Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rumour: NFL preseason game for Mosaic a possibility?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bingo_Arms View Post

Lol. Seems a little angry. Or you could just not go to the game?
    This is all about the NFL trying to grow their brand in Canada...at the expense of what other football league? Playing an NFL exhibition game in August, in the middle of the CFL season, in the strongest football market in the league, so they can sell more NFL t-shirts and miniature Packer helmets...instead of Rider merchandise? There is only so much money to go around.

Even when they announced the Bills in Toronto series, Commissioner Goodell claimed the NFL didn't want to do anything to harm the CFL and they'd only schedule Bills games in Toronto after the CFL season was over. Empty promises. The reality was they scheduled the first BiT pre-season game three days before an Argos regular season game, which was tremendously over-shadowed by the NFL game by the Canadian media. The Argos were pushed to the back-pages. The Argos even had to give up their dressing room to the Bills and had to hold practice in the Skydome parking lot so they would mess up the NFL field. Great public relations for the NFL, not so much for the CFL's image in Toronto.

Now they want to do the same thing in Regina? Just one more nail in the CFL's coffin, a league which struggles to maintain credibility in our own country. Am I angry. Yes, the CFL is worth protecting and preserving. It's either them or us. The more in-roads the NFL makes into Canada means one more step in the inevitable demise of Canadian football. And no, I wouldn't go to the game but I'd probably watch it on CTV.

Comment

Originally posted by BCRiderfan View Post

Because itís a football hotbed.
      I don't think giant tiger hands out Costco coupons to get more customers in the door

Comment

Originally posted by CFLFAN1 View Post

This is all about the NFL trying to grow their brand in Canada...at the expense of what other football league? Playing an NFL exhibition game in August, in the middle of the CFL season, in the strongest football market in the league, so they can sell more NFL t-shirts and miniature Packer helmets...instead of Rider merchandise? There is only so much money to go around.

Even when they announced the Bills in Toronto series, Commissioner Goodell claimed the NFL didn't want to do anything to harm the CFL and they'd only schedule Bills games in Toronto after the CFL season was over. Empty promises. The reality was they scheduled the first BiT pre-season game three days before an Argos regular season game, which was tremendously over-shadowed by the NFL game by the Canadian media. The Argos were pushed to the back-pages. The Argos even had to give up their dressing room to the Bills and had to hold practice in the Skydome parking lot so they would mess up the NFL field. Great public relations for the NFL, not so much for the CFL's image in Toronto.

Now they want to do the same thing in Regina? Just one more nail in the CFL's coffin, a league which struggles to maintain credibility in our own country. Am I angry. Yes, the CFL is worth protecting and preserving. It's either them or us. The more in-roads the NFL makes into Canada means one more step in the inevitable demise of Canadian football. And no, I wouldn't go to the game but I'd probably watch it on CTV.
        Nice rant.

Or you could just take it for what it is, a one-off novelty for some entertainment for a market identified as good football fans. The small-minded paranoia of some posters is predictable and amusing.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigsexydawg View Post

I am not seeing why the Riders need to worry. What's the downfall other than the casual fan who is also a NFL elitist just has another excuse not to go to a Rider/CFL game.
          I hear ya, And really you are right the Riders don't really need to worry. I just don't like the idea of it and this becoming some sort of regular thing. There are too many fragile/indifferent fan bases in other cities in the CFL. I am more concerned about that and the effect the big shiny NFL machine will have on them. It doesn't matter how great the Rider fanbase is if the Riders don't have any other teams to go play.

I don't know, maybe I am just grumpy because it is Monday but that is how I see it.

Comment

Since the Riders play here on August 24, it would have to be one of the first two exhibition games for the teams since it will be a LOT of work to get the field ready for an NFL sized field and to convert it back to a CFL field. A lot of the yardlines will need to be painted to meet NFL guidelines. It's too bad that the turf didn't have any sewn in yard lines and they would paint them for each game. It would have solved that problem. Putting in different goalposts shouldn't be a huge issue at all.

Logistically, it is a lot of work, but could definitely get done.

Comment

Originally posted by steve04 View Post

It likely would have nothing to do with the Riders though. It would be the City of Regina looking to get some return on investment from the stadium. It benefits the city to have independent events outside of the Riders occur in that stadium. Just because it is a football game, does not mean it will be put on by the CFL or Riders. In fact it most likely means it will not be put on by them.
              I get that the city owns the stadium but do wonder about the economics of bringing 2 NFL teams into Canada and playing a game in a 33,000 seat stadium ? what would ticket prices have to be to turn a profit or do the teams travel to YQR on their own dime ?

Comment

I see a 3 week stretch between the Aug 1st game and the Aug 24th home game that falls right in line with the start of NFL preseason too....

Comment

If we are worried about competing with the Riders for the entertainment dollar, based on NHL popularity, I would say the regular season NHL game is as big if not bigger threat than a pre-season NFL game.

Comment

I agree that it's a novelty. Truth is NFL pre-season games are terrible. Rather than hurt the RIders there's a chance an average football fan could attend and come to the realisation they should go to more Rider games.

Comment

Could keep any cuts behind for a look. Save us on plane tickets.

Comment

Originally posted by Riderfaninbc View Post
                        Could keep any cuts behind for a look. Save us on plane tickets.
                        Ha. I guess that's a positive.

Comment

Originally posted by CFLFAN1 View Post

I agree that the CFL is worth preserving but at the same time, they arenít the CBC. They need to stand on their own two feet. If the NFL wants to take a run at them as youíre suggesting let them. If the CFL truly is a great product it should be able to stand on its own. I LOVE both the NFL and CFL and will continue to spend money on both leagues.

Comment

Originally posted by CalgaryRiderFan View Post
                            I agree that it's a novelty. Truth is NFL pre-season games are terrible. Rather than hurt the RIders there's a chance an average football fan could attend and come to the realisation they should go to more Rider games.
                            And the NFL onlys may think, jeez, I should come out to Mosaic more often. Some people may just need that NFL validation to turn them on the CFL football

Comment

Originally posted by BCRiderfan View Post

And the NFL onlys may think, jeez, I should come out to Mosaic more often. Some people may just need that NFL validation to turn them on the CFL football
                              For sure. If it gets a non CFL fan out to the stadium and they realize what a great facility it is.... maybe they come back and ďtryĒ some Rider football?

The fear and paranoia in this thread is border line comical. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by CalgaryRiderFan View Post

They don't care if the teams meet in the regular season too or not. It's about proximity and keeping travel costs down for the most part. Seahawks play the Raiders in pre-season every year. That didn't change the 2 years they played in the regular season too.
                                You could be right on that. I based my comment on only going back 5 years on the Packers exhibition schedule and found no instances of the doubling up. I've since gone back 12 years and see what you mean on travel costs as a consideration. GB frequently cycles through the same teams over and over again the bulk of which are either in the Rust Belt, Midwest or against West Coast teams. They've played the Chiefs 7 times in ex-play in the past 12 years followed by Browns and Titans 5 times each. Cards, Rams, Seahawks, Steelers & Raiders have played them 3 times in 12 years. That's 9 opponents covering 32 of 48 exhibition games over 12 years. I had to go back to 2011 to find the last time they played the same team (KC) in both exhibition and regular season. It happened in 2009 with 2 teams; Cleveland and Arizona. It stands to reason if a team plays 2/3 of their exhibition games against less than 1/3 of possible teams then the regular season rotation which is set years in advance will make for some doubling up every now and then.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X