Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jeremy O'Day named Riders GM and Vice President of Football Operations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bigsexydawg View Post

First of all that wasn’t the strategy, it was what happened because of multiple factors leading to an inept offence.

I don’t think you’ll find anyone who will argue there doesn’t need an improved offence. But the team doesn’t have to sacrifice defence to improve the offence. I also hope you aren’t meaning you would welcome more losses as long as the offence is entertaining.

Now I haven’t seen how you voted in your poll but I assume Lapo is your guy. Winnipeg’s offence wasn’t exactly a quick strike and big play offence. It was an offence that used a strong running game, misdirection, motion and deception to create opening to get positive yards. It was more creative and innovative than the Riders offence.
    As far as Lapo's offence goes, I would say that it was an entertaining offense that used what the defense gave up. A smart offense IMHO.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tyree View Post

Don't get his hopes up like that, Monty!
      He's making his "10 reasons a convenience hire is a good hire" list even as we speak.

Comment

• Originally posted by squish View Post

This team was in a bit tough for 2019 with or without Jones. 12-6 was incredibly lucky mark to hit all things considered. It belies the true nature of the team, and especially the O. Also, without Jones running the D, they may not be as dominant again. My goals for the team this year, are, as I often say, not so much results related but rather performance related. More offensive production, and a stout D, we'll get the wins. Will we be lucky enough for 12 again? Doubtful. But as long as we can get playoffs in the west, and with a better more balanced team, we should be able to make some noise this time around.
        Again, We earned every victory last season. Football is a team sport and we needed every phase of our team to get each and every win. Some games it was the O , Some were the D and ST's...but 12 wins is 12 wins.

We are what are record was. It was not LUCK. Minimizing it is nonsense and disrespectful of what the players and the coaches accomplished last season.

We had ?? marks going into every season at the QB position since 2015. The last two years as well. Yet we had 10 and 12 wins. We still have Shivers and the D coaches on staff. We have lost some players...but we will have more coming in. If we go with Dickenson as HC or are fortunate enough to convince Trestman to take over....we will be successful again.

I thought you would be showing more confidence in the abilities of O'Day as our GM....but you have started the excuse train very early......that is pathetic and typical for you.

Listening to O'day at the press conference convinced me that he was NOW ready for the job. Working closely with Jones and Murphy over the last 3 years has helped him with the biggest deficiency that I saw in 2015....Personnel. AS he said, he saw exactly what qualities Jones wanted in players and now he and Paul Jones can continue restocking the roster.

We should be expecting 12 wins for the 2019 season. The foundation has been laid.

Comment

• Originally posted by RAJ47 View Post

Again, We earned every victory last season. Football is a team sport and we needed every phase of our team to get each and every win. Some games it was the O , Some were the D and ST's...but 12 wins is 12 wins.

We are what are record was. It was not LUCK. Minimizing it is nonsense and disrespectful of what the players and the coaches accomplished last season.

We had ?? marks going into every season at the QB position since 2015. The last two years as well. Yet we had 10 and 12 wins. We still have Shivers and the D coaches on staff. We have lost some players...but we will have more coming in. If we go with Dickenson as HC or are fortunate enough to convince Trestman to take over....we will be successful again.

I thought you would be showing more confidence in the abilities of O'Day as our GM....but you have started the excuse train very early......that is pathetic and typical for you.

Listening to O'day at the press conference convinced me that he was NOW ready for the job. Working closely with Jones and Murphy over the last 3 years has helped him with the biggest deficiency that I saw in 2015....Personnel. AS he said, he saw exactly what qualities Jones wanted in players and now he and Paul Jones can continue restocking the roster.

We should be expecting 12 wins for the 2019 season. The foundation has been laid.
          ...and if we don't get 12 wins?

Comment

Then you hope the number of wins they do get is enough to get a playoff spot.
            Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigsexydawg View Post

Then you hope the number of wins they do get is enough to get a playoff spot.
              Thats exactly it. Getting more than 12 was going to be a tall order no matter what, and to me it doesn't really matter. We can get 10 wins and still be a better team. Its all about if a) we can make the playoffs, b) we can win in the playoffs.

Comment

• Originally posted by R.J View Post
                Anyone else going 3 pages when they click latest post for this thread ?
                Yup, I suspect it's a symptom of the mods combining threads.

Comment

I don’t think anyone is makinn excuses for O’Day, they’re just simply saying that no matter who takes over as a DC, they aren’t Jones. just by losing Jones as our DC our defence got worse by default. No matter how infuriating he was with his 3 man fronts at times, he is arguably the best DC the CFL has and will see for a very long time.

Thats not making excuses, it’s just stating a fact.

We may also not get our #1 choice of HC because of this new cap and someone having to come in to a pre-existing staff. I’m fairly certain O’Days #1 choice isn’t on the existing staff, but have a gut feeling that his first hire will be internal. If it does end up being McAdoo, he’ll sit beside him and say “he was my guy all along.” That doesn’t make it true, but he has to show confidence in the guy he’s sitting beside during that press conference.

O’Day has the foundation laid for him, but he definitely has some challenges ahead of him that no one else has ever had to face before.

On the GM side of things, I think we’re fine going from Jones to O’Day. O’Day will be fine, he knows what he’s doing. I don’t think anyone’s concerned about that.

The concern is that we might not get the best HC available because of how late in the off-season we are, with this new coaching cap in effect, and that no matter who takes over at DC, just by default our D will not be as good.

That’s not stuff O’Day can exactly control, we just have to hope our O pulls their weight this year because our D won’t be winning games like they were last year.

