Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019 Mock Draft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 2019 Mock Draft

    It's very early for this but always fun to read and get a take on some available players for the 2019 CFL Draft.

    Round One
    1. Toronto Argonauts - OL Kyle Saxelid, UNLV
    2. Hamilton Tiger-Cats - REC Hergy Mayala, UConn
    3. Edmonton Eskimos - DL Mathieu Betts, Laval
    4. Winnipeg Blue Bombers (via B.C. Lions) - OL Drew Desjarlais, Windsor
    5. Winnipeg Blue Bombers - DL Connor Griffiths, UBC
    6. Saskatchewan Roughriders - OL Samuel Thomassin, Laval
    7. Ottawa Redblacks - OL Zach Wilkinson, Northern Colorado
    8. Calgary Stampeders - OL Alex Fontana, Kansas

    Round Two
    9. Toronto Argonauts - REC Justin McInnis, Arkansas State
    10. Hamilton Tiger-Cats (via Montreal Alouettes) - OL Shane Richards, Oklahoma State
    11. Hamilton Tiger-Cats - DB Jamie Harry, Ottawa
    12. Edmonton Eskimos - DB Malcolm Lee, UBC
    13. Montreal Alouettes (via B.C. Lions) - DL Robbie Smith, Laurier
    14. Winnipeg Blue Bombers - RB Brady Oliveira, North Dakota
    15. Saskatchewan Roughriders - DL Jonathan Kongbo, Tennessee
    16. Ottawa Redblacks - REC Alexandre Savard, Laval
    17. Calgary Stampeders - REC Brayden Dickey, New Mexico

    Round 3 and more player info can be found in the attached article.

    https://3downnation.com/2019/03/08/j...ock-draft-1-0/

  • #2
    Are the bc lions not in the league any longer?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Vegas View Post
      Are the bc lions not in the league any longer?
      Not when they trade their top picks away...

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Vegas View Post
        Are the bc lions not in the league any longer?
        They will be rejoining the league in the 3rd round.

        For all intents Julian Laurent was BC's 2019 1st round pick. They swing a deal with Winnipeg on draft day last year. They received Winnipeg's 2018 1st and 2nd for BC's 2019 1st and 2018 2nd. As of today that deal has translated into BC getting Julian Laurent and David Mackie in exchange for Rashaun Simonese and whomever Winnipeg takes in BC's spot this year. BC's 2019 2nd went to Montreal for Sutton and Montreal's 2019 3rd that they acquired from the Riders as part of the deal that sent Tevaughn Campbell to Montreal for Vernon Adams.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Vegas View Post
          Are the bc lions not in the league any longer?
          No. They switched to the NFL now that they have Mike Reilly, Duron Carter, and Ed Hervey.
          Riderfans - Came for the info... stayed for the drama.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Oracle View Post

            No. They switched to the NFL now that they have Mike Reilly, Duron Carter, and Ed Hervey.
            They may open part of the upper deck!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Vegas View Post
              Are the bc lions not in the league any longer?
              No, they are won the FA so they don't get to play in the draft.

              Comment


              • #8
                I agree that we need a top O-lineman, whom ever that will be but I donít agree with our second round pick. I think we have to grab a top rated receiver. I may even switch those two picks depending on the results of the combine and the number of top players at those positions in order to get who we want. It hurts not having a third round pick.
                Last edited by Go Greene & White; 03-09-2019, 11:23 AM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Go Greene & White View Post
                  I agree that we need a top O-lineman, whom ever that will be but I donít agree with our second round pick. I think we have to grab a top rated receiver. I may even switch those two picks depending on the results of the combine and the number of top players at those positions in order to get who we want. It hurts not having a third round pick.
                  Not that rankings mean anything but this year's draft is shaping up to be thin in top OL compared to last year when it was very deep at the top.

                  In 2018 28 players received at least 1 top 20 ranking in the August, December and Final Rankings. 11 of the 28 were OL including 6 of the top 7 and 9 of the top 14 in the final rankings. 7 of those 9 ranked in the top 14 were taken in the first round.

                  This year with the Final Rankings a month away there are only 5 OL amongst the 22 who received a top 20 ranking in August or December. Only 2 of the 5 cracked the top 10 in December; Richards at 2 and Fontana at 5. Simba (11), Thomassin (16) and Wilkinson (17) round out the rest. Skill positions seem to lead the way for 2019 with 4 receivers and 2 running backs ranking in the top 10 back in December. Offensive skill positions take up a full half of the 22 who earned a top 20 rank in August or December; 7 receivers, 3 RBs and 1 QB.

