Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019 Mock Draft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am interested in the draft, but I look at it as building for the future. I wonder what percentage of first round picks start in their first year. I am not talking special teams, I would be surprised if many receivers or d linemen get lots of reps in their first year. O linemen seem to have a better chance. Correct me if I am wrong. ( As if I actually need to say that on this forum.)

Comment

I think Chris Jones preference was let’s draft the best athlete first. Someone who grades out fast and strong regardless of position. Contribute on special teams right away then gets “coached up” and he will decide which position best suits the team.

Unless they can pick a can’t miss O line prospect, they should go receiver first, then DB to add depth at safety.

Comment

The Riders could surprise this year by drafting QB Michael O’Connor early. I saw him play againstr the Rams in 2018 and was very impressed. I think he could have all the tools including great size and a strong and accurate arm.. If you wish to see him in action check his youtube hilites. I think sometimed it is wise to think outside the box and not simply adopt the usual approach of drafting for the sterotypical Canadian positions including olineman and so forth. There are obvious reasons not to take this guy early :however, there are opportunities to be bold and secure a franchise player and fill an important need for the hear future. This is I think one of those rare opportunities that the Riders need to display wisdom and exercise some vision. I think he could be that good.

Comment

Originally posted by Beacon.x View Post

Brandyn Bartlett was also a supplemental pick was he not?
          Yip, he was.

Comment

Pick the best player available, regardless of position. Only if a couple guys are pretty close when you are drafting do you draft for position of need.

Comment

Originally posted by Riderfan View Post
              The Riders could surprise this year by drafting QB Michael O’Connor early. I saw him play againstr the Rams in 2018 and was very impressed. I think he could have all the tools including great size and a strong and accurate arm.. If you wish to see him in action check his youtube hilites. I think sometimed it is wise to think outside the box and not simply adopt the usual approach of drafting for the sterotypical Canadian positions including olineman and so forth. There are obvious reasons not to take this guy early :however, there are opportunities to be bold and secure a franchise player and fill an important need for the hear future. This is I think one of those rare opportunities that the Riders need to display wisdom and exercise some vision. I think he could be that good.
              I'd say that a team that has stockpiled picks is a lot more likely to do that.
              #keepthepromise

Onward with escaping the hopeless fantasy of an artificial freedom and darkened picket fences the disillusioned front of friendly foes

Comment

I'd say that a team that has stockpiled picks is a lot more likely to do that.
                So you expect that move from Hamilton then? Evans is behind Masoli and after that I don't know what they have.
                Last edited by Tyree; 03-09-2019, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyree View Post

So you expect that move from Hamilton then? Evans is behind Masoli and after that I don't know what they have.
                  I would suspect they may be a player in a mid round pick for him. They are not the only team on the plus side for picks though, and I think in the 3 to 6 are actually down. Unlikely he goes before 3, or 4 really, for a team making a move on him. Is he open to a new role? That would be a big factor. I can see Huff looking at him.
                  #keepthepromise

Onward with escaping the hopeless fantasy of an artificial freedom and darkened picket fences the disillusioned front of friendly foes

Comment

I would suspect they may be a player in a mid round pick for him. They are not the only team on the plus side for picks though, and I think in the 3 to 6 are actually down. Unlikely he goes before 3, or 4 really, for a team making a move on him. Is he open to a new role? That would be a big factor. I can see Huff looking at him.
                    Wasn't there some talk of him getting some NFL interest? We will have to see if he has a pro day out at UBC if any NFL teams are interested and if he can catch on as an UDFA down there.

Comment

Originally posted by Hambone View Post

Yeah but you always think there are 25 or more CIS OL worthy of 1st round selection.
                      Really then - got any quotes/evidence of that ? ;o)

But yeah, i do believe there is often some very good & under-rated talent to be had each CFL draft; and even in the oft heavily looked at O-line position group: let's see - evidence of some recent proven starters there: Shane Bergman (6th round), Brad Erdos (4th round); Chris Van Zeyl (3rd round), Mike Filer (5th round); Luc Brodeur-Jourdain (6th round). Patrick Neufeld (5th round); Cody Husband.

