Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CFL 2.0 growth

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cflgridiron View Post

I think it is less to do with the NFL and more to do with cost of living, other entertainment options, more families living outside of Toronto etc .
    I think it is mostly about the flavour of the day. "Squirrel"!

Comment

Originally posted by R.J View Post

Toronto will always have an uphill battle so long as the NFL is around, but even being assiociated with America isn’t the cure all - take a look at TFC, the Blue Jays, and Raptors when they’re not winning.
      Yup.....Seems the only Toronto team that can pack a house no matter how feeble they are is the Leafs.

Comment

Originally posted by McGreen View Post

Evidently the CFL is just not big enough for Randy.
        He’s been given a mandate to increase revenues. Doing the same thing as the past is not getting that done so he’s trying something else. What’s wrong with trying something different? If he can actually increase revenues, he strengthens the teams.

Comment

I would be okay with that.
          Small time thinking.... to think this league will survive, let alone thrive, for decades to come while doing the same ol' same is to turn a blind eye to how Canadians are changing... the CFL used to do AMAZING when US TV wasn't such a widely accessible thing... I recall going to my buddy's place to watch shows because they have a pirated US dish and we could watch all sorts of better quality shows and sports.

Arguing that the CFL shouldn't expand and should focus on staying Canadian, would be like the internet being censored to only show you local content... eventually people want to see more then just local...

So while the recent rabid fan base and support for the Riders could sustain the team through hardship... that would do us no good if there is no league to play in.....

Comment

Evidently the CFL is just not big enough for Randy.
            how dare he do his job
            #keepthepromise

Onward with escaping the hopeless fantasy of an artificial freedom and darkened picket fences the disillusioned front of friendly foes

Comment

Originally posted by Cflgridiron View Post

I think it is less to do with the NFL and more to do with cost of living, other entertainment options, more families living outside of Toronto etc .
              So then why is it that when the Argos win a Grey Cup, the attendance needle barely moves or even declines, and yet when the Raptors, Blue Jays, and TFC are competitive and/or win a championship (TFC) they fill their venues up ?

And, I'll add that once the "newness" of the Toronto Rock ended, their attendance went downhill and hasn't recovered. The last home championship final game had under 10k.
              Look at the Marlies as well, the playoffs sold well, and they won the Calder Cup, but their attendance is actually down this season.

Perception of these teams/leagues just like the Argos/CFL is the biggest issue. And, it's not just a Toronto problem anymore IMO.

Comment

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/american...ds-nfl-career/

Christian Wade, the former Wasps, England and British and Irish Lions wing, has taken the next step towards a career in the NFLafter being allocated to the Buffalo Bills through the NFL's International Player Pathway Program.

Wade retired from rugby union last year to try his hand at a career in American Football and has been training in Florida since last December with the IMG Academy.

The Bills will get a roster exemption from the NFL for Wade through the International Player Pathway Program, allowing them to carry 91 players on their roster instead of the typical 90-player offseason roster.

Buffalo have designated that Wade will play as a running back, after scoring 82 tries as a wing for Wasps in the Gallagher Premiership.

Wade participated in an NFL Pro Day last week, recording a time of 4.53 seconds in the 40-yard dash which compares favourably to the top time by a running back at this year's NFL Combine for all rookies, Oklahoma's Justice Hill, who ran a 4.4.

Comment

I'd like to see some sort of roster exception for Global players in the young years of our partnerships and CFL 2.0 .. let them develop properly like we do for some of our Nat talent that just needs a little more time to develop.

I'd like to point out in this story, the kid needed to ACTIVELY go after the NFL... Moved to the US to train, and attended a Pro day to even get noticed. There are many, many more just like him around the globe that just don't have the means to do what he did to get noticed... that is where I see the benefit of CFL 2.0 and the Global Initiative.... Where it goes from there is anyone's guess...but I would like to think there is little downside to these initiatives, at least the way the CFL is approaching it.

Comment

Originally posted by Itzgodzilla View Post

I'd like to see some sort of roster exception for Global players in the young years of our partnerships and CFL 2.0 .. let them develop properly like we do for some of our Nat talent that just needs a little more time to develop.

I'd like to point out in this story, the kid needed to ACTIVELY go after the NFL... Moved to the US to train, and attended a Pro day to even get noticed. There are many, many more just like him around the globe that just don't have the means to do what he did to get noticed... that is where I see the benefit of CFL 2.0 and the Global Initiative.... Where it goes from there is anyone's guess...but I would like to think there is little downside to these initiatives, at least the way the CFL is approaching it.
                    Open the PR up to a player or 2 is the easiest thing to do.

Comment

Has anyone seen anything official released on Australia? I know they were looking there, and it was discussed in this thread.

It hadn't hit me before, but serious leg up (pun totally intended) if it happens and there is content mandate, seeing as the Riders already have Bartel. Same sense that Bede is a potential perk now.
                      #keepthepromise

Onward with escaping the hopeless fantasy of an artificial freedom and darkened picket fences the disillusioned front of friendly foes

Comment

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/04/17/oleary...-side-cfl-2-0/

Akeem Foster heading to Finland as a part of CFL 2.0
                        #keepthepromise

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X