Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jeremy O'Day named Riders GM and Vice President of Football Operations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• - I am much more on board with Jeremy being the GM now than if he had been handed the job in 2016. There is something to be said for paying your dues.

- I was as big of a Durant fan as anyone, but c'mon, It's 2019. Move on. Ditto Dressler.

- My first pick for head coach would be Trestman but I can live with LaPolice too.

- The Paul Jones hiring is going to be really huge for us.

- We'll see how things turn out, but I have an odd lack of negativity going into 2019. Maybe I'm just getting old.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigsexydawg View Post

Not at all and in fact I will in no way fire criticism of OíDay year 1 that is anywhere close to what Jones faced in year 1.

I am also saying if OíDay makes a solid HC choice and get even an adequate experienced qb like Jennings this team will be right in the hunt for first place.

I think this team will progress overall with less high risk reward personnel decisions and more personnel decisions that are strategic and consistent.
      So, Lapo and Jennings? Signing Jennings would also likely allow us to have money for WJ without letting someone else go, maybe we would even be able to afford an upgrade at another position.

Comment

First of all that wasnít the strategy, it was what happened because of multiple factors leading to an inept offence.

I donít think youíll find anyone who will argue there doesnít need an improved offence. But the team doesnít have to sacrifice defence to improve the offence. I also hope you arenít meaning you would welcome more losses as long as the offence is entertaining.

Now I havenít seen how you voted in your poll but I assume Lapo is your guy. Winnipegís offence wasnít exactly a quick strike and big play offence. It was an offence that used a strong running game, misdirection, motion and deception to create opening to get positive yards. It was more creative and innovative than the Riders offence.
        I'd be curious to see our cap number on offense vs defense and where that would put us vs the rest of the league. Does such a chart exist somewhere? I know it would be a compiled list because the league doesn't release those numbers.

Comment

First of all that wasnít the strategy, it was what happened because of multiple factors leading to an inept offence.

I donít think youíll find anyone who will argue there doesnít need an improved offence. But the team doesnít have to sacrifice defence to improve the offence. I also hope you arenít meaning you would welcome more losses as long as the offence is entertaining.

Now I havenít seen how you voted in your poll but I assume Lapo is your guy. Winnipegís offence wasnít exactly a quick strike and big play offence. It was an offence that used a strong running game, misdirection, motion and deception to create opening to get positive yards. It was more creative and innovative than the Riders offence.
          ďThree yards and a cloud of dustĒ was more creative and innovative than our offence last year.

Comment

• Originally posted by danno View Post

Not having a QB on the roster capable of playing is a pretty big handicap.
            You could argue that Jones faced the same handicap (no QB on the roster when he took over too - that last season of Durant here wasnít real great and his next in Montreal was even worse).

Comment

I wouldnít call 10 and 8 regression.
              I think 10-8 is ok, but I think the context of that record will be important.

If we go 10-8 with a rookie QB who is 23-24 yrs old and could be here the next 10 yrs - I would be elated.

If we land a Reilly or Harris and finish 10-8, especially with Edmonton, BC and Calgary having to go with a new starting QB, then I would be kind of disappointed with the record.

if Reilly and Bo Levi are both gone to the NFL, it should be pretty wide open in the West - and outside of Winnipeg who looks to be pretty stable, I would say second place and 10-8 or 11-7 is easily up for grabs.

Comment

• The only coaching hire thatís could cause...who am I kidding, will cause division is McAdoo.

Comment

• Originally posted by CalgaryRiderFan View Post
                  The only coaching hire thatís could cause...who am I kidding, will cause division is McAdoo.
                  IMO you or I have a better chance of being hired as HC.

Comment

• Originally posted by C.M.Burns View Post

IMO you or I have a better chance of being hired as HC.
                    So youíre telling me thereís a chance,

Comment

There is ....

Comment

The only coaching hire thatís could cause...who am I kidding, will cause division is McAdoo.
                        The entire world against the 5 people that voted for him is not much of a division I don't think.

Comment

Well that could lead one to argue ODay concluded that maybe McAdoo wasnít the problem and that he was more than just Jones buddy.
                          Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

Comment

I want to be your assistant coach in charge of standing around.
                            Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

Comment

• I watched the Press Conference on TSN and thought the guys had a really great one. I liked hearing Craig answer the question of why he didn't hire Jeremy 3 years ago. Not an easy question. He totally answered the question, with Jeremy sitting right there, and said the timing wasn't right, and he wanted him to have seasoning prior to being the GM. Jeremy wasn't happy about it back then, but he understood the decision. He himself will have to make these kind of "not personal, it's business" decisions. Jeremy is learning to be an exec off of guys like Craig. He answered the DD question very skillfully, and did not skip around it like a lot of execs would have. He did this without being disrespectful towards DD and what he did here in the past. If that's how he handles things, then we're in for a good ride. He's had years of playing, and a few years of being an exec to learn about the business side of things, and if he surrounds himself with the right people, it's going to be a good ride for him. Coaching hire and who we have as starting QB will obviously be huge, but he won't be alone making those decisions. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do.

Comment

Agreed with all of this, and I did vote Plop.

What I meant by settling for fewer wins is that I don't see 12-6 as a number to beat or else. I think we want west playoffs at minimum, but also a team that goes in able to withstand an injury and with an offence that can actually score.

Looking back, he was our OC in 08 and 09. Both very good years offensively for us, so I see no issue there.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X