Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jeremy O'Day named Riders GM and Vice President of Football Operations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fullhouse View Post

There is a difference here though. When Shivers came on the team was rock bottom. When Jones came on that was also the case. With Oday, he should look at some form of continuity that has been built with some changes. This canít be a total rebuild like with Shivers and Jones.
    Not having a QB on the roster capable of playing is a pretty big handicap.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigsexydawg View Post

Not at all and in fact I will in no way fire criticism of OíDay year 1 that is anywhere close to what Jones faced in year 1.

I am also saying if OíDay makes a solid HC choice and get even an adequate experienced qb like Jennings this team will be right in the hunt for first place.

I think this team will progress overall with less high risk reward personnel decisions and more personnel decisions that are strategic and consistent.
      I would agree that we have some solid talent and O'day hasn't been dealt a bad hand at all, but I think our record flattered us last year. The east was not great last year and we only put up 6 more points than we gave up. That said there are a ridiculous amount of free agents available league wide. If Calgary loses Bo Levi combined with the loss of Singleton now, it's easy to argue that the state team is in today is equal or better than any team in the league. No one team is dominant on paper right now.

Comment

I wouldnít call 10 and 8 regression.
        Regression is progression....

Comment

Neither would I.

We have no answer at the # 1 position in the sport, and that's going to be a tough nut for JOD to crack in his first year, given the uncertainty around HC, who then has to absorb someone else's staff.

And we have our work cut out for us, losing some key players to the NFL. And although JOD provides stability in having been around the last regime, I'm not sure he handled anything of importance for recruitment with both CJ and Murphy likely handling those duties between them. Potentially meaning he needs to get up to speed on that, while acclimating to someone else's hire (Jones). But as I alluded to in another post, JOD would have needed to her someone, and I think he would have jumped at getting a guy like Jones.

We'll see now JOD makes his mark, starting with how he sorts out the coaching issue.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rider_Stronson View Post

Yeah. That made Arash look really bad. Then he said JO's prime FA target at QB would be Trevor Harris. Anyone ever hear of a guy named Mike Reilly?
            And all because O'Day and Harris played College ball in Edinboro.

Comment

• Unless I'm missing something, I really don't get why some are taking shots at Jones. One person even talks about toxicity over the last few years. To that person, are u saying Jones is to blame for that?

Jones had to practically rebuild this team and its now up there. He got rid of big contracts to help build this team to what it is. Maybe some of u are still pissed about that lol. Has he made mistakes? Sure but he's been the best GM we've had since Tillman and the best coach we've had here in awhile.

You guys can be glad that O'Day is the GM, that's fine but taking shots at a guy who rebuilt the organization and is getting rewarded by moving on to the NFL is quite funny to see.

Comment

Well itís two wins backwards and likely not a home playoff game but I wouldnít be upset if thatís where we landed. It would have to take us dropping below .500 for me to have any real concerns in 2019.

Comment

Nor would I, but with the caveat that more than record, I'd really just like to see a team that's balanced on O and D again. A team that can score quickly, and in bunches. I'd take that, even if it meant winning a few less games, because it bodes very well for more of a long-term success. Counting on TDs from the D and special teams is not a strategy to build a team around.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fullhouse View Post

There is a difference here though. When Shivers came on the team was rock bottom. When Jones came on that was also the case. With Oday, he should look at some form of continuity that has been built with some changes. This canít be a total rebuild like with Shivers and Jones.
                    I think the rebuild that needs to occur is mostly around the culture.

As an organization you want someone who wants to be there long term, and who wants to create a legacy. Looking around the CFL, I would say that Huff presents exactly what I would like to see us do. Someone who wants to be here long term is going to set us up for success long term. Someone who views this simply as a career stop, is going to do things differently.

I remember thinking it when CJ signed, that this was going to end in one of two ways (but neither was going to be long term). Either he had success, and moved on. Or he didn't have success, and we moved on. There really wasn't a middle ground with him. Whereas with JOD, if he can perform, and given his age, this could be a great fit for both sides (and ideally long term).

