Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will this team still be competitive?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Will this team still be competitive?

    With the loss of Jones can this team maintain its success, get a QB, sign it's free agents and be a 12 win team?
    Alberta boy, Rider fan

  • #2
    Good question. But are you assuming the 2019 Riders would be a 12 win team if Jones were to stay?

    Comment


    • #3
      Maybe get Kevin Glenn and shoot for 9-9 and the crossover.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by CFLFAN1 View Post
        Maybe get Kevin Glenn and shoot for 9-9 and the crossover.
        At this point, stuck with a lame duck coaching staff and a vacuum at qb, why not promote internally on 1 year contract at hc and bring in a bunch of cheap young qbs? Maybe a Strevler or Pipkin will stand out and we've already spent a year expecting the defence to bail out an impotent offence.

        By going on the cheap there will be more cap room to pick up late nfl cut and resign players for the inevitable 2020 reboot.
        CBA please.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Soylent View Post

          At this point, stuck with a lame duck coaching staff and a vacuum at qb, why not promote internally on 1 year contract at hc and bring in a bunch of cheap young qbs? Maybe a Strevler or Pipkin will stand out and we've already spent a year expecting the defence to bail out an impotent offence.

          By going on the cheap there will be more cap room to pick up late nfl cut and resign players for the inevitable 2020 reboot.
          Holy Frick! Giving up at the first sign of trouble is loser talk. I suspect that Reynolds and the rest of the Roughrider organization will not have such a defeatist attitude. Football is the ultimate team sport - Yes, Jones was the key man in football operations but it was the entire 80 person organization that finished second overall in the CFL not one man.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Kilaeua Rider View Post

            Holy Frick! Giving up at the first sign of trouble is loser talk. I suspect that Reynolds and the rest of the Roughrider organization will not have such a defeatist attitude. Football is the ultimate team sport - Yes, Jones was the key man in football operations but it was the entire 80 person organization that finished second overall in the CFL not one man.
            Do you really think that signing some retread at qb and forcing a new head coach to take on McAdoo et al is a recipe for sustainable success?
            CBA please.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Soylent View Post

              Do you really think that signing some retread at qb and forcing a new head coach to take on McAdoo et al is a recipe for sustainable success?
              At least let the club make a move or two in reaction to Jones leaving before declaring it a failure. I am not sure how your rollover and play dead for 2019 strategy is going to help us be successful in 2020. Who would ever want to join a club with a “lame duck” attitude like that.

              I am sorry, I really want to be respectful but I just do not see the club making the choice to surrender this season. I fully expect a bold, swinging for the fences, kind of reaction. I know where your concerns come from. It is the memories of the endless, lazy, short cut choices made by the team waaaaay back in the days of Al Ford in the 90s but this is not that club anymore. No pity party here, the Riders are moving forward.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Kilaeua Rider View Post
                . No pity party here, the Riders are moving forward.
                Addition by subtraction?
                CBA please.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I thought we were fortunate to be 12-6 last year. As far as this year goes? With or without Jones it was always going to be what could this team trot out for a QB. If we have a decent option at QB then yes, I think we can be “competive” in maybe a 10-8 type of way. If we are subjected to the hobos we had to watch play QB last year, I’m going to guess we don’t set return and defensive TD’s at a record pace again, and likely fall back to 8-10 or 9-9.

                  With so many free agents though and a complete unknown for key coaching positions, it’s really hard to say at the moment. The next four weeks will be absolutely critical for the Riders 2019 season.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Quite possibly still competitive, but I think the overall level of competence in the league will be lower. So much free agency and a serious lack of good QBs. Might be a down year for the league.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Lots of time between now and TC to find and forge a new identity to be competitive. It would be absolutely foolish to try carrying on as a Chris Jones team witbout Chris Jones imo.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        2019 was looking a bit tough for the Riders even with Chris Jones around. Lots of FA's, no QBs yet, losing guys to the NFL, it was going to be a challenge no matter what. Without Jones, perhaps a bit more challenging, especially on D, but if it does allow us to get rid of McAdoo, I think that automatically makes us at least better on offence.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          McAdoo is not going anywhere. He resigned a contract extension and is an experienced coach in the CFL. Riders are not going to throw money away by removing a veteran coach.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            It all depends on what we end up with at QB. If we somehow get Reilly, then obviously we'll be competitive. If we get Jennings, there's a good chance we are. Anyone else and we're probably in trouble.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by inspector7 View Post
                              McAdoo is not going anywhere. He resigned a contract extension and is an experienced coach in the CFL. Riders are not going to throw money away by removing a veteran coach.
                              so when Jones got extended through 2020 last week McAdoo got extended through 2020 as well or is his contract up at the end of 2019?

                              Comment

                              Announcement

                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

                              Announcement

                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X