Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Former Rider in college entrance scandal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Beacon.x View Post

It's not ridiculous. It's reality. Who's going to pony up the money? Higher tuitions? Maybe you are going to fund them?

yeah, lots of people are charitable with no hopes of some back scratching. That's awesome. I do a fair bit of philanthropy and expect nothing. But the reality is that when you are talking huge dollars, both help a lot.

I could just as easily say you have a narrow point of view. I mean you want to see hundreds of thousands of students not get every added perk possible from their campus for #25001 sliding in at the bottom.
    Actually, some of the universities in the scandal have massive endowments already (Stanford is around $25Billion, USC $5.5Billion) and require no extra donations for buildings or whatever. It is strictly an ego stroking exercise for the donor, or a bribe and a tax write-off that could go a more deserving function.

Also, you keep referencing (with a hashtag no less) that student 25000 is getting bumped. The largest undergrad population in the US is Central Florida which is around 66K students. Highly unlikely they have 25k freshman and since most enrollments are restricted by program, your number is garbage. Hell, USC has 20K total undergrad students and Stanford has 7K.

Comment

Originally posted by footballisgood View Post

Actually, some of the universities in the scandal have massive endowments already (Stanford is around $25Billion, USC $5.5Billion) and require no extra donations for buildings or whatever. It is strictly an ego stroking exercise for the donor, or a bribe and a tax write-off that could go a more deserving function.

Also, you keep referencing (with a hashtag no less) that student 25000 is getting bumped. The largest undergrad population in the US is Central Florida which is around 66K students. Highly unlikely they have 25k freshman and since most enrollments are restricted by program, your number is garbage. Hell, USC has 20K total undergrad students and Stanford has 7K.
      UCF had over 56k undergrad students last year. 56972 actually, and over 68000 students, plus over 13000 staff and fulltime researchers. That's >80 000 people directly benefited from donations in one year. But sure, use #20001 if you want. Or even #10001.

how dare they get something paid for when they have money. Really?
      #keepthepromise

Onward with escaping the hopeless fantasy of an artificial freedom and darkened picket fences the disillusioned front of friendly foes

Comment

Originally posted by Mustard Tiger View Post

Youíre misunderstanding if you think the AG is disagreeing with me. Whatís said there is that they have to avoid the appearance of quid pro quo. They make a donation, kid gets in, but no one explicitly states one is connected to the other. Itís just a game, thereís no mystery as to what just occurred.

At least you have donated in quotation marks. Iím gonna call it buying their way in because thatís exactly what it is. If buying their way in is fine with you thatís your choice, but letís not pretend itís something itís not.
        Don't think I misunderstood. Like I said, call it what you want, I'm cool with it however you choose to reterm the donation. I've never once stated providing it with demands of entry. I stated donation resulting in favourable/preferential admissions review. It's not the same thing
        Last edited by Beacon.x; 03-13-2019, 04:52 PM.
        #keepthepromise

Onward with escaping the hopeless fantasy of an artificial freedom and darkened picket fences the disillusioned front of friendly foes

Comment

Originally posted by Beacon.x View Post

Don't think I misunderstood. Like I said, call it what you want, I'm cool with it however you choose to reterm the donation. I've never once stated providing it with demands of entry. I stated donation resulting in favourable/preferential admissions review. It's not the same thing
          Sure, and Iíll go back and say if you want to use the sanitized term ďdonationĒ for whatís really a purchase, thatís fine.

Of course they canít explicitly demand entry, that would make it illegal. Letís not be naive here and pretend the ďdonationsĒ arenít expected to be met with admission in kind.

Comment

Originally posted by Mustard Tiger View Post

Sure, and Iíll go back and say if you want to use the sanitized term ďdonationĒ for whatís really a purchase, thatís fine.

Of course they canít explicitly demand entry, that would make it illegal. Letís not be naive here and pretend the ďdonationsĒ arenít expected to be met with admission in kind.
            For sure they are, and I am fine with that. Legacy applicants get preferential reviews...at least lots of others are benefiting out of the same thing with a donation. The day legacy and administration families stop getting preferential reviews, I might change my mind. That's not going to happen though, and schools fully admit it is a part of the applicant review process. 2 people on the edge, one parent went there or works there or gave a big donation, guess who is getting in. Now if someone has an SAT of something like 1000 and the lowest getting in is 1340, a bit different. if they are at 1300, sure, look at it. The same happens with 2 students who have similar scores but one who is a bit lower crushes the other in an entrance essay, or one did all sorts of extracurricular and/or philanthropy activities, they are generally going to get the go over the higher scores. And yes, family philanthropy counts in that. You think if Bill Gates kid was a little lower than someone that their family philanthropy doesn't become a factor? Now take that philanthropy and equate it to a direct donation to fund something for the school. Call that what you want, but of course it is going to gain good grace. Admission is not black and white.
            Last edited by Beacon.x; 03-13-2019, 05:16 PM.
            #keepthepromise

Comment

Just a timely and relevant to this thread story today showing philanthropy done right, for the cynics out there. https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/14/tech/...dia/index.html

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X