IF all your basic CFL follower knows of Canadian talent and draft prospects is what they get/hear from an "expert source" like the CFL's top 20 list, then hey, have at er' / whatever/ so thin thinkin'

Comment

O'Connor is an Ottawa area guy; and the RedBlacks have next to zip-o at QB now (unless you think Jonathan Jennings is some sort of saviour there; Dominique Davis looked like a stiff with the Bombers IMO - maybe he puts it together as the starter in Ottawa?). Desjardins to draft O'Connor and give him a real shot? = highly doubtful IMO cause aside from building a strong O-line via the draft, he next likes to look at back-up H-Backs, special teamer projects or long-snappers more with his draft thinking.
                        Last edited by CC Ryder; 03-09-2019, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CC Ryder View Post

O'Connor is an Ottawa area guy; and the RedBlacks have next to zip-o at QB now (unless you think Jonathan Jennings is some sort of saviour there; Dominique Davis looked like a stiff with the Bombers IMO - maybe he puts it together as the starter in Ottawa?). Desjardins to draft O'Connor and give him a real shot? = highly doubtful IMO cause aside from building a strong O-line via the draft, he next likes to look at back-up H-Backs, special teamer projects or long-snappers more with his draft thinking.
                          imo they just had a pretty devastating free agency and unless the guy is willing to look at other positions then I don't see it. Unless the CBA is done by then and QB starts counting in the ratio. Sure, QB might get picked up in the 7th otherwise, but until there is a ratio change, I don't see them looking to grab them in higher rounds, unless they are looking at another position
                          #keepthepromise

Comment

I do not see CFL coaches converting Michael to another position which seems to me what often happens with various degrees of success. One of his major strengths I think is his mechanics. This priovides some consistency and accuracy. I am not certain of all the reasons that it did not work out at Penn State although he was apparently red shirted which may have diiscouragrd him however , there was apparently interest to recruit him according to a Youtube interview from Michigan State, Mississippi State, Nortre Dame and Texas after he spent his last year of high school training at IMG in Florida. A huge advanrage for him with the CFlL is that he has played CIS Football which translates intio familiarity with the important nuances of Canadian Football including schemes ,the tempo of the game, rules and size of field rather than a Canadian whio has played mostly American football throughout high school and college. His US IMG video suggests that he can drop back effectively as well as play the traditional CFL shotgun or spread offence. In addition to passing he is mobile and can both roll out as well as scramble when required. My suggestion here is that this guy is not the typical Canadian QB candidate instead he is rather unique and could be a player who can conpete as a franchise QB regardless of the Ratio rules. IF that change occurs that of course would be a huge bonus.
                            Last edited by Riderfan; 03-10-2019, 06:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Riderfan View Post
                              I do not see CFL coaches converting Michael to another position which seems to me what often happens with various degrees of success. One of his major strengths I think is his mechanics. This priovides some consistency and accuracy. I am not certain of all the reasons that it did not work out at Penn State although he was apparently red shirted which may have diiscouragrd him however , there was apparently interest to recruit him according to a Youtube interview from Michigan State, Mississippi State, Nortre Dame and Texas after he spent his last year of high school training at IMG in Florida. A huge advanrage for him with the CFlL is that he has played CIS Football which translates intio familiarity with the important nuances of Canadian Football including schemes ,the tempo of the game, rules and size of field rather than a Canadian whio has played mostly American football throughout high school and college. His US IMG video suggests that he can drop back effectively as well as play the traditional CFL shotgun or spread offence. In addition to passing he is mobile and can both roll out as well as scramble when required. My suggestion here is that this guy is not the typical Canadian QB candidate instead he is rather unique and could be a player who can conpete as a franchise QB regardless of the Ratio rules. IF that change occurs that of course would be a huge bonus.
                              Then there is the real possibility of NFL interest.

Comment

I get there is always the rule or general logic and then there is the exception. Being able to sort out these dilemmas and recognise opportunities among the challenges may translate into the difference between winning and losing. In the end though there are often so many moving parts that an educated guess is perhaps the best one can hope for in any Draft. Having the maximum picks can assist the process or not. The CFL Draft is challenging because if you pick the best they may never play here and remain in the NFL. If you do not gamble a team can sometimes miss out on a franchise player. I think we can all agree that sometimes pure luck or chance trumps sound analysis in some circumstances in any complex endeavor. That perhaps explains how the benefit of hindsight and not having ones a$$ on the line makes for genius or at least perception of that. A missing part of a typical fan is that we do not have access to a vital part of any draft selection process which the character, motivation and personality of the candidate. Also these factors need not be fixed in a dynamic reality.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X