Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rider Receiving Corps - 2019

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rider Receiving Corps - 2019

So I was having a debate with a co-worker on what he felt was a "decimated" receiving corps going into 2019... So I pulled some numbers from last season.

it looks like we have retained 4 of 5 of our top 5 from last season, with the additional possibility of JWL returning to us this season if the NFL doesn't work out.

I pointed out the sky isn't falling, while it isn't the best Group in the CFL, a lot of these guys are returning for year 2 in the system, and with Collaros back as well, we should be A LOT more consistent on O then last season. I honestly think Evans will have a breakout year, the guy was always getting open as is evident by his 90 attempts and with another TC and season under his belt his Rec % should improve. Kyran Moore will likely play a full season at Rec, Areceneaux should add a solid option for Collaros as well, and having LAvoie for the full season, if we are wanting to use him, will be a helpful boost to the Offence as well.

I am excited to see what this group can do in year 2....

Did we add any other impact receivers I am missing that should help make an impact as well?

Edit: I forgot KD Cannon... The kid played 2 games and had:
    NAME: CANNON, KD
    GP: 2
    REC 5
    ATT 6
    YARDS 71
    YAC 30
    AVG 14.2
    LG 17
    TD 0
    30 0
    2018 Rec with returning players
    Last edited by Itzgodzilla; 03-08-2019, 03:23 PM.

isn't Manny expected to be out for the first half (ish) of the season. But I agree, guys in the second year should see an improvement

Comment

Riders like the new WR they just signed, Kyle Davis. Keep an eye on him.

Where I see a deficiency is at CDN WR. Not enough depth imo.

Comment

It all depends on what one wants to hear or read. Myself, I am pretty confident Paul Jones can find receivers and has already with that kid from Auburn.

Plus I think the Riders will sign another veteran before TC.
        Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

Comment

Originally posted by mh88 View Post
          isn't Manny expected to be out for the first half (ish) of the season. But I agree, guys in the second year should see an improvement
          Manny has been posting some of his workout videos from the offseason on his Social media, and for 5 months post op, the guy is looking good, especially with a couple months until the start of the season, he could be ready to go much sooner.

He dismissed the "won't be ready until LDC" on the Sprotscage saying "That didn't come from me"

Comment

Originally posted by Itzgodzilla View Post

Manny has been posting some of his workout videos from the offseason on his Social media, and for 5 months post op, the guy is looking good, especially with a couple months until the start of the season, he could be ready to go much sooner.

He dismissed the "won't be ready until LDC" on the Sprotscage saying "That didn't come from me"
            These guys rehabbing always look great..............running straight ahead.

It's the cutting and change of direction that's the problem. I'm expecting Manny to be out for almost half the year. He'll be a valuable addition in the locker room for leadership but also when he's healthy in the 2nd half of the season. A huge target who uses his body well to shield DB's off.

Comment

They can't be worse than last year, so that's good. As long as Naaman and Manny are healthy, we are fine. Shaq is a very good #3, but as of now, I wouldn't trust him more than that. Big play ability, but needs to find consistency in his game and his hands. I like Moore, Cannon looked good in very limited time. Agree with RS that Canadian receiver is the issue. But this team is shaped the same way as last season. We won't see much different IMO. It's a run first, control the clock team.

Comment

Originally posted by RealAlexD View Post
                They can't be worse than last year, so that's good. As long as Naaman and Manny are healthy, we are fine. Shaq is a very good #3, but as of now, I wouldn't trust him more than that. Big play ability, but needs to find consistency in his game and his hands. I like Moore, Cannon looked good in very limited time. Agree with RS that Canadian receiver is the issue. But this team is shaped the same way as last season. We won't see much different IMO. It's a run first, control the clock team.
                This team needs more depth at CDN WR, CDN O-line, and another good CDN safety behind Edem would be nice. Not sold on Radford being the guy. This team has issues and some holes........just like every other CFL team. Roster sizes are small. I can find holes in every CFL roster. It's not that hard.

Comment

Ball control is very useful, but only in certain situations. It can't be your regular offense all year long if you want to be successful

Comment

Originally posted by El Guapo View Post
                    Ball control is very useful, but only in certain situations. It can't be your regular offense all year long if you want to be successful
                    Exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by El Guapo View Post
                      Totally agree. Just don't be surprised when that's all we do in 2019 lol. Not much will change IMO

Comment

Originally posted by Rider_Stronson View Post

This team needs more depth at CDN WR, CDN O-line, and another good CDN safety behind Edem would be nice. Not sold on Radford being the guy. This team has issues and some holes........just like every other CFL team. Roster sizes are small. I can find holes in every CFL roster. It's not that hard.
                        CDN O-Line we need to find the next young guys. Clark, Blue and Blake are all up there, with no St. John all we really have is Bladek who is coming off that injury. We need some hits in the draft in the worst way

Comment

Originally posted by RealAlexD View Post

CDN O-Line we need to find the next young guys. Clark, Blue and Blake are all up there, with no St. John all we really have is Bladek who is coming off that injury. We need some hits in the draft in the worst way
                          Maybe they're counting on Dakoda Shepley...........but until he's signed, sealed and delivered, I maintain I see problems at CDN OL with depth. Especially as you point out, the starters are all older..........although let's be honest, Blake is low mileage, thank God. But until Shepley is delivered, this is a clear deficiency. I don't care what anyone says. Not enough depth for my liking. JO must focus on the O-line every single year and deliver at this position. It's a must.

Comment

The reciever group will benefit from Evans, Moore and Cannon all having another year of experience. The offence as a whole will benefit from the five first year starters who began last year either being changed or having another year of experience. If Roosevelt and Arceneaux can both contribute and Powell maintains his Ottawa form the offence should be fine.

The National WR spot does need some attention, but with that spot not seeing a lot of targets Devon Bailey and Josh Stanford are both FAs who can occupy a roster spot.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigsexydawg View Post
                              It all depends on what one wants to hear or read. Myself, I am pretty confident Paul Jones can find receivers and has already with that kid from Auburn.

Plus I think the Riders will sign another veteran before TC.
                              But #7 isn't available....

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X