Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019 Mock Draft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Riderfan View Post
    I get there is always the rule or general logic and then there is the exception. Being able to sort out these dilemmas and recognise opportunities among the challenges may translate into the difference between winning and losing. In the end though there are often so many moving parts that an educated guess is perhaps the best one can hope for in any Draft. Having the maximum picks can assist the process or not. The CFL Draft is challenging because if you pick the best they may never play here and remain in the NFL. If you do not gamble a team can sometimes miss out on a franchise player. I think we can all agree that sometimes pure luck or chance trumps sound analysis in some circumstances in any complex endeavor. That perhaps explains how the benefit of hindsight and not having ones a$$ on the line makes for genius or at least perception of that. A missing part of a typical fan is that we do not have access to a vital part of any draft selection process which the character, motivation and personality of the candidate. Also these factors need not be fixed in a dynamic reality.
    I would like to see a rule that only allowed players to be in either the CFL draft or the NFL draft. Further if they want to pursue the CFL draft they would have to sign a contract with the CFL that states they can only play in the CFL until they have completed their first contract or are released by the team that drafted them. Players who elect to enter the NFL draft or wait to sign in the NFL as UDFAs would then become eligible for a supplemental draft (with the same contractual obligation) after they have exhausted NFL options. This would simplify the CFL draft and make players commit to one path or the other.

Comment

Originally posted by McGreen View Post

I would like to see a rule that only allowed players to be in either the CFL draft or the NFL draft. Further if they want to pursue the CFL draft they would have to sign a contract with the CFL that states they can only play in the CFL until they have completed their first contract or are released by the team that drafted them. Players who elect to enter the NFL draft or wait to sign in the NFL as UDFAs would then become eligible for a supplemental draft (with the same contractual obligation) after they have exhausted NFL options. This would simplify the CFL draft and make players commit to one path or the other.
      I'd actually like to see a mid-season draft. Have it in August. All drafted players then come in as non-counters and spend the remaining time with the club on the PR. They get a feel for the CFL and going into the off-season, they get their advice on what to work on. They then hit camp with that as a benefit. There are players cut every year that if they had a bit more time to work with them, surely the odd one would stick. A mid-season draft is also one of the biggest hurdles from moving the season up, TSN understandably pushing back on the idea being the other. You also then see a few of the guys poking at the NFL back for the draft as well. Reality is that if they want to move the season up, they are going to need to do something like this anyways, unless they want to really muddy the waters by having it before the NFL does theirs.
      #keepthepromise

Onward with escaping the hopeless fantasy of an artificial freedom and darkened picket fences the disillusioned front of friendly foes

Comment

Originally posted by CC Ryder View Post

O'Connor is an Ottawa area guy; and the RedBlacks have next to zip-o at QB now (unless you think Jonathan Jennings is some sort of saviour there; Dominique Davis looked like a stiff with the Bombers IMO - maybe he puts it together as the starter in Ottawa?). Desjardins to draft O'Connor and give him a real shot? = highly doubtful IMO cause aside from building a strong O-line via the draft, he next likes to look at back-up H-Backs, special teamer projects or long-snappers more with his draft thinking.
        So your saying that this QB can come in and compete with these vets immediately?

Comment

Originally posted by Fullhouse View Post

So your saying that this QB can come in and compete with these vets immediately?
          ? - you're saying he can't possibly compete for a roster spot or even get some playing time as a rookie? - Chris Strevler, Antonio Pipkin, David Watford, Mac Bethel-Thompson ... made CFL rosters and played.

Comment

Originally posted by Beacon.x View Post

I'd actually like to see a mid-season draft. Have it in August. All drafted players then come in as non-counters and spend the remaining time with the club on the PR. They get a feel for the CFL and going into the off-season, they get their advice on what to work on. They then hit camp with that as a benefit.
            Wow. Interesting idea and certainly one I donít think many would have considered. I like this idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Bingo_Arms View Post

Wow. Interesting idea and certainly one I donít think many would have considered. I like this idea.
              yeah, I have brought it up a couple times. I mean if they want to move the season up, and they want to find and develop more nationals, then it has legitimacy IMO. In one thread, some examples of other leagues that have mid-season drafts was brought up, so it is not reinventing the wheel or anything. Right now there is no time to have a real rookies camp. They are drafted and in town in like a week or 2. I mean, I would also like to see these guys getting some time off right after grad as well, which they really don't. Sure, you lose out on a few new faces in year one of it, but after that it is par for the course.
              #keepthepromise

