Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jeremy O'Day named Riders GM and Vice President of Football Operations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeremy O'Day named Riders GM and Vice President of Football Operations

Temporary placeholder post. Will move posts over here. JO deserves his own thread.

Crap. I wanted to be able to delete this post. I start too many threads on here as it is. The old VBulletin I could start a temporary thread, move the posts over, and then delete my placeholder post so that the next post in line would be the thread starter. Ugh.

• RAJ47
    replied
    I listen to Mad Dog Sports on XM and this am Lance Madow had Steve Walsh on. Very intelligent guy and great speaker.
    Shared great insight on the NFL Draft and his thoughts on the some of QB's coming in as well as the Rosen situation.
    Talked about his experience getting selected and competing with Aikman. His relationship with Jimmie Johnson in the NCAA and in the NFL.
    And of course shared his thoughts on the replay / Challenge rules of the CFL and how it should affect the NFL in the upcoming season.

Walsh did a very good job....seems to be quite well connected with respect to the NFL media......Wouldn't be surprised if he has a post coaching career as an analyst waiting for him.

Leave a comment:

• Rider_Stronson
    replied
    Lots of great stuff in here about JO. A lengthy article and very good read.

Leave a comment:

• RAJ47
    replied
    Originally posted by Canyon11 View Post

New GM, new head coach, new DC, no QB as of yet.
    12 wins would be miraculous.
    I don't think the outlook is bleak at all.
    Jones is an extremely talented coach and personnel guy...but I feel we have very skilled people in place to continue on the path that he has started.
    O'day was considered by a lot to be ready to take over in 2015. I felt that he was far from ready then, but learning under Jones and Murphy for the last three years , I feel that he is ready now. He still has Davis to help with recruiting and we have added Paul Jones.
    I have very high expectations for ODay .

As far as CD...I think he will be great. He is universally respected on the team and throughout the league. Shivers as DC (I hope) ..should be able to continue to give us an elite D.
    I am not sure what CD will do with the any offensive staff changes.....McAdoo has had success as recently as 2017. Issue for us and a lot of other teams in the league..is the QB position.
    Free agency should answer those questions. I think we will be ok ...as long as BB is not on the roster....he has wasted a roster spot for long enough.

With all of the player movement to the NFL going on in the West and the QB ?? that are evident in the league......we are not alone with those issues.

Go Riders!!

Leave a comment:

• Rider_Stronson
    replied
    Originally posted by Fullhouse View Post

Some? More like all - or at least the majority of it. Jones has said that Oday was the one responsible for negotiating the contracts and managing the salary cap.
    Murph did a lot of contracts.

Leave a comment:

• Fullhouse
    replied
    Originally posted by Bigsexydawg View Post

I think Jones let ODay do some dealing with the agents and players as part of his duties under Jones. Now you are correct in that ODay has the final say. This fan is not concerned at this point but we will see over the next 2 or 3 weeks.
    Some? More like all - or at least the majority of it. Jones has said that Oday was the one responsible for negotiating the contracts and managing the salary cap.

Leave a comment:

• greenale
    replied
    Originally posted by Shotgun View Post

And Im confident that J ODay wont get caught up in any Jennings overhype
    I hope we are able to land someone else. But looking at our roster today not just at QB he has a lot of work to do. If Willie leave thats a huge hole

Leave a comment:

• Shotgun
    replied
    Originally posted by greenale View Post

I felt even under Jones if we did not significantly improve the QB position and the O in general we were most likely going to take a step back. Oday has a huge task ahead of him for 2019...but I am hopeful. I think he is going to be a very good GM.
    And Im confident that J ODay wont get caught up in any Jennings overhype

Leave a comment:

• greenale
    replied
    Originally posted by Canyon11 View Post

I felt even under Jones if we did not significantly improve the QB position and the O in general we were most likely going to take a step back. Oday has a huge task ahead of him for 2019...but I am hopeful. I think he is going to be a very good GM.

Leave a comment:

• Canyon11
    replied
    Originally posted by Shotgun View Post

12w is going to take some big work on O. both philosophical and talent

Leave a comment:

• Sprout
    replied
    Originally posted by McGreen View Post

I think this is going to the year of the great quarterback shuffle. There will be some surprises and some very disappointed fans.
    I'll say it again - I agree with you and I am very convinced that level of play may drop. On the plus side, I think a lot of rookie QBs will have a chance to develop because most of the league will be in exactly the same situation.

Leave a comment:

• McGreen
    replied
    Originally posted by Bigsexydawg View Post

The real winner will be Jennings especially after Harris and Reilly sign wherever.
    I think this is going to the year of the great quarterback shuffle. There will be some surprises and some very disappointed fans.

Leave a comment:

• Bigsexydawg
    replied
    Originally posted by McGreen View Post

Right now the quarterback outlook is great due to what is available through free agency.
    The real winner will be Jennings especially after Harris and Reilly sign wherever.

Leave a comment:

• McGreen
    replied
    Originally posted by cookiecrumble View Post

Considering the QB outlook. I agree.
    Right now the quarterback outlook is great due to what is available through free agency.

Leave a comment:

• wist
    replied
    Originally posted by CalgaryRiderFan View Post
    Re. whether O'Day can make the hard decisions when needed, I seem to recall that when he joined the management team in 2011 one of the tasks he had to do that year early was inform a good friend of his (Szarka) that he was being released. That would have been quite the initiation.
    He also wasn't afraid to trade Messam.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X