Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sam Hurl signs one year extension

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grainshoveler View Post
    Lucky for him he has right passport.
    As is the case for many Canadian players though.
    Riderfans - Came for the info... stayed for the drama.

Comment

Originally posted by RAJ47 View Post

ST'er and Depth.

I liked the play of Judge. I guess we will see if Shivers keeps Judge in middle or moves him to Wil. Will be much clearer in the next while.
      I agree with your first comment. Special teamer and depth. The reality though is that if Hurl is playing a lot of snaps at the MLB position we've failed. If he's running down the field covering kicks, fine. That's also why I said I hoped O'Day didn't have to pay him too much and referred to him as a plumber. Kinda like a fourth liner in the NHL that you need 8 minutes of per game. There's a need for those roster bodies, you just hope you don't have to pay them too much - even though this league traditionally overpays depth Canadians due to a lack of Canadian talent.

As for the second comment, Judge is a big "meh" for me. To use a RF.com term to describe him, I'd say serviceable. There's no question we can do better at MLB than either Judge or Hurl. IMO we were fortunate to have such great talent in other areas that it mitigating the marginal talent they brought to the field.

Comment

Originally posted by Bingo_Arms View Post

I agree with your first comment. Special teamer and depth. The reality though is that if Hurl is playing a lot of snaps at the MLB position we've failed. If he's running down the field covering kicks, fine. That's also why I said I hoped O'Day didn't have to pay him too much and referred to him as a plumber. Kinda like a fourth liner in the NHL that you need 8 minutes of per game. There's a need for those roster bodies, you just hope you don't have to pay them too much - even though this league traditionally overpays depth Canadians due to a lack of Canadian talent.

As for the second comment, Judge is a big "meh" for me. To use a RF.com term to describe him, I'd say serviceable. There's no question we can do better at MLB than either Judge or Hurl. IMO we were fortunate to have such great talent in other areas that it mitigating the marginal talent they brought to the field.
        That's a pretty harsh indictment on Judge. The guy has basically played one season on a part-time basis...but got more time as the season progressed. Way too early to be making those statements IMO.
        Waiting for the big ole splash...actually there was no big splash, just a peaceful ripple. Dammit, there was supposed to be a big ole splash!!

Comment

Someone **** in your cornflakes this morning.

I'll take Hurl and a one year contract extension over Henoc "Merc" Muamba and his $225k pay check any day.

Comment

Originally posted by Colonel Klink View Post

The Riders also had Willie Jefferson, Charleston Hughes Sammy E, Nick Marshall Tobi Antigha and other playmakers on D. So we didn't have a "name" MLB? In the big picture our D was pretty good
            My thoughts exactly. So hurls not the best....thw rest of the d made up for it

Comment

Originally posted by Rider_Stronson View Post

I'm betting Judge will start. He's better.
              IMO he really started to fall off in the 2nd half of the season and I thought Sam was better .I am looking forward to see how he has grown .
              Last edited by greenale; 02-11-2019, 01:32 PM.

Comment

I am not as down on Judge as you are. I thought he played quite well ...this was his first year. He was making plays and of course some mistakes. Assuming that he will better in his 2nd year. Athletic enough to play MLB or Wil.....see where Shivers puts him. He was GOOD.

Hurl is Hurl. Glad that he didnt get many reps at LB last season.

Comment

many have a thing about Hurl. I think he is a competent player that is useful in certain roles. Clearly Jones saw value in Sam. The new HC and DC must see the value him as well. If they are signing poor players to extensions we have then made some bad coaching choices.

Comment

At a special team salary i would be ok with it, he is not starter material. Hopefully there is a stud MLB in the draft that we can select to push him.

Comment

Anyone hear what kind of $$$ were spent?

Comment

Lucky for him he has right passport.
                        Lucky for us he was statistically one of the better MLB last season. He fit the D well.
                        #keepthepromise

Everybody knows you never go full Gary.

Comment

Originally posted by ranmyl View Post
                          At a special team salary i would be ok with it, he is not starter material. Hopefully there is a stud MLB in the draft that we can select to push him.
                          like the ones picked up the last 2 drafts, one of which is ready to start?
                          #keepthepromise

Comment

Originally posted by Beacon.x View Post

Lucky for us he was statistically one of the better MLB last season. He fit the D well.
                            I sort if liked Judge but don't have any stats. I do remember the 1rst year Hurl ever played here he seemed too be the first guy down field on kick coverage.

Comment

I sort if liked Judge but don't have any stats. I do remember the 1rst year Hurl ever played here he seemed too be the first guy down field on kick coverage.
                              he is a great STer, and I believe led the league with lowest missed tackle rate in the box. I wasn't pumped about him coming in, but he did very well. I am concerned with fewer QA guys and positional coaches if there will be as many success stories as that moving forward.
                              #keepthepromise

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X