Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jeremy O'Day named Riders GM and Vice President of Football Operations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bigsexydawg View Post

I want to be your assistant coach in charge of standing around.
    You'll have to pass the "too small of a hat on too big of a head" test first.

Comment

• People who are calling for 10-8 season tend to forget that Jones will not be running the defense. Do not expect our Defense to score as many points as last season. Hopefully our offense will take up some of that slack. If we get LaPo then I think that may be possible.

Comment

• Originally posted by commodore View Post
        People who are calling for 10-8 season tend to forget that Jones will not be running the defense. Do not expect our Defense to score as many points as last season. Hopefully our offense will take up some of that slack. If we get LaPo then I think that may be possible.
        I think most people acknowledge we were a fortunate 12-6 last year which is why 10-8 seems realistic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bingo_Arms View Post

I think most people acknowledge we were a fortunate 12-6 last year which is why 10-8 seems realistic.
          I believe I figured out we were a 7-11 team if we took only offensive points and FGs. Pick 6s and return TDs got us 5 wins. Although that didn't take into account TD's we gave up of that variety too, so it is probably skewed.

Comment

• Originally posted by squish View Post

I believe I figured out we were a 7-11 team if we took only offensive points and FGs. Pick 6s and return TDs got us 5 wins. Although that didn't take into account TD's we gave up of that variety too, so it is probably skewed.
            I put us at 18-0 if we remove all the yards the defense gave up.

Comment

• The record really has to be compared to the competition.

If every other team in the league is 9-9 (with one team being 8-10), then the 10-8 team is king.

On the other hand if we go 8-0 against eastern teams but 2-8 against western teams then 10-8 sucks.

Comment

• Originally posted by RAJ47 View Post

This is true.
                O'Day is in a very favourable position. Reload not a rebuild.
                Good defensive core. Kind of a mess in the skill positions on O, I think most would say. O line's probably in decent shape tho.

Comment

• Originally posted by squish View Post

We were 12-6 . That was our record. Can't get this nonsense of you minimizing what the team accomplished last season.

With JO in charge now .....I expect the team to reload. 12-6 should be a viable goal

Don't get why you are minimizing what JO can do? Seems a little early for the excuse train to be starting.

Comment

• I'm happy to see JOD as the new GM. I didnt think he was ready 3 years ago but I think he is now. No doubt he has a Rider logo stamped on his heart which will play well with segments of our fanbase. However it sounds like he's also ready to make the tough decisions that will be needed, first & foremost his first HC hire.

This is the first real test of Craig Reynolds' "sustainable success" model, by promoting from within a guy who was identified years ago as having potential and has been groomed somewhat for this day to come.

My expectations are no different now than they were when Chris Jones was here - a competitive team that, with the right combo of good management, good coaching and a bit of luck in the injury dept. is challenging for a Grey Cup
                    Last edited by Colonel Klink; 01-20-2019, 08:01 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rider_Stronson View Post

CJ had a ton of support at first too but that evaporated after some grossly unpopular moves when he took a stick of dynamite to the roster. Then there was the 5-13 season to start his tenure here. So it was a very bumpy ride. JO's starting out also with a great deal of support. He could lose some people at first too depending on who he chooses as Head Coach.

But I don't see a first year of JO as GM being riddled with the self-inflicted controversies that CJ had. Such as the roster fiasco. And in my mind, still the biggest one, bringing in a known anti-Semite in Khalif Mitchell, which was a completely tone deaf move. It got so bad that first year, for a stretch, that I dreaded what was going to happen next. The Mitchell thing was stupid and completely self-inflicted but I can also tell you several mines were being laid that helped in making CJ look bad.
                      Oday has learned what to do and what not to do, much of that thanks to chris jones.

Comment

Agreed. And we will have 4 teams in the West that potentially are all in the same boat as we are for a QB.
                        Someone gets reilly and someone gets jennings

Comment

• Originally posted by Vegas View Post

Someone gets reilly and someone gets jennings
                          And I would think someone gets one of James Franklin or McLeod John Baltazar Bethel-Thompson.

Comment

We were 12-6 . That was our record. Can't get this nonsense of you minimizing what the team accomplished last season.

With JO in charge now .....I expect the team to reload. 12-6 should be a viable goal

Don't get why you are minimizing what JO can do? Seems a little early for the excuse train to be starting.
                            This team was in a bit tough for 2019 with or without Jones. 12-6 was incredibly lucky mark to hit all things considered. It belies the true nature of the team, and especially the O. Also, without Jones running the D, they may not be as dominant again. My goals for the team this year, are, as I often say, not so much results related but rather performance related. More offensive production, and a stout D, we'll get the wins. Will we be lucky enough for 12 again? Doubtful. But as long as we can get playoffs in the west, and with a better more balanced team, we should be able to make some noise this time around.

Comment

• I'm looking forward to see what O'Day can do now he has the handle of GM , I think being given control ( and a three year deal ) or " responsibility " resting on his actions and decisions alone will make a difference for him to implement what he believes a team should be . He is excited to get started it appears , and fans are equally excited to see what the team in 2019 will accomplish on the field .

Comment

• Originally posted by C.M.Burns View Post

IMO you or I have a better chance of being hired as HC.
                                Don't get his hopes up like that, Monty!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X