Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019 Mock Draft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Go Greene & White View Post
    I thought I saw somewhere in the news the other day that NCAA players(football or otherwise) will be now paid a salary. I havenít read it yet, I just saw the caption. Did anyone read this and do you think the CIS would follow in their footsteps.
    https://www.vox.com/2019/3/10/182589...d-court-ruling
    #keepthepromise

Onward with escaping the hopeless fantasy of an artificial freedom and darkened picket fences the disillusioned front of friendly foes

Comment

Originally posted by pw13 View Post

So every Cdn rookie would lose an entire year to practice roster duty, at $750 a week (or whatever those guys get paid)? Losing a prime earning year is not going to attract the best players to this league.
      It would only drive more good players south or out of football.

As for moving the season up, I'm confident Bell/TSN will not accept a season that starts any earlier than mid-June, despite how much a few teams have pushed Ambrosie on this.
      The concept comes off as weird and probably easily shot down in court as players are being denied the opportunity to earn a living. Effectively every draft eligible Canadian kid coming out of college would have to wait half a season for a draft while an American kid could play immediately.

Would PR spots be available for every drafted player? What about undrafted players? How big would a PR have to be to accommodate the normal 10 plus mid-season drafted players, undrafted signings and of course the normal 4 or 5 week expansion in October for a look at some INTs? 20 on the PR? 25? Hardly something that will be manageable for a team more focused on the stretch drive for the playoffs than rationing a few precious reps for somebody to get a better feel for next year's training camp. You could conceivably have 2 kids, 1 Canadian and 1 American, graduating from the same NCAA program at the same time with only the American being eligible to go the training camp. Talk about discrimination and it's the Canadian getting screwed. The only way to even that part out would be to also make all INTs coming out of the same draft class ineligible to join a CFL club until after that mid-season draft. Again it only serves to discourage talent from considering the CFL.

Comment

Originally posted by Go Greene & White View Post
        I thought I saw somewhere in the news the other day that NCAA players(football or otherwise) will be now paid a salary. I havenít read it yet, I just saw the caption. Did anyone read this and do you think the CIS would follow in their footsteps.
        There has been lots of debate on that in recent years. Comparison though would be more to junior hockey where teams effectively make their money on the backs of child labour. In the case of NCAA sports some schools make massive money off the backs of the athletes. For the athletes while some, not all, get lucrative scholarships that doesn't mean the kids have a bunch of money in their pockets. Between classes and time commitments to their sports many can't even take on a part time job to earn some spending money. At least CHL players get a weekly stipend ($50 to $100) to give themselves some pocket money but such payment would be verboten in the NCAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Hambone View Post

There has been lots of debate on that in recent years. Comparison though would be more to junior hockey where teams effectively make their money on the backs of child labour. In the case of NCAA sports some schools make massive money off the backs of the athletes. For the athletes while some, not all, get lucrative scholarships that doesn't mean the kids have a bunch of money in their pockets. Between classes and time commitments to their sports many can't even take on a part time job to earn some spending money. At least CHL players get a weekly stipend ($50 to $100) to give themselves some pocket money but such payment would be verboten in the NCAA.
          And I believe that is exactly why CHL players are ineligible for NCAA hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by CC Ryder View Post

? - you're saying he can't possibly compete for a roster spot or even get some playing time as a rookie? - Chris Strevler, Antonio Pipkin, David Watford, Mac Bethel-Thompson ... made CFL rosters and played.
            I would say he would outperform all of the above on the passing trials of the NFL combines.

Comment

Originally posted by Riderfan View Post
              The Riders could surprise this year by drafting QB Michael OíConnor early. I saw him play againstr the Rams in 2018 and was very impressed. I think he could have all the tools including great size and a strong and accurate arm.. If you wish to see him in action check his youtube hilites. I think sometimed it is wise to think outside the box and not simply adopt the usual approach of drafting for the sterotypical Canadian positions including olineman and so forth. There are obvious reasons not to take this guy early :however, there are opportunities to be bold and secure a franchise player and fill an important need for the hear future. This is I think one of those rare opportunities that the Riders need to display wisdom and exercise some vision. I think he could be that good.
              I am with you. My concern is NFL interest with this guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Riderfan View Post
                I do not see CFL coaches converting Michael to another position which seems to me what often happens with various degrees of success. One of his major strengths I think is his mechanics. This priovides some consistency and accuracy. I am not certain of all the reasons that it did not work out at Penn State although he was apparently red shirted which may have diiscouragrd him however , there was apparently interest to recruit him according to a Youtube interview from Michigan State, Mississippi State, Nortre Dame and Texas after he spent his last year of high school training at IMG in Florida. A huge advanrage for him with the CFlL is that he has played CIS Football which translates intio familiarity with the important nuances of Canadian Football including schemes ,the tempo of the game, rules and size of field rather than a Canadian whio has played mostly American football throughout high school and college. His US IMG video suggests that he can drop back effectively as well as play the traditional CFL shotgun or spread offence. In addition to passing he is mobile and can both roll out as well as scramble when required. My suggestion here is that this guy is not the typical Canadian QB candidate instead he is rather unique and could be a player who can conpete as a franchise QB regardless of the Ratio rules. IF that change occurs that of course would be a huge bonus.
                His major reason for picking Penn State was the HC. O'brien recruited him and then moved over on to the NFL. The new coach had different ideas. He was ranked by many as among the top 5 or 6 HS QBs and a lot of big programs were after him.

Comment

Originally posted by Hambone View Post

https://www.kxan.com/amp/news/local/...all/1837276392

Comment

Originally posted by brady View Post

His major reason for picking Penn State was the HC. O'brien recruited him and then moved over on to the NFL. The new coach had different ideas. He was ranked by many as among the top 5 or 6 HS QBs and a lot of big programs were after him.
                    Thanks for that info.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X