Onward with escaping the hopeless fantasy of an artificial freedom and darkened picket fences the disillusioned front of friendly foes

Comment

yeah, I have brought it up a couple times. I mean if they want to move the season up, and they want to find and develop more nationals, then it has legitimacy IMO. In one thread, some examples of other leagues that have mid-season drafts was brought up, so it is not reinventing the wheel or anything. Right now there is no time to have a real rookies camp. They are drafted and in town in like a week or 2. I mean, I would also like to see these guys getting some time off right after grad as well, which they really don't. Sure, you lose out on a few new faces in year one of it, but after that it is par for the course.
                And itís rare a draft pick makes much of an impact in year one anyways. I really like it and think it would be a big benefit to their development.

Comment

Do you think this would be more beneficial to the players and teams than to actually have them in training camp?

Comment

Originally posted by Tyree View Post

Do you think this would be more beneficial to the players and teams than to actually have them in training camp?
                    You would have them in training camp, in year 2. And better prepared before they have 2 weeks to learn and show they have more to offer before cutdowns.
                    #keepthepromise

Comment

Originally posted by CC Ryder View Post

? - you're saying he can't possibly compete for a roster spot or even get some playing time as a rookie? - Chris Strevler, Antonio Pipkin, David Watford, Mac Bethel-Thompson ... made CFL rosters and played.
                      Absolutely. But I am saying rookie QBs regardless of nationality cannot come in and beat vets for starting jobs. I think playing QBs too quick in the CFL hurts them. I donít think Pipkin is ready to start either, hopefully the Als use Adams JR more this season and groom Pipkin more.

Comment

I'd actually like to see a mid-season draft. Have it in August. All drafted players then come in as non-counters and spend the remaining time with the club on the PR. They get a feel for the CFL and going into the off-season, they get their advice on what to work on. They then hit camp with that as a benefit. There are players cut every year that if they had a bit more time to work with them, surely the odd one would stick. A mid-season draft is also one of the biggest hurdles from moving the season up, TSN understandably pushing back on the idea being the other. You also then see a few of the guys poking at the NFL back for the draft as well. Reality is that if they want to move the season up, they are going to need to do something like this anyways, unless they want to really muddy the waters by having it before the NFL does theirs.
                        So every Cdn rookie would lose an entire year to practice roster duty, at $750 a week (or whatever those guys get paid)? Losing a prime earning year is not going to attract the best players to this league.
                        It would only drive more good players south or out of football.

As for moving the season up, I'm confident Bell/TSN will not accept a season that starts any earlier than mid-June, despite how much a few teams have pushed Ambrosie on this.
                        ---

Author of Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (the inside story of the 1983 Toronto Argonauts). Next up, a book about the 1991 Argos (working subtitle The year the CFL Went Hollywood). To be published . . . whenever it is done.

Comment

Originally posted by pw13 View Post

So every Cdn rookie would lose an entire year to practice roster duty, at $750 a week (or whatever those guys get paid)? Losing a prime earning year is not going to attract the best players to this league.
                          It would only drive more good players south or out of football.

As for moving the season up, I'm confident Bell/TSN will not accept a season that starts any earlier than mid-June, despite how much a few teams have pushed Ambrosie on this.

As it would be SMS exempt, why would you need to pay them 750 a week? Pay them their salary. You just need to cap 1st year earnings so it is not abused.

As it has been reported during the town halls that some things are being worked on, I wouldn't say that moving the season up is dead in the water. It is likely dead for this TV contract though. Draft is already May 2nd, with Rookie camp on the 15th. I am not sure how not adjusting the draft is an option if they want to even consider moving the season up. It needs to be addressed before it can be looked at seriously.
                          Last edited by Beacon.x; 03-10-2019, 04:04 PM.
                          #keepthepromise

Comment

I thought I saw somewhere in the news the other day that NCAA players(football or otherwise) will be now paid a salary. I havenít read it yet, I just saw the caption. Did anyone read this and do you think the CIS would follow in their footsteps.

Comment

Originally posted by Go Greene & White View Post
                              I thought I saw somewhere in the news the other day that NCAA players(football or otherwise) will be now paid a salary. I havenít read it yet, I just saw the caption. Did anyone read this and do you think the CIS would follow in their footsteps.
                              No money for that in CIS.

Comment

Originally posted by Mustard Tiger View Post

No money for that in CIS.
                                They would probably actually need to pay if they wanted a piece of the pie lol
                                #keepthepromise

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X