Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jeremy O'Day named Riders GM and Vice President of Football Operations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Redmanrules View Post

Supporting the Oday hire now is much easier as he has learned from a successful leader in Jones for the past three years. Promoting internally is much easier when you are coming off a 10 and then 12 win season. The roster is in much better shape, presumably our negotiation list is in much better shape, our salary structure is in much better shape and our scouting with Jones on board is in much better shape than it was three years ago.

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^

I was impressed with how JO handled the press conference. I saw the internal confidence in him that I hadn't seen before. You can tell that the last 3 years of working with CJ has made him more well rounded and competent.
    With Paul Jones, Mike Davis and JO handling the management/scouting/recruiting for the team......I am looking forward to the next chapter.

He needs to get a HC in asap, solidify the coaching staff and make this an attractive spot for Reilly or Harris and of course ...we need to get Willie back .

Comment

• Originally posted by Fullhouse View Post

There is a difference here though. When Shivers came on the team was rock bottom. When Jones came on that was also the case. With Oday, he should look at some form of continuity that has been built with some changes. This canít be a total rebuild like with Shivers and Jones.
      O'Day has as tough a job as any GM ahead of him. He's got to build a whole offence around a solid O-Line. The defence has a solid secondary, but there are some big pieces missing as well. There is also the delicate balance of working a new HC into a foreign coaching staff - and getting everyone aligned behind a common vision. It can very easily go off the rails - especially since there are no saviours in FA who can come in and play QB for us.

Comment

There is a difference here though. When Shivers came on the team was rock bottom. When Jones came on that was also the case. With Oday, he should look at some form of continuity that has been built with some changes. This canít be a total rebuild like with Shivers and Jones.
        JO needs to basically re-load. Jones left us with a great team and coaching staff. We now have to ensure we have the right leader in place and be very aggressive in pursuing Reilly /Harris.

Comment

• Originally posted by TorontoVsEverybody View Post

O'Day has as tough a job as any GM ahead of him. He's got to build a whole offence around a solid O-Line. The defence has a solid secondary, but there are some big pieces missing as well. There is also the delicate balance of working a new HC into a foreign coaching staff - and getting everyone aligned behind a common vision. It can very easily go off the rails - especially since there are no saviours in FA who can come in and play QB for us.
          Why are you making excuses for him already.
          Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

Comment

He has a much easier job ahead of him than either Shivers or Jones did and it's not even remotely close. Nothing is without work but he doesn't need to rebuild an entire franchise from the ground up. The majority of the groundwork is already in place.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigsexydawg View Post

Why are you making excuses for him already.
              I was responding to a poster who was suggesting that O'Day has it easy. I'm not making excuses, I'm making observations. Why are you attacking me over this?

Comment

• Originally posted by Giventofly View Post

He has a much easier job ahead of him than either Shivers or Jones did and it's not even remotely close. Nothing is without work but he doesn't need to rebuild an entire franchise from the ground up. The majority of the groundwork is already in place.
                I find it funny OíDayís biggest supporter is already building a desk fort and a foundation of excuses.

Comment

I was responding to a poster who was suggesting that O'Day has it easy. I'm not making excuses, I'm making observations. Why are you attacking me over this?
                  You are making excuses and it is not an attack, itís an observation. He is at a way better starting point than Jones or Shivers.

Comment

I find it funny OíDayís biggest supporter is already building a desk fort and a foundation of excuses.
                    Why are you attacking me? If you have an issue with what I said, then break down my argument. Don't snipe at me.

Comment

• Annnnnnd the truce is over.

As long as fans donít start converting the Habs song

O DAY O Day O Day O Day
                      O Day
                      O Day

Comment

If that was me, I never said Oday has it easy. In many ways itís worse because he is hampered with existing contracts and coaching cap that no others have had.

Comment

The Church of the O'latterDay Saints is having their faith tested early

Comment

• Originally posted by Giventofly View Post

I agree with this. The roster is dang good. The obvious hole that everyone sees is at QB but that's Captain Obvious stuff.

Comment

If that was me, I never said Oday has it easy. In many ways itís worse because he is hampered with existing contracts and coaching cap that no others have had.
                              And I believe he will be successful at moving us forward. He's a well-respected, unassuming guy. Egos are going to be bruised on that coaching staff. Loyalties tested. As someone who been played the game at a high level, he'll understand what kind of players to bring in. He'll also understand what kind of coach is needed to bring the best out of those players.

Comment

• Originally posted by gpridernut View Post
                                Annnnnnd the truce is over.

As long as fans donít start converting the Habs song

O DAY O Day O Day O Day
                                O Day
                                O Day
                                Well some of us supportive of the hire are looking forward to the positive impact while others are lamenting about a fabricated tough situation he inherits.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X