Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Riders signed WR Emmanuel Arceneaux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tyree View Post

Um, Shaq Evans will be 28 before TC.
    What's your point? He kicked around some practice rosters. Last year was his first season of meaningful playing time. It's not like hes used up and on the downslide.
    Last edited by Scuba Steve; 02-15-2019, 08:49 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by lester View Post

I thought he was talking about playing with the injury and that is why they held off on doing the surgery right away.

https://theprovince.com/sports/footb...-his-final-act
      I'd been thinking that wherever he signed he'd miss training camp
      but I'd forgotten he was determined to return before the season by deferring surgery until it became obvious he wouldn't get back in the lineup. Some recent players of note who returned from ACL injuries after the season began include Zach Collaros (11 months from injury to activation). Chris Williams (10 months) and Travis Lulay (10 months). When I read the 3down article indicating mid-season return for Manny I thought nah he'll be back by early July but given he put the surgery off for 5 weeks mid-August is probably a reasonable timeline.

Manny is an outstanding leader in the room. He's also great in the community working tirelessly on the many community programs the Lions run. Not sure if the Riders would get any immediate benefit on the latter. Given he lives year round in Vancouver he probably won't spend much time in Regina until he's close to getting clearance to practice. Biggest question is how effective will he be once he returns. Players often struggle when they return mid-season from an ACL. They seem to do much better if they can get a full training camp in first. BC signed Williams knowing he wouldn't be healthy until mid season. He was not even close to the receiver who had 1246 yards in 14 games prior to the injury and did nothing last year to indicate he was back to his old self. Williams is 1 day younger than Manny. Manny's notoriously high work ethic in the gym though will no doubt help. If anybody can come back close to form in mid-season it would be Manny.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bingo_Arms View Post

Iím actually worried about the guy! I made a few jokes about him being stuck under the crumbled guard tower thatís been left in ruins ever since lil Jo wise bolted to Cleveland. I am really surprised heís not around and hope heís ok!
        According to the member list he last "visited" on January 23rd. Maybe he's laying on a beach in Mexico with Tillman sipping on pink drinks with little umbrellas in them? ET isn't doing much these days either.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vegas View Post
          2018 team passing yardage

riders 4000
          lions 4200

thats 1000 -1500 yards less than ottawa, hamilton, calgary and edmonton

Was manny slowing down, or did he suffer from crappy qbís and a subpar o line?
          I'm not sure.

Manny's personal stats show that he was on almost exactly the same pace in 2018 as in 2017 (projected to ~1100 yds over a full 18 based on 9 games played in 2018 vs 1137 actual yards in 18 games played in 2017). It seems he was perhaps deployed a bit differently along the way to getting those yards: 2018 stats show fewer targets, lower % receptions vs. targets, higher average yardage per reception (17.3 vs 11.4 ypc) for the games he did play.

Bryan Burnham's production, by comparison, went down significantly on a per-game basis from 2017 to 2018 (from 75 receiving yards per game down to 57, mainly due to fewer targets/receptions).

Emmanuel Arcenaux's production, on a per-game basis, did not drop off at all from 2017 to 2018 for the games he played (though he also had fewer targets/receptions).

Arcenaux led the Lions in both receptions and yards at the time of his injury.

Both 2017 and 2018 were 'down' relative to Arcenaux's 2016 performance - but 2016 was a 1566-yard, 13-TD season for him (before Jennings took a slide...).

We'll see how things play out with the injury recovery scenario, but dude clearly has some good tools/attributes at his disposal.

I've been going to Rider games at BC Place annually for a number of years (I live in Vancouver), and I feel like this guy could have an impact in green and white based on what I have seen.

Comment

• Originally posted by RAJ47 View Post

I am good with this signing.

We needed some veteran presence. ZC will be happy. Rosie and Manny plus all of our young ones.......not bad.

Biggest issue is health and what $$ he signed for.
            Zach throwing to Rosie and Manny. The training staff shouldn't be bored.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vegas View Post
              2018 team passing yardage

riders 4000
              lions 4200

thats 1000 -1500 yards less than ottawa, hamilton, calgary and edmonton

Was manny slowing down, or did he suffer from crappy qbís and a subpar o line?
              Maybe McAdoo rubbed off on Jackson? Jarious seemed push an offense where the QBs were expected to get rid of the ball quick to receivers on shorter routes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hambone View Post

Zach throwing to Rosie and Manny. The training staff shouldn't be bored.
                Maybe. Guys like Rob Bagg and Matt Nicols rebounded after significant injuries. Itís possible.

Comment

• Originally posted by CalgaryRiderFan View Post

lol. #Oday's fault
                  OhDey is no goode

Comment

• Originally posted by Scuba Steve View Post
                    What's your point? He kicked around some practice rosters. Last year was his first season of meaningful playing time. It's not like hes used up and on the downslide.
                    At 28, he doesn't have a lot of time to prove himself, unlike Moore and Cannon, who are both 23. He needs to pick up where he left off last season and continue to progress, and I hope he does. I do like what he can do. Who would you keep as a developing receiver, the 28 year old or the 23 year old?

Comment

• Originally posted by Fullhouse View Post

Maybe. Guys like Rob Bagg and Matt Nicols rebounded after significant injuries. Itís possible.
                      Going back to my earlier post about players returning in mid-season I think in both Bagg and Nichols benefited from returning in time to participate in full training camps. Bagg was always there to open the season following his knee surgeries. Nichols tore his ACL in the first exhibition game in 2013 but was back for start of training camp. Unfortunately by that time Reilly had a stranglehold on the starting job. His knee injury in the middle of camp last year kept him sidelined for the first 4 games but it didn't require surgery.

I guess I'm a firm believer in how important training camps are be it for players returning from injury or those holding out regardless of sport. It's maybe even more important in this era where practices between games are few and contact is not allowed. It's a lot tougher to get into "game shape" than it ever was before.

Comment

• This is somewhat of risk but still a savvy signing. If Manny has anything left in the tank when he returns, I think he still has a couple more seasons, awesome. If not keep him on the IR. This is one of the benefits of having cash flow. No cap hit if he sits on the IR. If heís healthy? Win.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tyree View Post

Um, Shaq Evans will be 28 before TC.
                          Whatís wrong with being 28? 28 isnít old , 28 is young

Comment

• Not sure why many are writing this off as a 'veteran signing' as if this is akin to Geroy Simon in 2013.

Manny is still an elite receiver, he'll be the best on the team this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Unityriderguy View Post

Whatís wrong with being 28? 28 isnít old , 28 is young
                              The amount of wear and tear is a bigger deal than age. At 28 he still seems to have a lot left.

Comment

• Originally posted by mfranc View Post

The amount of wear and tear is a bigger deal than age. At 28 he still seems to have a lot left.
                                Evans will be alright.
                                Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X