                  It could shape up to be one of those goofy volatile drafts where teams reach down the board early to get an OL because by they fear there won't be a decent one by the time there next pick comes ups while believing that there will still be a good player of a deeper position there next time around. Drafts thin in some areas do tend to unfold in runs. Taking the December rankings and using them purely as an example the early ones like Richards and Fontana may go somewhere close to where they are ranked but a guy like Simba could trigger a run. Teams with OL as a draft priority won't want to wait any longer to get one so Thomassin, Wilkinson and others not even in the rankings could fly off the board in quick order following Simba.

                  2019 might turn out to be similar to 2017. There were only 6 OL in the top 20 Final Rankings and 4 in the top 10 including #1 Justin Senior who had already been drafted by the Seahawks. He slid to the 5th round when Edmonton took a flyer. The way the 2017 draft unfolded slots 1-7 zero OL, slots 8-16 8 OL, slots 17-31 zero OL, slots 32-71 9 OL.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Hambone View Post
                    The way the 2017 draft unfolded slots 1-7 zero OL, slots 8-16 8 OL, slots 17-31 zero OL, slots 32-71 9 OL.
                    That is definitely not the norm in regards to selection of OL in the CFL draft.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I wouldn't put that much stock in the CFL's top 20 rankings to lead me to believe there isn't plenty of talent & depth in the O-line crop this year.

                      That top 20 features a natural TE in Savard - who may draw an NFL look like Auclair did - who would do little in the CFL except maybe play part-time H-back or special teams; a cornerback (Jamie Harry) and also a couple of tailbacks (Irons & Oliviera) who will not likely be viewed as starter material, and a QB (O'Connor) - when do they ever get drafted in the 1st 2 rounds in the CFL ?

                      There are a good number of U Sports all-Canadian or Conference all-star O-linemen with pro plus size up this draft. I bet a number of these guys could easily slide ahead of an RB or DB or QB who might seem like good prospects on paper, but in CFL reality are not that highly regarded.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Tyree View Post

                        That is definitely not the norm in regards to selection of OL in the CFL draft.
                        No it's not but I used it as an example due to the somewhat similar depth of OL 2017 had compared to 2019.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by CC Ryder View Post
                          I wouldn't put that much stock in the CFL's top 20 rankings to lead me to believe there isn't plenty of talent & depth in the O-line crop this year.
                          .
                          Yeah but you always think there are 25 or more CIS OL worthy of 1st round selection.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Took a look to see if our issues at Canadian receiver is due to Jonesís preference for D in the draft but when I looked that wasnít the case. In 3 drafts with Jones in charge the Riders took 9 offensive players, 9 defensive, 1 kicker. I didnít include Francis who was a supplement pick and to complicate even more was a receiver but we converted him. Also 3 of our picks were ďhopeĒ guys with NFL shots,
                            We actually took 6 O linemen so any depth issues there is due to bad scouting / developing. 3 receivers with 1 being Auclair who we werenít going to see for a while so yes that position wasnít made a priority.

                            On D was all about the front 7 which could explain the secondary issue. 4 linemen, 4 LB, and 1 back. This whole exercise is inexact due to Jones moving receivers to D and linemen to the other side too.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by CalgaryRiderFan View Post
                              Took a look to see if our issues at Canadian receiver is due to Jonesís preference for D in the draft but when I looked that wasnít the case. In 3 drafts with Jones in charge the Riders took 9 offensive players, 9 defensive, 1 kicker. I didnít include Francis who was a supplement pick and to complicate even more was a receiver but we converted him. Also 3 of our picks were ďhopeĒ guys with NFL shots,
                              We actually took 6 O linemen so any depth issues there is due to bad scouting / developing. 3 receivers with 1 being Auclair who we werenít going to see for a while so yes that position wasnít made a priority.

                              On D was all about the front 7 which could explain the secondary issue. 4 linemen, 4 LB, and 1 back. This whole exercise is inexact due to Jones moving receivers to D and linemen to the other side too.
                              Brandyn Bartlett was also a supplemental pick was he not?
                              #keepthepromise

                              Onward with escaping the hopeless fantasy of an artificial freedom and darkened picket fences the disillusioned front of friendly foes

                              Comment

                              Announcement

                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

                              Announcement

                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X