Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Riders sign DT Makana Henry

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am always perplexed why some are always happy with less? Why not seek better? It is different if you are mentioning an all star player who dominates within the league. That success speaks for itself. And yes there are always exceptions to everything. We can focus upon those or grasp the rule and why it generally applies, I think.

As far as a 275 defensive lineman being able to cope with 600 lbs of offensive lineman particularly against the double team inside on the run. I wonder about the veracity of that observation? Henry is simply unable to overpower offensive lineman in my view. He relies more upon quickness, relative strength and his lower centre of gravity.

I checked the roster of the Esks and this is their current roster of offensive lineman. I know the Esks have one of the bigger sets of offensive lineman.. I list this to provide some context for the discussion.

Justin Sorenson 6'8" 311; Mason Woods 6'9" 324; Jacob Ruby 6'7" 315; Andrew Petterson 6'6" 300; Colin Kelly 6'5" 298; Tommie Draheim 6'4" 300; Travis Bond 6'7" 356; Matt O'Donnell 6'11' 350;; David Beard 6'5" 327; Curtis Krahn 6'3" 290 and the smallest is Kwabena Asare 6'8" 270 . These then are some of the challenges in playing defensive tackle particularly inside in a three man scheme..

And as some have mentioned there are exceptional relatively smaller tackles such as Sewell 6'4" 288 and some others who have dominated or have been exceptional particularly within 4 man schemes which allow them to play in the gaps where their quickness and agility have allowed them to penetrate into the backfield and disrupt. Playing a two gap system which requires a defensive lineman to hold up one or two blockers and cover both gaps is another story, I think

Comment

Originally posted by Beacon.x View Post

Depends if you are running a 3 or 4 man front. Also depends what your ends are doing. For a Jones D we know a brute wss neefed
      ??? - which CFL teams regularly run a 3 man front with only a nose tackle in the mix ?

Comment

Originally posted by CC Ryder View Post

??? - which CFL teams regularly run a 3 man front with only a nose tackle in the mix ?
        any that run a 3 man front, 1. Depth wise, generally a few, as the Riders had last season. Just so happens not all were Canadian.
        #keepthepromise

Everybody knows you never go full Gary.

Comment

any that run a 3 man front, 1. Depth wise, generally a few, as the Riders had last season. Just so happens not all were Canadian.
          Which team is it that regularly features a 3 man D-line front, and who is the supposed must-have massive DT they use ?

Comment

Originally posted by CC Ryder View Post

Which team is it that regularly features a 3 man D-line front, and who is the supposed must-have massive DT they use ?
            Massive is a relative term is it not?

Ted Laurent would be an example of the type of larger, versatile defensive tackle who could play the three man or any variation which places a tackle over the centre. Teams can play a three man defensive line or with a rush end in the four man line or for example can and do utilise this plus variations or during obvious passing situations.

I think It is all about having the versatility , size and strength inside to allow for different variations, techniques and schemes on defence. He in fact played nose tackle in Mississippi. Ted not only can take on the double team and clog the middle and also he has been able to get sacks and pressure through his bull rush.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Laurent
            Last edited by Riderfan; 02-11-2019, 12:33 PM.

Comment

And yet most CIS players stated that he was the best DL in the league and the player they hated facing the most. The same draft class that had Stefan Charles, so not really.

Reaves has held his own in practices. He looked surprisingly good there. I am not saying he is going to bump CH or anything like that, but on a rotational bases I don't mind seeing him there.
              How many number 1 draft picks have failed, just because a CIS player didn't like playing him doesn't mean it equates to the professional level. Sam Giguere was feared and hyped as well, at one point Hamilton asking for 2 first round picks for his rights.

Not saying Reaves hasn't done good on the teams, but we have tried him at how many positions how much more time do we need to invest in him to get some one that can play more then teams

Comment

Originally posted by mikejth View Post

How many number 1 draft picks have failed, just because a CIS player didn't like playing him doesn't mean it equates to the professional level. Sam Giguere was feared and hyped as well, at one point Hamilton asking for 2 first round picks for his rights.

Not saying Reaves hasn't done good on the teams, but we have tried him at how many positions how much more time do we need to invest in him to get some one that can play more then teams

LB and DE. Both if which he still rotates due to the desire to have DEs play hybrid and actually roll out.
                #keepthepromise

Everybody knows you never go full Gary.

Comment

Originally posted by Riderfan View Post

According to his Rider bio he played in just 10 games and had 2 starts in 2018.
                  Ya. He was hurt. When not he had many snaps. Great extension in my books. Strong dude. Battled injuries all year. Looked very good when healthy. Better than Steele.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X