • Move the franchise to Quebec City or Halifax.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by R.J View Post
                      Looks like the sale could happen shortly. League could take over as the Wetenhalls want out now.
                      https://www.rds.ca/football/alouette...-lcf-1.6703416
                      The english version.

                      Lots of questions and I wonder why this sudden urgency to make this happen. It almost smells like the Wetenhalls are being forced out. Perhaps the League kicking Manziel out has something to do with whats going on.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by McGreen View Post
                        Move the franchise to Quebec City or Halifax.
                        If the Alouettes move to Halifax where would Toronto go then ?
                        Quebec City is not a legitimate destination.

                        Comment


                        • http://plus.lapresse.ca/screens/d853...9__7C___0.html

                          Lapointe thinks the team could make $3-5 million in profit ? If that were true, this team would've been sold already, even if the debt was in the $20 million range.

                          I don't think I'll ever understand how Lapointe and Maciocia are considered saviors, but I suppose media folk seem to love accessible people, and especially the ones who not only talk to them, but leak information. Hence, why someone like Taman is still to this day loved by media in Sask and Wpg.
                          Last edited by R.J; 03-24-2019, 10:05 AM.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Mallard View Post
                            This whole saga sure is reminiscent of when the Gliebergoof family was running the Ottawa Rough Riders into the ground 25ish years ago.
                            Not really. The Wetenhalls did a ton of good for the Als over the 20 years they've owned them. The Als were bankrupt in '97. They came in and took over, taking on the team's debt even though they weren't require to. I imagine a lot of that debt was to local businesses, so they did that to make sure people weren't screwed over by the previous owner's failure. That went a long way to helping both their reputation and the team's.

                            Without the Wetenhalls and the millions they dumped into the team and Molson Stadium, the Als might've been a 2 year failed experiment in the late 90s. With the CFL folding all the US teams in '95, and folding Ottawa in '96, it could've been fatal to the league if they had to fold Montreal so soon after. They saved the Als franchise, and they might've saved the league too.

                            In the same timeframe the Wetenhalls owned the Als, the Gliebergoofs could've run at least a half dozen franchises into the ground.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Magnum View Post

                              The english version.

                              Lots of questions and I wonder why this sudden urgency to make this happen. It almost smells like the Wetenhalls are being forced out. Perhaps the League kicking Manziel out has something to do with whats going on.
                              I suspect that not being awarded a Grey Cup may impact the timing more so. If they were hosting in the next year or two, they might have hung on for that payoff (even though it isn't as rich as it used to be with the added revenue sharing). With times being tough, and the next big payday being years out, I could see why they'd want out now.

                              They did a ton for the team, but it doesn't look like they're the group that is going to turn it around this time. They've lost some good will in the community over the last few years, and I imagine their own patience is less than it once was. If there is going to be a fresh start, it is better for everyone that it happens sooner rather than later.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by gilligan View Post

                                I suspect that not being awarded a Grey Cup may impact the timing more so. If they were hosting in the next year or two, they might have hung on for that payoff (even though it isn't as rich as it used to be with the added revenue sharing). With times being tough, and the next big payday being years out, I could see why they'd want out now.

                                They did a ton for the team, but it doesn't look like they're the group that is going to turn it around this time. They've lost some good will in the community over the last few years, and I imagine their own patience is less than it once was. If there is going to be a fresh start, it is better for everyone that it happens sooner rather than later.
                                For the Grey Cup it was 2020 or 2022 and beyond because of the renovations happening to the Big OWE.

                                With the team, much of everything lays at their feet for meddling in the football ops, and then hiring Kavis....WTF....

                                They have been great for the league, but the last few years its just train wreck after train wreck.

                                Comment

                                Announcement

                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

                                Announcement

                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X