Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chris Jones leaving the Riders for a defensive role with the Cleveland Browns

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm actually happy for Jones, not many coaches make the jump from the CFL to NFL. He gets to do a fraction of the work for likely more money given the exchange rate and he gets to concentrate on something he loves, which is the defense. In a couple years he will probably rise up into a coordinator position then who knows? He would have been a fool to pass up this opportunity.

I'm also happy for O'Day, he's been quietly working hard behind the scenes and has earned this opportunity. I'm sure he'll do a great job and won't be constantly looking at where to go next. We'll be fine..didn't Toronto win the cup a couple years ago after losing their both their HC and GM like a couple months before the season started?

Comment

• Originally posted by Tyree View Post

Actually Lolley signed to be the DC with the Eskimos recently.
      Thanks. I knew there had to be a reason he hasnít been mentioned. I checked his wiki, but it must not of been updated.

Comment

• Originally posted by Suzieq View Post

As mentioned the clause no doubt existed in his previous contract, so nothing sinister there.

The only error is likely not putting some constraints around it considering the new coaches cap. Ie: his contract for 2019 should have been locked in (no escape till after 2019 season) at the same time that his entire staff was confirmed. Having his entire staff locked in to 2019 contracts puts some constraints on retooling our coaching staff in light of his departure as it would impact our coaching cap.
        I think this is a flaw that needs to be fixed on the salary cap side. Any coach, GM etc that leaves before the start of the season to the NFL should have their wage zeroed out so it has no impact on the team. Basically teams should not be negatively impacted by the cap when they allow their staff to take a promotion.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Cflgridiron View Post

I think this is a flaw that needs to be fixed on the salary cap side. Any coach, GM etc that leaves before the start of the season to the NFL should have their wage zeroed out so it has no impact on the team. Basically teams should not be negatively impacted by the cap when they allow their staff to take a promotion.
            I agree if the promotion is within the CFL. I could argue that going from president, HC and GM to being a special assistant isn't a promotion. a great job opportunity, but it's not a promotion.
            this is a time where you just get to suck it up.
            besides, the league gave an out of sorts for the upcoming year. if you self report cap violations, there is very little penalty.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cflgridiron View Post

I don't think the Riders are being penalized cap wise by Jones falling on the sword.
              Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

Comment

• Originally posted by GreenDiasporaDiva View Post
                Concluding my points by noting that it is always a wrench when people you warm to and admire leave for whatever reason...it used to really sting, but I have certainly learned over time that football is a business of constant change and evolution. So I have become somewhat hardened to these things and realize that it is never a good idea to get too attached to anyone, as eventually their time with the team will come to an end...I had the good fortune to meet and talk with Chris Jones on one of the team's Ottawa Parliament Hill practices, and found him to be disarmingly charming and easygoing as a person--not at all the way he is so often portrayed. I can only wish him the very best of good luck in his new position; hoping he will become a visible presence on the sideline once again...
                You are always sensible. Thanks for that. When I first became a fan in 1990 and bought seasons for 18 years, I took the Rider record very seriously.

I have calmed down a lot about my fandom, although, like you, I care a lot about Rider fortunes.

I believe that I don't have any input into what happens, but I will always be a Rider fan.

Comment

• How much is the penalty for going over the coaches cap this year? If not overly punitive and the Riders don't go overly stupid, why not go hard after Lapo to be HC/OC, dump McAdoo and find someone to be the new DC. The net number of coaches stays the same but we would have to pay the severance for McAdoo which could push costs over the cap. But that also depends on how much of a pay bump O'Day would get too. Lots of moving parts here and by no means are the Riders screwed, except at QB.

Comment

• IMO the biggest hurdle to get Lapo (along with if he wants the job) is whether Winnipeg releases him this late in the game.

Comment

• Originally posted by CalgaryRiderFan View Post
                      IMO the biggest hurdle to get Lapo (along with if he wants the job) is whether Winnipeg releases him this late in the game.
                      In the CFL, it's best not to be known as an organization that holds ppl back. What Jeff Hunt did in Ottawa in that regard was an impediment for them imo. And Kent Austin also got a bad rep for holding ppl back. Makes it hard to attract new talent. Goes for players too.

Comment

IMO the biggest hurdle to get Lapo (along with if he wants the job) is whether Winnipeg releases him this late in the game.
                        Would the Canadian mafia hold one of their own back?
                        Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

Comment

If they dont then they does this mean that they lack confidence in O'Shea?

Its not a lateral move and probably a good bump in pay they are denying him.

Maybe the teams make a trade, McAdoo for Lapo.

Comment

• Doesn't someone on this site run the @CFL_News Twitter feed?

Comment

• Originally posted by Rider_Stronson View Post

In the CFL, it's best not to be known as an organization that holds ppl back. What Jeff Hunt did in Ottawa in that regard was an impediment for them imo. And Kent Austin also got a bad rep for holding ppl back. Makes it hard to attract new talent. Goes for players too.
                              If LaPo were interested and the Bombers denied permission, I would think it would poison his relationship with the team. He would then leave at the first opportunity, anyway. Joe Mack screwed him over once. I don't think he is in the market to be screwed over again. That may be a big reason why he turned Toronto down - no relationship with Popp in addition to not choosing his assistant coaches. If he is indeed O'Day's first choice, I think the Riders have a shot because of the relationship of O'Day and LaPo. I would think they know each other well from their time together on the Riders offense. If his relationship with Jeremy is strong enough, he might be more amenable to taking on the Rider assistants, trusting that he will be able to choose his own after this year.
                              Last edited by Easy Rider; 01-16-2019, 08:38 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by lyin' guy View Post
                                Craig Dickenson would be a very decent Head Coach replacement. This isn't as gloom and doom as some would have you believe. Jonesí assistants aren't neophytes, nor are the front office people. Jones is unique and talented, but didnt work in a dark room all by himself; the other coaches know what's going on The Riders won't miss a beat, and even if they do it won't be for long.
                                I personally would like to see LaPo be hired but that seems like a long shot for Wpg to let him go and for him to want the job given he cant hire his own assistants. He's got a pretty good thing going in Wpg as much as that hurts to say. I'm pretty sure it will either be Dickenson or McAdoo to HC. Dickenson seems likable & tenured enough but does he have the work ethic. Didn't he leave Sask once because CC wanted him to work longer hours but he wanted to be a ski instructor or something in Montana?? And McAdoo well nothing says he deserves a promotion with worlds most boring and inept offense. At any rate, I just hope 2019 leads to more EXCITING games . Some way, some how.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X