And it isn't to suggest we made a mistake with CJ. I think we needed him at the time, and it was a good hire for both sides. But it was never going to be for long term. We are a better organization now, than when he came, but it doesn't mean we can't continue to get better. I'm hoping that JOD keeps an eye on long term, as well as the short term.
                    Last edited by ChuckT; 01-19-2019, 12:06 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ChuckT View Post

As an organization you want someone who wants to be there long term, and who wants to create a legacy. Looking around the CFL, I would sway that Huff presents exactly what I would like to see us do. Someone who wants to be here long term is going to set us up for success long term. Someone who views this simply as a career stop, is going to do things differently.

I remember thinking it when CJ signed, that this was going to end in one of two ways (but neither was going to be long term). Either he had success, and moved on. Or he didn't have success, and we moved on. There really wasn't a middle ground with him. Whereas with JOD, if he can perform, and given his age, this could be a great fit for both sides (and ideally long term).

And it isn't to suggest we made a mistake with CJ. I think we needed him at the time, and it was a good hire for both sides. But it was never going to be for long term. We are a better organization now, than when he came, but it doesn't mean we can't continue to get better. I'm hoping that JOD installs keeps an eye on the long term, as well as the short term.
                      Great post!

Comment

• Originally posted by ChuckT View Post

As an organization you want someone who wants to be there long term, and who wants to create a legacy. Looking around the CFL, I would say that Huff presents exactly what I would like to see us do. Someone who wants to be here long term is going to set us up for success long term. Someone who views this simply as a career stop, is going to do things differently.

And it isn't to suggest we made a mistake with CJ. I think we needed him at the time, and it was a good hire for both sides. But it was never going to be for long term. We are a better organization now, than when he came, but it doesn't mean we can't continue to get better. I'm hoping that JOD keeps an eye on long term, as well as the short term.

Like your point. Jones may be not the type that stays for long but he's the type that tries to move up the chain and nobody can blame him or criticize him for that. He may have had a feeling Cleveland may come calling when he signed the extension but from what I can see, the Cleveland coach was hired after the contract was announced. Sure we can be disappointed he left but I would to if my dream was to go to the NFL. I'm glad we had him for as long as we did cuz he helped turn the team around big time.

Comment

• Wonder how long before lines get drawn between pro-JOD and anti-JOD? Iím thinking it will be moments after he announces his first official hire.
                          Reynolds will no doubt be working on his succession plan to replace JO already.
                          Press here to reset

Comment

• Originally posted by squish View Post

Nor would I, but with the caveat that more than record, I'd really just like to see a team that's balanced on O and D again. A team that can score quickly, and in bunches. I'd take that, even if it meant winning a few less games, because it bodes very well for more of a long-term success. Counting on TDs from the D and special teams is not a strategy to build a team around.
                            First of all that wasnít the strategy, it was what happened because of multiple factors leading to an inept offence.

I donít think youíll find anyone who will argue there doesnít need an improved offence. But the team doesnít have to sacrifice defence to improve the offence. I also hope you arenít meaning you would welcome more losses as long as the offence is entertaining.

Now I havenít seen how you voted in your poll but I assume Lapo is your guy. Winnipegís offence wasnít exactly a quick strike and big play offence. It was an offence that used a strong running game, misdirection, motion and deception to create opening to get positive yards. It was more creative and innovative than the Riders offence.
                            Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

Comment

• Originally posted by RAJ47 View Post

I was impressed with how JO handled the press conference.
                              Me too. A lot of good answers. One of my favorites was when he said he is not looking to hire a buddy to be HC. He will hire who he truly believes is best.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pull my Finger View Post
                                Wonder how long before lines get drawn between pro-JOD and anti-JOD? Iím thinking it will be moments after he announces his first official hire.
                                Reynolds will no doubt be working on his succession plan to replace JO already.
                                I think you will be waiting awhile. I havenít seen approval rating for a GM this high since Bill Baker was hired.
                                Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X