Also, hard no to Trestman. We’ve already seen that he can’t do anything without an all-star QB and there were enough horror stories of him being too hard headed in Toronto. If he can’t work with a staff he picked, there’s no way it’ll end well with a staff he had no say in. I’d rather see McAdoo take the top job than have Trestman anywhere near this team.

Comment

• I agree with everything in your post. Let me add one thing., if we hire a HC with no previous HC experience there will be a learning curve. He will make mistakes and that may cost us games. We were lucky that CJ had two years in Edmonton to hone those skills before we got him. Good luck to the new HC.

Comment

I am confident that we will be in that range and that we will host a playoff game.
                      WE have a damn good team and organization. This is a reload season not a rebuild. I am sure JO and his crew feel the same way.

I thought you would have more faith in O'Day?? We have a very strong foundation that Jones left us. People don't mention Mike Davis enough....but he has a ton of experience and is very well connected. CJ relied on Davis a lot .

Looks like you are a full time passenger on the excuse train...LOL

Comment

• Originally posted by Duncan View Post

I don’t think anyone is makinn excuses for O’Day, they’re just simply saying that no matter who takes over as a DC, they aren’t Jones. just by losing Jones as our DC our defence got worse by default. No matter how infuriating he was with his 3 man fronts at times, he is arguably the best DC the CFL has and will see for a very long time.

Thats not making excuses, it’s just stating a fact.

We may also not get our #1 choice of HC because of this new cap and someone having to come in to a pre-existing staff. I’m fairly certain O’Days #1 choice isn’t on the existing staff, but have a gut feeling that his first hire will be internal. If it does end up being McAdoo, he’ll sit beside him and say “he was my guy all along.” That doesn’t make it true, but he has to show confidence in the guy he’s sitting beside during that press conference.

O’Day has the foundation laid for him, but he definitely has some challenges ahead of him that no one else has ever had to face before.

On the GM side of things, I think we’re fine going from Jones to O’Day. O’Day will be fine, he knows what he’s doing. I don’t think anyone’s concerned about that.

The concern is that we might not get the best HC available because of how late in the off-season we are, with this new coaching cap in effect, and that no matter who takes over at DC, just by default our D will not be as good.

That’s not stuff O’Day can exactly control, we just have to hope our O pulls their weight this year because our D won’t be winning games like they were last year.

Also, hard no to Trestman. We’ve already seen that he can’t do anything without an all-star QB and there were enough horror stories of him being too hard headed in Toronto. If he can’t work with a staff he picked, there’s no way it’ll end well with a staff he had no say in. I’d rather see McAdoo take the top job than have Trestman anywhere near this team.
                        OF course with Jones not here , that will have an effect on our D. But we do have Shivers and the rest of CJ's D crew who are not novices in his system. All of these guys have egos and pride...and they want to step out of his shadow and be as effective or better.

Our #1 choice for HC could be (in my opinion should be) Craig Dickenson. JO will know more than any of us whether Craig or McAdoo are the best internal hires.

All teams will be facing challenges this season (as it is every season) . With the QB question, the CBA and the two new American leagues coming out ....getting the players we want in to camp will be an issue for ALL CFL teams.

WE will agree to disagree on Trestman. Guy is a winner and brings in a championship culture with him. He is respected and can command a locker room. I am not sure Lapo can do that.
                        Last edited by RAJ47; 01-20-2019, 12:22 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by commodore View Post
                          I agree with everything in your post. Let me add one thing., if we hire a HC with no previous HC experience there will be a learning curve. He will make mistakes and that may cost us games. We were lucky that CJ had two years in Edmonton to hone those skills before we got him. Good luck to the new HC.
                          Experienced coaches make mistakes as well. AS I am hoping that Andy Reid continues to in todays game vs my Pats.

Comment

OF course with Jones not here , that will have an effect on our D. But we do have Shivers and the rest of CJ's D crew who are not novices in his system. All of these guys have egos and pride...and they want to step out of his shadow and be as effective or better.

Our #1 choice for HC could be (in my opinion should be) Craig Dickenson. JO will know more than any of us whether Craig or McAdoo are the best internal hires.

All teams will be facing challenges this season (as it is every season) . With the QB question, the CBA and the two new American leagues coming out ....getting the players we want in to camp will be an issue for ALL CFL teams.

WE will agree to disagree on Trestman. Guy is a winner and brings in a championship culture with him. He is respected and can command a locker room. I am not sure Lapo can do that.
                            The Riders are a community owned franchise.

Coaches and players really need to understand what that means when coming to Regina. Trestman is a 'circle-the-wagons' kind of guy. He demands a complete focus on football, and has no tolerance for outside distractions, including community events, sponsorship obligations, and marketing activities.

MLSE wanted the Argos players & coaches to be more engaged with the city, and Trestman shut it down. In addition to the team's poor record in 2018, it was a big factor in why he was sent packing.

Trestman is NOT a fit for the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

Comment

Experienced coaches make mistakes as well. AS I am hoping that Andy Reid continues to in todays game vs my Pats.
                              Probably gotta hope for that or maybe Mahomes freezes his arm and cant throw. Pats will be in tough.

Comment

• Originally posted by TorontoVsEverybody View Post

The Riders are a community owned franchise.

Coaches and players really need to understand what that means when coming to Regina. Trestman is a 'circle-the-wagons' kind of guy. He demands a complete focus on football, and has no tolerance for outside distractions, including community events, sponsorship obligations, and marketing activities.

MLSE wanted the Argos players & coaches to be more engaged with the city, and Trestman shut it down. In addition to the team's poor record in 2018, it was a big factor in why he was sent packing.

Trestman is NOT a fit for the Saskatchewan Roughriders.
                                Another point in LaPo’s favour is that he has coached here before. He understands the community and the microscope he will be under. LaPo and Craig D tick the most boxes for me.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X