Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Head Coach

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Candidates:

Craig Dickenson

LaPo

Trestman

Other?
    Laps get my vote.

Comment

• Originally posted by lyin' guy View Post

Cheatin' bastages
      You betcha

Comment

• I have been back and forth on this one. I think they should take as much of the little time they have as they can to do due process on this. If O'Day is the succession plan for GM, that is your first announcement. HC on the other hand, has to be deliberate and well thought out.

I think if someone from outside is hired it will fracture the staff and the dressing room.

At first I nostalgically thought of Lapo for HC but I think that would be a mistake. If he were to come in and it was a bad fit his tenure would be poisoned and team would be in peril.

If you hire from within you show belief in the current system and allow the "family" to carry on. With that said I think I like Dickenson for HC, maybe Shivers for DC. Allow the Jones crew to show if their way is the winning way.

If that doesn't work then try to lure Lapo and let him come in and build something.

That is where my head is at now...for what it's worth.

Comment

• Whom ever the hire is at head coach , one of the biggest qualifications Riders should put weight behind is the person " wants to be a head coach " and wants to be the Rider head coach specifically . By that I mean his focus has to be totally on the position , Riders don't need at this time a guy immediately looking for advancement .......produce a winner , then look beyond .

Comment

• Originally posted by Rock Preston #1 View Post

Only if the internal guy is their #1 choice and viewed as the long-term guy. Unless the guy wants a 1 year contract which he wonít. With this new coaches cap you canít give someone a multi year deal unless they are your true choice. You really canít hire a coach unless you commit at least 2 years. Canít hire 1 year fill-ins. Has to be the guy your foresee coaching for a long time. Imo.
            Totally makes sense. One would never hire a head coach as a stop gap.

Comment

• Originally posted by hugoagogo View Post

Totally makes sense. One would never hire a head coach as a stop gap.
              One might have no choice

Comment

• Originally posted by lyin' guy View Post

Cheatin' bastages
                Actually some stupid basatages who canít see the big picture and figure out math.

The hit over 5 years against the cap to get rid of McAdoo is mice nutz.
                Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

Comment

• I think the Ryan brothers are still unemployed. One for HC., one DC. Tornado warnings for every game

Comment

• Just say no to Trestman. He's like the polar opposite of Jones. Your coach needs to be able to command respect in the locker room, after hearing what happened in Chicago I really don't think Trestman is that guy. Imagine how a Jones coached team would respond to that? No thanks. As a coordinator yes, head coach no.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...lly-in-chicago

"The answer to why Trestman might be done as an NFL head coach following this year is the same as why he was such a dark-horse candidate to coach the Bears and why he had been in Canada anyway: He doesn't fit into the NFL's paradigm of coaching demeanor and acumen.

The book on Trestman has always been that he's an odd duck who didn't always rub people the right way. He was a near-perfect fit in his years as the Oakland Raiders' quarterback coach and offensive coordinator because that franchise has always embraced the oddities and rarities in both players and coaches, but other than that stint, Trestman only lasted a handful of years in every NFL stop."

"Heís a really smart guy, knows football like the back of his hand. Thatís not the issue, ... But thereís a lot more to coaching than just Xs and Os. You have to be able to deal with players and thatís the reason [former Raiders coach] Bill Callahan hasnít succeeded as a head coach because heís a smart guy, knows football like the back of his hand, but when it comes to leading me, itís a totally different intangible you have to have."

"Not only has Trestman struggled to adapt to changes in game strategy, but he hasnít adapted to what goes on in the locker room. In talking to Bears players and former players, I keep hearing the same thing.

They donít respect Trestman as coach and a leader."

Comment

• i am thinking the HC will come from within. If we hire an outside coach wouldn't that person want to hire his own assistants? there are some practical questions which aren't easy to get around. If I am correct it will be Mcadoo or Dickenson.

Comment

• Originally posted by BRiderfan View Post
                        Just say no to Trestman. He's like the polar opposite of Jones. Your coach needs to be able to command respect in the locker room, after hearing what happened in Chicago I really don't think Trestman is that guy. Imagine how a Jones coached team would respond to that? No thanks. As a coordinator yes, head coach no.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...lly-in-chicago

"The answer to why Trestman might be done as an NFL head coach following this year is the same as why he was such a dark-horse candidate to coach the Bears and why he had been in Canada anyway: He doesn't fit into the NFL's paradigm of coaching demeanor and acumen.

The book on Trestman has always been that he's an odd duck who didn't always rub people the right way. He was a near-perfect fit in his years as the Oakland Raiders' quarterback coach and offensive coordinator because that franchise has always embraced the oddities and rarities in both players and coaches, but other than that stint, Trestman only lasted a handful of years in every NFL stop."

"Heís a really smart guy, knows football like the back of his hand. Thatís not the issue, ... But thereís a lot more to coaching than just Xs and Os. You have to be able to deal with players and thatís the reason [former Raiders coach] Bill Callahan hasnít succeeded as a head coach because heís a smart guy, knows football like the back of his hand, but when it comes to leading me, itís a totally different intangible you have to have."

"Not only has Trestman struggled to adapt to changes in game strategy, but he hasnít adapted to what goes on in the locker room. In talking to Bears players and former players, I keep hearing the same thing.

They donít respect Trestman as coach and a leader."

with Calvillo or Ray he was a success. Without them he is mediocre or worse.

