Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Craig Dickenson named new Riders Head Coach

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craig Dickenson named new Riders Head Coach

Starting a brand new thread so that the formatting is not a mess. All the old posts are in the other thread for reading purposes

EDIT: I was trying to post this in the other thread as it was being closed, it made sense in the context of that thread lol.

In regards to Dickenson, I would actually argue that being a STC sets you up for transitioning to HC much better than OC or DC does.

Think about it, a STC HAS to be in tune with the flow of the game because one of his units could be called onto the field at any moment, this would give him the opportunity to view the game from a bigger picture point of view than an OC/DC who are constantly immersed in the chess game going on between their starting 12 and the starting 12 of the opposing coordinator. Also, being a STC means your working closely with just about everyone on the game-day roster whether they be O guys, D guys, rookies, or vets, ST's are comprised of everyone so again, your not just zoned in on one unit all the time.

I think if a guy has the capability to be a good HC, STC is the ideal way to groom him.
    Last edited by Pencilvester; 01-25-2019, 10:59 AM.

Comment

One or two year deal? If it is only one year, that means Lapo will be HC next year.

Comment

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...nson-1.4993024

Comment

Originally posted by Pencilvester View Post
          In regards to Dickenson, I would actually argue that being a STC sets you up for transitioning to HC much better than OC or DC does.
          Worked well for Mike O'Shea.

Comment

Great 2011 interview with Craig about his coaching aspirations. Ken Miller comes in later with his opinion if Craig is ready to be a HC.

Comment

Originally posted by CalgaryRiderFan View Post
              Starting a brand new thread so that the formatting is not a mess. All the old posts are in the other thread for reading purposes
              You mentioned TSN breaking more than 3dn lately. 3dn has had some poor Intel lately and been wrong, so I wonder if they are trying to be more diligent about back checking stuff, thus being late to the party
              #keepthepromise

Onward with escaping the hopeless fantasy of an artificial freedom and darkened picket fences the disillusioned front of friendly foes

Comment

Originally posted by Pencilvester View Post

Think about it, a STC HAS to be in tune with the flow of the game because one of his units could be called onto the field at any moment, this would give him the opportunity to view the game from a bigger picture point of view than an OC/DC who are constantly immersed in the chess game going on between their starting 12 and the starting 12 of the opposing coordinator. Also, being a STC means your working closely with just about everyone on the game-day roster whether they be O guys, D guys, rookies, or vets, ST's are comprised of everyone so again, your not just zoned in on one unit all the time.

I think if a guy has the capability to be a good HC, STC is the ideal way to groom him.
                100% agreed. From my experience special teams orientated coaches make tremendous head coaches due to their extreme attention to detail and all facets of the game. Itís not like Craig wonít know anything about O or D so worrying about that is silly. Iíve met Craig a couple times and he was friendly but definitely doesnít like to take football to his personal life so Iím interested to see how he handles the extra press of being a head coach.

Comment

Does Craig still need 4 months away from football every offseason? I recall he needed that time off to focus on his snowboarding profession in the offseason.

Comment

Congratulations, Craig. Best of luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Van A View Post
                      One or two year deal? If it is only one year, that means Lapo will be HC next year.
                      To me any thing less then a 3 yr deal tells me O'Day is not sold on Dickenson and wants to continue his search next offseason.

Comment

Presser at 2pm to be streamed online.

Comment

Originally posted by CoachKris View Post

100% agreed. From my experience special teams orientated coaches make tremendous head coaches due to their extreme attention to detail and all facets of the game. Itís not like Craig wonít know anything about O or D so worrying about that is silly. Iíve met Craig a couple times and he was friendly but definitely doesnít like to take football to his personal life so Iím interested to see how he handles the extra press of being a head coach.
                          Yeah, people always assume that the great OC's and DC's should be destined for HCing but those guys are often good at what they do because they're obsessed with the one side of the ball they work on meaning that they pay little attention to the other side, and often don't even have much of a relationship with their own players that play on the opposite side. A HC is required to take a much broader view in regards to the team and often can have a detrimental effect on the overall team if they are cheating to the side they're comfortable with. I'd argue that was a problem for Maas being so heavily involved in the O, and probably for Jones too being so heavily involved in the D, sometimes when your the HC, that level of involvement in one facet can be unhealthy for the rest of your team.

Comment

Originally posted by Ike View Post

To me any thing less then a 3 yr deal tells me O'Day is not sold on Dickenson and wants to continue his search next offseason.
                            Under the new ops cap, I think 2 year deals will become more of the norm for HC's. I'd be surprised if he gets a 3 year deal. My guess is 2 years, and maybe 2 +1 (the third year being a club option).

Comment

Great hire! Likely a two year deal in this day and age of this silly coaches cap.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X