Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reilly to B.C

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rider_Stronson View Post

They are getting Chung, the Lions. It's going to happen.
    So then, Hunter Steward and Husband won't be re-signed ?

Comment

• Originally posted by CC Ryder View Post

So then, Hunter Steward and Husband won't be re-signed ?
      Steward was announced earlier today. One year extension. No idea about Husband. His wife may complain though.

Comment

• Reilly -$700K, Burnham -$200K, Chung ~$200K. Probably saying goodbye to Arceneaux and Solly. Will be curious to see how Ed makes this all fit .

Now with TO rumored to be making a huge offer to BO......Will Huf match?

Comment

• There has to be a tipping point at which paying a QB too much money translates into a weaker team overall.

If not, then QB salaries will keep going up, it seems

I think 700k is just too much & a mistake that would weaken a team

Comment

• Originally posted by El Guapo View Post
            There has to be a tipping point at which paying a QB too much money translates into a weaker team overall.

Yep.....that’s how it feels to me too. When you add in another $200K for backups you are looking at $900K tied up in one position. That’s a pretty big burden.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mack David View Post

They’ll be in for $1.1 mil on a QB, right guard and #2 receiver. Not to mention what it will cost to fix the rest of their O-line. I see some early season releases coming up in BC.
              I think most of BC's bleeding will come in the form of pending FAs not offered new deals as opposed to releases. Elimimian is the one player under contract who could be released but not without efforts to trade him first. With Calgary and Edmonton losing their MLBs I think there is good potential to get something back in a trade. If they think SolE is a target to fill the holes they might make an offer as opposed to waiting for him to be released and see the other guy get him. If they can move him and sign Awe they likely achieve savings of at least $100K.

Bigger dollar pending FAs or veteran FAs I expect will not be back include Manny Arceneaux, Chris Rainey, Jovon Olafioye, Cody Husband, Jonathon Jennings (obviously), Jeremiah Johnson, Tyrell Sutton, Brandon Rutley, Rickey Collins, Chris Greaves and Cory Watson. I think some of the veterans in the secondary also will not be back, Most of those names are guys I had already put on my personal list of unlikely to return long before it looked like the Lions could get Reilly or at what cost. Now there may be some of these guys who do return but not until they've spent time testing the markets to find out better opportunities or salaries aren't out there for them.

Hervey is a believer that the key to success lies in the trenches. I won't be surprised to see him go after Chungh for the OL and Micah Johnson, Ja'Gared Davis or Willie Jefferson for the DL. Having said that they do have 4 young OL, 3 of whom were rookies last year and acquitted themselves well. 3rd overall pick Peter Godber dressed for 9 games starting 3 at centre after Husband broke his leg before he too was lost for the season with an injury. Undrafted rookie NAT Andrew Peirson then came off the PR to start the final 5 games at centre. He also did well. The 3rd rookie who did well was 6'8" David Knevel who was rated #5 in the final pre-draft rankings but fell to BC at #21 due to fears he'd go to the NFL. He played 16 games rotating in at guard and tackle and didn't look out of place. He played RT at Nebraska so could be looked upon as a possible replacement for Olafioye. BC still also has Charles Vaillancourt under contract. He missed all last season after needing corrective surgery on his wrist after an offseason surgery failed to work. I don't know if he's still in BC's plans or not. In 2017 he played some guard getting 3 starts while also being groomed as Husband's backup. So while they could be very interested in Chungh I don't think they are in bad shape if they don't get him what with the youngsters as well as last year's starters Figueroa, Steward and Foucault all under contract. They could easily save $150K+ if Husband and Olafioye are replaced with a couple of the kids. On the DL with starters Willis, Coleman and Louis along with NAT rotational DL Junior Luke, Julian Laurent and David Menard under contract if they don't get the likes of Johnson, Davis or Jefferson or they are too expensive I think they would look to get Shawn Lemon back. I don't know what their relationship is like but Lemon did spend 2 years in Calgary where Claybrooks was his DLC.

The biggest key I think for the Lions will be in recruiting some young INT prospects who are capable of replacing a lot of those older INT starters at running back, returner and in the secondary. BC was not very successful in recruiting young INTs new to the CFL outside of Louis and Lloyd. I don't know if that was simply a case of not doing a good job or if the move to add so many veterans in free agency for Wally's last year left them with few opportunities for newcomers. Regardless getting some new talent on low salaries is going to be very important as it always is in any sport with a cap system when a team chooses to put a lot of money into on or two players.

Comment

• Originally posted by RAJ47 View Post
                Reilly -$700K, Burnham -$200K, Chung ~$200K. Probably saying goodbye to Arceneaux and Solly. Will be curious to see how Ed makes this all fit .

Now with TO rumored to be making a huge offer to BO......Will Huf match?
                I doubt Huff has to match Toronto’s $750k offer. He probably needs to get Bo to $700k though and match the Reilly deal.

Comment

• Originally posted by El Guapo View Post
                  There has to be a tipping point at which paying a QB too much money translates into a weaker team overall.

You gotta think that Masoli will be looking for a massive increase when his contract runs out. Basically this just sets the bar ridiculously high for starting qbs in the league going forward. I don't really think on a team sport that the quarterback should be making oodles of more money than any of his teammates. I understand they should make more, but this is ridiculous in the CFL what is happening.
                  Waiting for the big ole splash...actually there was no big splash, just a peaceful ripple. Dammit, there was supposed to be a big ole splash!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Rock Preston #1 View Post

You gotta think that Masoli will be looking for a massive increase when his contract runs out. Basically this just sets the bar ridiculously high for starting qbs in the league going forward. I don't really think on a team sport that the quarterback should be making oodles of more money than any of his teammates. I understand they should make more, but this is ridiculous in the CFL what is happening.
                    Agreed, yet the league thinks it's a good idea to put a cap on coaches and operations but lets this silliness take place. Personally I think this is really bad for the league in general.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hambone View Post

Not even close. Rocket Ismail's deal was 4 years at $18.2M or $4.55M per season.
                      Well, since the question was "since Flutie" he would be correct.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fizz View Post

Agreed, yet the league thinks it's a good idea to put a cap on coaches and operations but lets this silliness take place. Personally I think this is really bad for the league in general.
                        Without question it is bad.
                        Waiting for the big ole splash...actually there was no big splash, just a peaceful ripple. Dammit, there was supposed to be a big ole splash!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Fizz View Post

Just wondering what the rest of their team will be like. The Esks were 9-9 with Reilly and missed the playoffs and now he is going to be making roughly $200K more which will leave all other players onthe team with little or no increase at all.

seems like teams will have to make some trade offs.

Comment

• A $700k qb doesn't do you much good if he is laying on his back because you can't afford a good o line or if he has no receivers that can catch a ball. Or your defence is a sieve because all you can afford is scrubs. This whole over paying qbs will work itself out.

Comment

• A good qb give a team a chance at winning a cup. A team without a good qb has basically no chance at winning a cup . Man that sucks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hambone View Post

Not even close. Rocket Ismail's deal was 4 years at $18.2M or $4.55M per season.
                                Not even close on your timeline.

​​​​​

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X