Comment

• Originally posted by brady View Post
                          i am thinking the HC will come from within. If we hire an outside coach wouldn't that person want to hire his own assistants? there are some practical questions which aren't easy to get around. If I am correct it will be Mcadoo or Dickenson.
                          This keeps coming up and leads me to a question. I acknowledge that ideally any HC wants to hire his own assistants. But that is not a deal-breaker for everyone. Reynolds has shown long- term vision and consistently preached sustained success. A HC coming here has to like his chances of being around for a while, what with a good roster and very likely a GM who will be here for a while too.

is it such a big deal to retain the existing assistants? They obviously work well together and after 2019, the head coach can get ďhisĒ guys by unloading whoever he wants to.

Under no circumstances do I want the ďconvenienceĒ hire because the team is focused on short-term results.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beacon.x View Post

He is the assistant head coach, in other words, he is the right hand person in team operations. He knows how the system works. There is more to it than simply making game decisions. From going to the minicamps to how the entire staff has become accustomed to camps and practice, a new coach from outside likely changes all of that. That seems like a recipe to make a massive mess, and that alone is enough to give him a shot IMO. Beyond that, he created an O that won a cup and 2 seasons ago led the league in passing TDs. I know lots of people like to pretend that doesn't matter, but you can't have it both ways, you need to take it all, sorry. I tend to think that they made a lot of youth movements on offense in 2018 and that impacted production a lot. It was a bit of a new look OL, they got younger and cheaper at WR and had new RBs, so taking a downturn makes sense. Then there is someone like Mike Reilly recently coming out and giving pretty high praise of him and the fact that most of the players seem to rather like him. People seem to forget the frustration of a revolving door at OC for years and realized that some continuity would help, but now suddenly want an outside person running things and reinventing the way the entire team is run and the philosophy behind it all. Odd. If someone comes in and seems like they are on-board with a lot of the way things are done, great, but that seems unlikely.
                            I don't think "high praise" are the words I would use to describe what Mike Reilly said about McAdoo. I would say his words to describe McAdoo were diplomatic.

Our head coaching decision should be simple. If there's a head coach who will help you sign Mike Reilly, the Job is his!

Comment

• http://www.rodpedersen.com/2019/01/g...s-job.html?m=1

Jerry Glanville is intrigued by the prospect of coaching the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

The Riders are in need of a head coach, defensive co-ordinator, general manager and vice-president of football operations after Chris Jones resigned Tuesday to join the Cleveland Browns' coaching staff.

Glanville, who spent 2018 as the Hamilton Tiger-Cats' defensive co-ordinator but left at season's end for personal reasons, told The Canadian Press on Wednesday he's not spoken with Saskatchewan officials about the vacancies but would definitely listen if they called.

"Nobody has called me,'' Glanville said via telephone from Knoxville, Tenn.

The 77-year-old Glanville, a football lifer with more than 50 years of coaching experience (including as an NFL head coach with Houston (1985-89) and Atlanta (1990-93), said there'd be plenty to like about working in football-mad Saskatchewan.

"I think anybody that loves football has to love their fan base,'' he said. "Their fan base is second to no one.

"And by the way, they've got very good players. It's not a deal where you've got to go in and fix it. You've got to go in and keep the bus going down the road.''

Saskatchewan improved steadily under Jones, registering five, 10 and 12 regular-season wins in each of his three seasons. Jones was named the CFL's coach of the year in 2018 after a 12-6 season but the Riders lost 23-18 to the visiting Winnipeg Blue Bombers in the West Division semifinal.

Jones, a 51-year-old native of South Pittsburgh, Tenn., joined the Riders in December 2015, one week after guiding the Edmonton Eskimos to the Grey Cup as head coach.

Hamilton (8-10) finished second in the East last year. After defeating the B.C. Lions 48-8 in the conference semifinal, the Ticats dropped a 46-27 road decision to the Ottawa Redblacks in the division final.

The Ticats' defence finished third overall in fewest yards (334.3 per game) and passing yards allowed (247.7), fourth in rushing (101.6) and sixth in offensive points (23.6 per game). Hamilton linebacker Larry Dean finished tied for third overall in tackles (105) and was the East Division's top defensive player.

Glanville has appeared in movies, driven race cars and served as a television football analyst. He's rubbed elbows with such big-name entertainers as Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash and Burt Reynolds. But make no mistake, the legendary Man in Black - a moniker given to Glanville because he wears all-black attire on the sidelines - remains a football coach, first and foremost.

When asked if he's coached his final football game, the former linebacker at Northern Michigan University said, "No, no, no. I've got a few more hellbreaks left yet.''

It was during his tenure in Houston that Glanville coined the now famous phrase, "NFL means 'not for long,''' while chewing out an official for a bad call. Glanville has also often left tickets at will call for the late Elvis Presley and rubbed many people - most notably former Pittsburgh Steelers coach Chuck Noll - the wrong way with his brash words and flamboyant antics.

Jones's departure created a huge hole for the Riders and left his successor with the daunting task of having to wear many hats in Regina. But that's not the least bit daunting to Glanville.

"Chris has never worn half as many hats on that I have,'' Glanville said with a chuckle. "I've never seen him in a cowboy hat.

"I'd want to find out who's been picking the players because whoever has been picking them has done a good job. What you do is look around and say, 'They've got talent so somebody has already been picking the talent now.' Now, if the guy picking the talent has left then you've got to do it.'''

Glanville politely declined comment when asked why he left Hamilton after one season. But he said having a CFL season under his belt would be very beneficial if he returned to Canada in 2019.

"I think the difference is night and day,'' he said. "Being up there is an education ... but I think everybody should be better in the second year.

"I love the league, I love the stadiums, I love the fans. It's really refreshing to go up there, it really is. I was blessed in Hamilton because we had very good football players and whatever we asked them to do they did. Nobody played harder than they did, nobody tried harder or hit better. As long as you do that, you're in the fight.''

(Canadian Press/Dan Ralph)

Comment

• Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X