Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alouettes are up for sale

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mallard View Post
    Imho, Machocha inherited the 2005 grey cup team. It went down hill dramatically after that. He's zero improvement over Mavis, imho.
    If I recall that 2005 team he inherited was an aging team that was milked for one last hurrah. It was a team that would need a significant overhaul, especially on the defensive side where the majority of their starters were in their early to mid 30s.

Comment

• Originally posted by gilligan View Post
      With Molson stadium being wedged into a crowded university campus, I'm not sure how the Als can achieve the same thing.
      I've been to a few games at Molson and yes there is really no room to add anything for the reason you state. The 5000 seats they added a few years back is about as much as could be done outside of perhaps replacing the aluminum bench types with individual seats which of course would reduce capacity as they take up more room. Still though the sightlines are outstanding there. I've sat only on the side the team benches are on and it feels like you are right on top of the play.

Comment

• Originally posted by TorontoVsEverybody View Post

Owners who seek out the limelight as much as Lapointe, tend to be trouble. If he wants the team, and he has the resources, he should pick up the phone and stay out of the media. There might be a reason he's being kept in the dark.
        Lapointe and Maciocia have every right to vent their opinion about the Alouettes and how badly they've faltered. Do they have some ulterior motives in mind? I think so. You yourself were vociferous in your opinions on Chris Jones. Heck, you'd think we were 6-12 instead of 12-6 at times.

There's a lot of frustration in Montreal and it's all warranted.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rider_Stronson View Post

Lapointe and Maciocia have every right to vent their opinion about the Alouettes and how badly they've faltered. Do they have some ulterior motives in mind? I think so. You yourself were vociferous in your opinions on Chris Jones. Heck, you'd think we were 6-12 instead of 12-6 at times.

This is true, but it doesn't mean that Lapointe could be a legitimate ownership option (even though I think he could be a good President). Nor does it mean that Maciocia should be the team's VP of football operations and/or GM, and/or Head Coach.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rider_Stronson View Post

I am an anonymous poster on a website. Lapointe is a potential owner in a public spotlight.
            No one cares what I think. Lapointe is hurling insults in the media, at the party he intends to commence negotiations with.

There's a difference between Lapointe and I.

Comment

• Originally posted by TorontoVsEverybody View Post

I am an anonymous poster on a website. Lapointe is a potential owner in a public spotlight.
              No one cares what I think. Lapointe is hurling insults in the media, at the party he intends to commence negotiations with.

There's a difference between Lapointe and I.
              Maybe it's like George Costanza's relationship with the reps from the Houston Astros.
              Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

Comment

• Former Als player Lapointe says time is of the essence to purchase club
                https://www.tsn.ca/former-als-player...club-1.1275953

Lapointe said he spoke briefly by text last week with Alouettes director Andrew Wetenhall, whose father, Bob, owns the franchise. However, nothing concrete came from the conversation.

"It was very brief," Lapointe said Tuesday. "I sent about 20 questions but he never answered.

"I'd say he seemed disappointed that maybe I was his last hope, or maybe one of his last hopes, and he was ready to sell but it seems like he's selling to the league because there's nothing else on the football side. There could be investors but they're not directly connected to Andrew with any offer."

"(It's) mid-March and the draft is coming soon and you want to put a team on the field. I'm a man of my word but I'm not crazy. I can do things but we're not going to look stupid by just being too slow."

"It's more challenging especially when I'm not retired . . . and if you make me waste weeks of work with no results, I'm not sure exactly why I should be doing it. That's why I'm saying if there are other groups, can they show up because I could leave."

IMO, Lapointe needs to calm down a bit. Everyone knows the Alouettes are struggling, but the Wetenhall's aren't going to sell just because he wants them to. I get the feeling they (Wetenhall's) want a specific ownership group to take over the team.

Comment

• Well Iím pleasantly surprised there seems to be serious interest in purchasing the club.

Comment

• Originally posted by failedslacker View Post
                    Couldn't they just eat it and declare that they are over this year?
                    Sort of. They'd pay a fine equal to the amount over but risk no draft picks.

Comment

The province just spent a lot of money to update each stadium to fit their pro team. They're also looking to redo the roof at Big O. So it'd be surprising to see them fund any other major stadium work for the Als or Impact.
                      If the City of Montreal and/or Province of Quebec have any money squirreled away for potential contribution to stadiums in the next decade I think they want to see what happens with the movement to bring MLB and the Expos back before letting it go to something else. I'm not sure if the new roof on the Big Owe would do the trick as those old multipurpose sports stadiums have pretty much gone the way of the dodo bird for baseball. All those old stadiums like Three Rivers, Riverfront, Veterans Stadium, Kingdome, Fulton County, Busch etc have long been imploded as obsolete. A lot of the scuttlebutt from the group wanting to bring MLB back to Montreal was about building a new 35000 seat baseball only stadium in downtown Montreal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Marcus Aurelius View Post
                        Well Iím pleasantly surprised there seems to be serious interest in purchasing the club.
                        I did offer $15.00!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hambone View Post

If the City of Montreal and/or Province of Quebec have any money squirreled away for potential contribution to stadiums in the next decade I think they want to see what happens with the movement to bring MLB and the Expos back before letting it go to something else. I'm not sure if the new roof on the Big Owe would do the trick as those old multipurpose sports stadiums have pretty much gone the way of the dodo bird for baseball. All those old stadiums like Three Rivers, Riverfront, Veterans Stadium, Kingdome, Fulton County, Busch etc have long been imploded as obsolete. A lot of the scuttlebutt from the group wanting to bring MLB back to Montreal was about building a new 35000 seat baseball only stadium in downtown Montreal.
                          They're redoing the roof at Big O anyhow, partly for World Cup and partly to ensure they can get future Grey Cups. Long term their options were to fix the roof or dynamite the building. A lot of people may prefer the latter, but they are going to go with the former.

MLB doesn't see it as a baseball venue, but it is still a football/soccer venue. It could probably be a temporary home for the Expos if need be, but they won't get a team back until a new stadium is a sure thing.

Comment

They're redoing the roof at Big O anyhow, partly for World Cup and partly to ensure they can get future Grey Cups. Long term their options were to fix the roof or dynamite the building. A lot of people may prefer the latter, but they are going to go with the former.

MLB doesn't see it as a baseball venue, but it is still a football/soccer venue. It could probably be a temporary home for the Expos if need be, but they won't get a team back until a new stadium is a sure thing.
                            There are claims that it would cost almost as much to demo it as it cost to build it. A leading factor had something to do with now encased tensioning cables.
                            #keepthepromise

Onward with escaping the hopeless fantasy of an artificial freedom and darkened picket fences the disillusioned front of friendly foes

Comment

Olympic Stadium is going to be there long after we're all gone. It's become an icon. Montrealers may hate how much it cost, but world-wide, it's the most recognizable building in the city and up there with anything in the whole country.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hambone View Post

With Quebec being a "have-not" province and getting a good chuck of equalization payments, if the Province kicks any money in...it is probably money from the Western provinces...
                                Football Gods 23:34

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X