Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reilly to B.C

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rock Preston #1 View Post

You gotta think that Masoli will be looking for a massive increase when his contract runs out. Basically this just sets the bar ridiculously high for starting qbs in the league going forward. I don't really think on a team sport that the quarterback should be making oodles of more money than any of his teammates. I understand they should make more, but this is ridiculous in the CFL what is happening.
    It reminds one of the 1990's when teams were paying obscene amounts of money to guys like Doug Flutie, David Archer , Damon Allen, etc and the league was teetering on collapse

Comment

• Originally posted by Bingo_Arms View Post

I doubt Huff has to match Torontoís $750k offer. He probably needs to get Bo to $700k though and match the Reilly deal.
      I dont' see Bo going, unless it's for a substantial increase in pay and I don't think $ 50k is enough to do that.

I'm with others that the QB salary is really going to start to skew team's ability to field a competitive team. Although, I think it's "easier" to find receivers, so I could see the smart teams spending more money on their O line to ensure they are protecting their QB. And that is going to mean that any receiver making good money is going to be released/traded. But as a GM, faced with salary cap decisions, that's what I'd lean toward.

Will be real interesting to now see how the rest of this plays out. If Bo stays in the CFL, I don't see him leaving CGY - short of a team making a roster-crippling offer to him.

If so, then it's a race to see who gets Harris... and then the rest.

Comment

• One thing I am confused on with Reilly to BC - how is this not tampering on the part of the Lions? Iíve read nothing to suggest Edmonton has traded any rights to the Lions yet this all sounds like a done deal. Over the years we always see deals signed a couple minutes after free agency opens so we all know that some background discussion must have happened but the leakage on this makes it a bit too obvious. Or am I missing something here?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kilaeua Rider View Post
          One thing I am confused on with Reilly to BC - how is this not tampering on the part of the Lions? Iíve read nothing to suggest Edmonton has traded any rights to the Lions yet this all sounds like a done deal. Over the years we always see deals signed a couple minutes after free agency opens so we all know that some background discussion must have happened but the leakage on this makes it a bit too obvious. Or am I missing something here?
          Edmonton allowed them to talk.

Comment

• Originally posted by RDavidson View Post

Edmonton allowed them to talk.
            Ahhhh...I missed that - Thanks!

As a courtesy or did they get something for it? Otherwise not sure why they would.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kilaeua Rider View Post

Ahhhh...I missed that - Thanks!

As a courtesy or did they get something for it? Otherwise not sure why they would.
              Rumour is that they allowed Edmonton to talk to Jennings. I don't know if that is true. Probably is, but Jennings is likely going to test the waters as all QBs are getting bank today.

Comment

• With an apples to apricots comparison-

has Tom Brady ever been the highest paid QB in the league - I know in 2018 he was like 12th highest, and in the 2019 super bowl the Rams De had a higher salary,

I remember Forbes doing a retrospective piece calculating he'd lost out on between 60 to 70 million or more over his career had he been matching the then highest paid QB

just saying that teams need to find that balance of player contracts and be lucky enough to have players who agree to play along

also didn't hurt to have a QB who can take a discount, as he isn't even the highest paid in his marriage

Comment

• Originally posted by VoR View Post
                  With an apples to apricots comparison-

has Tom Brady ever been the highest paid QB in the league - I know in 2018 he was like 12th highest, and in the 2019 super bowl the Rams De had a higher salary,

I remember Forbes doing a retrospective piece calculating he'd lost out on between 60 to 70 million or more over his career had he been matching the then highest paid QB

just saying that teams need to find that balance of player contracts and be lucky enough to have players who agree to play along

also didn't hurt to have a QB who can take a discount, as he isn't even the highest paid in his marriage
                  That, and I wouldnt be surprised if Robert Kraft hands over a massive chunk of cash as a retirement present - or and 8 figure salary for a few years of no-show work on the Patriots staff.

Comment

• Originally posted by Green in Queen City View Post

It reminds one of the 1990's when teams were paying obscene amounts of money to guys like Doug Flutie, David Archer , Damon Allen, etc and the league was teetering on collapse
                    Considering the low attendance in Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver this does not look good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Green_and_White View Post

That, and I wouldnt be surprised if Robert Kraft hands over a massive chunk of cash as a retirement present - or and 8 figure salary for a few years of no-show work on the Patriots staff.
                      For some reason I am thinking of the CFL equivalent, Milt Stegall gets a new minivan.....

Comment

• $2.9M over 4 years is the maximum value of the contract including achieving all incentives each season...about $75K per season. Reilly's contract likely includes starting bonuses...say $120k. That would put Reilly's base salary and bonuses @ $525k per season. If he starts all 18 games, he'd make about $650k.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bignorm View Post

For some reason I am thinking of the CFL equivalent, Milt Stegall gets a new minivan.....
                          haha except in the CFL its more likely to be this than a NEW minivan

Click image for larger version

Name:	13941998923_131b457d9d_c.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	404567

Comment

• Originally posted by Green_and_White View Post

haha except in the CFL its more likely to be this than a NEW minivan

Click image for larger version  Name:	13941998923_131b457d9d_c.jpg Views:	1 Size:	133.7 KB ID:	404567
                            Love that faux-wood paneling. Very 1972.

Comment

• Can we change the title. Its not a rumour if BC has confirmed it.

Comment

• Originally posted by go riders View Post

Love that faux-wood paneling. Very 1972.
                                When you got in a fender bender in one of those, you had to take it to a carpenter.
                                ---

Author of Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (the inside story of the 1983 Toronto Argonauts). Next up, a book about the 1991 Argos (working subtitle The year the CFL Went Hollywood). To be published . . . whenever it is done.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X