Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Montreal releases Stanford

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Montreal releases Stanford

That trade is looking even sweeter now.

I'd take him back, he has potential, and we will be hurting for young Canadians
    The Montreal Alouettes have released Canadian receiver Josh Stanford.

He couldn't crack the lineup when we had zero Canadian receivers.... hard pass. I mean, good for the kid to make the roster as an 8th round pick, but he just doesn't have it.

Comment

Originally posted by RealAlexD View Post
      He couldn't crack the lineup when we had zero Canadian receivers.... hard pass. I mean, good for the kid to make the roster as an 8th round pick, but he just doesn't have it.
      He showed some flashes, but needs to work on going back to the ball, i'd hardly say he was the only weakness at receiver last year.

I'd be willing to bring him back to camp and see what another year would do for him. He might have had a "wake up call" getting traded then cut

Comment

I agree with those who think that this player has some potential as a deep threat. He was able to consistenly run past our defensive backs in practice and catch the deep ball from Brandon Bridge ;however, he does not have the same impact underneath. He is still younger and could still surprise if he is able to bring more consistency to his game. We will see if he gets that opportunity and is able to yet morph into a solid receiver.

Comment

He has a lot of upside as a deep threat, and he improved mountains as a downfield blocker. There are times where he just seems not willing to commit to a play though.

It does appear that Kavis might be attempting to get rid of all nationals though "well, we don't have to play by the ratio if we don't have any Canadians. I'll show them"
          #keepthepromise

Onward with escaping the hopeless fantasy of an artificial freedom and darkened picket fences the disillusioned front of friendly foes

Comment

Originally posted by RiderHard View Post

Maybe the Riders should sign him again and then convince Kavis to trade Pipkin and a pick for him.
            #keepthepromise

Onward with escaping the hopeless fantasy of an artificial freedom and darkened picket fences the disillusioned front of friendly foes

Comment

Originally posted by Beacon.x View Post

Maybe the Riders should sign him again and then convince Kavis to trade Pipkin and a pick for him.
              Stanford and Bridge for Pipkin and our #2 back.

Comment

Originally posted by RiderHard View Post

I remember being told that the Riders basically told the Als they had no room for him, so they might as well take him.

It likely look better for the Als too, to have a Cdn player coming back. Ultimately, apparently he couldn't make their roster either.

BUT you never really know with a player, we've seen numerous examples of a cast-off who finds life on a team. But I don't envision seeing him back, given most of our staff is the same, as when we dealt him.

Comment

Originally posted by ChuckT View Post

I remember being told that the Riders basically told the Als they had no room for him, so they might as well take him.

It likely look better for the Als too, to have a Cdn player coming back. Ultimately, apparently he couldn't make their roster either.

BUT you never really know with a player, we've seen numerous examples of a cast-off who finds life on a team. But I don't envision seeing him back, given most of our staff is the same, as when we dealt him.
                  not necessarily. He may have asked for release. I would generally agree, but this guy can be a bit different.

I won't be shocked if he gets a call for camp, I won't be shocked if he doesn't
                  #keepthepromise

Comment

Originally posted by Itzgodzilla View Post

He showed some flashes, but needs to work on going back to the ball, i'd hardly say he was the only weakness at receiver last year.

I'd be willing to bring him back to camp and see what another year would do for him. He might have had a "wake up call" getting traded then cut
                    When he did catch a pass he didn't seem to be able to gain any after catch yardage. Reminded me of a guy who played for our team 10 years ago. I think his name was Hill.

Comment

Lol pining to bring back Stanford. Yeah no thanks. We should just be happy we got the haul we did for him. Both Blake and Lavoie will be contributors in 2019.

Comment

He was brutal. Soft and couldn't catch. It's sad he was here as long as he was. A big fat no way to bringing him back

Comment

Originally posted by Ripper View Post
                          He was brutal. Soft and couldn't catch. It's sad he was here as long as he was. A big fat no way to bringing him back
                          He was bad inside, he looked soft there and looked uncommitted. When they kept him outside he looked alright. He made one of the best blocks by a Rider outside receiver for the season and had a couple nice catches. There was nothing wrong with his hands playing wide.
                          #keepthepromise

Comment

Originally posted by Beacon.x View Post

He was bad inside, he looked soft there and looked uncommitted. When they kept him outside he looked alright. He made one of the best blocks by a Rider outside receiver for the season and had a couple nice catches. There was nothing wrong with his hands playing wide.
                            Alligator arms any time there may be any contact coming.

Comment

Originally posted by brady View Post

When he did catch a pass he didn't seem to be able to gain any after catch yardage. Reminded me of a guy who played for our team 10 years ago. I think his name was Hill.
                              Even worse than not gaining yards there were times he would lose ground after making the catch and then have to dive or something to get the first down yardage he gave up. His negative plays far outnumbered his positive players (there were 2 really big plays for us that stood out).

One big negative play that stood out for me was the win in Montreal where when the Riders were on the verge of putting it away, that tipped interception by Muamba made it close. When they showed the wide angle replay, Stanford was way to slow breaking inside. You saw Collaros have to double clutch and hold the ball. That delay led to the db closing and causing the deflection.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X