Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Be Very, Very, Kwiet.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CalgaryRiderFan View Post
    This is usually a lull between free agency frenzy and the draft isn't it? This year I figure we will get more news than usual due to the CBA issues
    We used to have the mini camp in early April that would build up some excitement but it is gone now. Is it permanently gone or is it just because of the CBA negotiations this year?

Comment

Originally posted by Tyree View Post

We used to have the mini camp in early April that would build up some excitement but it is gone now. Is it permanently gone or is it just because of the CBA negotiations this year?
      Didn't those get hoffa'ed as part of the mandated coaching and administration cuts.
      Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

Comment

Originally posted by Bigsexydawg View Post

Didn't those get hoffa'ed as part of the mandated coaching and administration cuts.
        That makes more sense.

Comment

I think one reason it has seemed so quiet was that the league got rid of the OTA's (free agent camps) down south which in my mind created some much needed interest in the league in the offseason. Secondly, the freeze on admin salaries has limited coaching movement to some extent. This league shuns fan interest and media attention like cockroaches shun the sunlight.

The guaranteed contract talk worries me because it is simply not doable in the CFL. The NFL covers most of its costs from its TV money and has a much larger degree of revenue certainty. Guaranteed deals are simply more a cost of doing business. The CFL is a gate driven league and margins are very tight league wide. Guaranteed contracts are a non-starter. If the players dig in on this we may well lose the season I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigsexydawg View Post

IIRC it was originally a package deal but there was too much pushback, so they split the matters apart. Perhaps that was a tactic to get people to compromise on the staff cap, but they said minis and workouts would be reviewed separately in the off season, and I haven't noticed anything on that. I suspect it would be in the same timeframe as the rules committee getting together.
            #keepthepromise

Onward with escaping the hopeless fantasy of an artificial freedom and darkened picket fences the disillusioned front of friendly foes

Comment

Originally posted by Vegas View Post

1st place then I guess, hey?
              I'm not sure what you're asking, or what you mean by that. If it's a shot or some cryptic commentary on the new regime, then here's my thoughts on 2019.

We're going to see the team being built from the line-of-scrimmage out. We're going to see an influx of heart-and-soul players who will be great in the locker room -- not choir boys -- just guys who will bleed for their teammates. We're going to see a deeper engagement with football programs across the province -- the ultimate goal being to build our Canadian depth by developing prospects in our backyard. We're going to see a blue-collar team that will gut out wins.

We're going to be in contention for a playoff spot, come October.

Comment

Originally posted by Sprout View Post
                Would it have anything to do with the uncertainty about the CBA? It would be interesting to compare the stats from the the last time the CBA was up for re-negotiation.
                And we have the winning answer

Comment

Originally posted by TorontoVsEverybody View Post

I'm not sure what you're asking, or what you mean by that. If it's a shot or some cryptic commentary on the new regime, then here's my thoughts on 2019.

We're going to see the team being built from the line-of-scrimmage out. We're going to see an influx of heart-and-soul players who will be great in the locker room -- not choir boys -- just guys who will bleed for their teammates. We're going to see a deeper engagement with football programs across the province -- the ultimate goal being to build our Canadian depth by developing prospects in our backyard. We're going to see a blue-collar team that will gut out wins.

We're going to be in contention for a playoff spot, come October.
                  Nothing cryptic about your statements on the old regime.

so bottom line you are predicting a feel good, backstep in the standings sort of season.
                  Last edited by Vegas; 03-11-2019, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X