Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019 Riders Football Operations and Coaching Staff

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rockford35 View Post

That's the million dollar question. Or at least $64,000.

If the team knew the answer, they would have addressed it and we wouldn't be having this conversation. The guy wasn't even used on short yardage anymore, they used a DB as the QB options couldn't even do that.

I remember a day a the old stadium watching practicep Bridge threw three straight rainbows from the centre line and knock the horizontal bar of the uprights each time. Where that guy went and what replaced him was a guy that machine guns 3 yard passes, it's quite the mystery.
    could it have been the change at QB coach ?
    I see that is the only difference.

Comment

Originally posted by flatlandriderfan View Post

That's a good question but you can't deny that our 2017 offence was a lot better than 2018 and 2017 had a couple of ham n eggers. So other than the absence of Jackson, what could be the difference
      Having that many rookie receivers didn’t help, new game for them and learning how to run routes using the motion and waggle takes time, add in a rookie RB and things won’t progress quickly

Game 1 has only one rookie receiver in JWL but then Carter goes to defence, Holley gets hurt, etc.. things snowballed

If BC looked great on offence last year you might be able to convince me Jackson was the difference but they weren’t so I don’t buy that reason

Comment

Originally posted by rockford35 View Post

That's the million dollar question. Or at least $64,000.

If the team knew the answer, they would have addressed it and we wouldn't be having this conversation. The guy wasn't even used on short yardage anymore, they used a DB as the QB options couldn't even do that.

I remember a day a the old stadium watching practicep Bridge threw three straight rainbows from the centre line and knock the horizontal bar of the uprights each time. Where that guy went and what replaced him was a guy that machine guns 3 yard passes, it's quite the mystery.
        I think its fair to question the coaching he has received from the team.

Comment

Originally posted by squish View Post

I think its fair to question the coaching he has received from the team.
          I think it's fair to question Bridge's off season approach and dedication.
          Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

Comment

Originally posted by Bigsexydawg View Post

It's only my opinion and not based on anything else, but I think that some of his success and then all of the talk about changing the rules to allow for Canadian QB's to count, went to his head a little bit and figured he'd be a shoe-in for the starter job. Once they traded for Collaros, he may have went into a little bit of a pout. That is where I could see where Jarious Jackson would have made a difference because he knew him and might have helped him out.

Comment

Yeah, something's got to explain it. I've seen no evidence that he had a bad offseason, I don't know if anyone was with him or what. There is a lot of evidence for some poor coaching though. (McAdoo especially)

Either way, doesn't really matter as he'll sign somewhere else probably.

Comment

Originally posted by Rotor View Post

I'm saying Jones has got a thin coaching staff - di you see me argue results anywhere?
                Is there a coaching staff that you feel is not thin after the mandated “ thinning down” of staff? Just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by squish View Post

Yeah, something's got to explain it. I've seen no evidence that he had a bad offseason, I don't know if anyone was with him or what. There is a lot of evidence for some poor coaching though. (McAdoo especially)

Either way, doesn't really matter as he'll sign somewhere else probably.
                  McAdoo was the OC in 2017 too when it looked like Bridge could turn into something good

Comment

You mean talking to Damon Allen on the phone isn’t a good way to develop

Comment

I'm not sure anyone here has the knowledge or insight to criticize Bridge's work ethic and dedication last offseason. Its possible that he put the work in but he just sucks. Some guys get it and improve, but most don't.
                      Waiting for the big ole splash...actually there was no big splash, just a peaceful ripple. Dammit, there was supposed to be a big ole splash!!

Comment

Originally posted by Murphy View Post

McAdoo was the OC in 2017 too when it looked like Bridge could turn into something good
                        Weird isn't it? I dunno. It just seems like when you have 3 QB's, and all of them look pretty much like crap all year though, either some kind of bug got into them all simultaneously, or their coaching wasn't up to snuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Rock Preston #1 View Post
                          I'm not sure anyone here has the knowledge or insight to criticize Bridge's work ethic and dedication last offseason. Its possible that he put the work in but he just sucks. Some guys get it and improve, but most don't.
                          He wouldn't be the first guy who never took that next step and got better. I get why it would have been great if he became our starter. Strong arm, can run. And off the field has the charisma, good guy as we heard with the story where he picked up the tab for that family. He would be a perfect face of the franchise. As much as I have issues with MacAdoo, I don't understand the 100% tunnel vision of putting it all on the coaches in some corners and thinking last year had nothing to do with Bridge.

Comment

People keep saying that Bridge regressed, I would tend to put it into the category that Bridge was restricted. In 2017 when he was put in, it was usually after Glen had faltered and he was told to go in and get things moving. They needed to open the play book for him. This year he started what 4 games with a very restricted play book, he wasn't successful. McADoo wouldn't open the play book for him just as he didn't open the play book for Collaros until week 15. Now some can argue that Bridge didn't deserve an open play book, but then did it take 8 playing games into the season to open it for Zach.

While some can argue that McAdoo has been the one consistent factor with 3 different qbs. The problem with that train of thought was in 2016 we had no oline and didn't rush, any qb we had was running for his life. 2017 we became a pass first run second offence, this year we came a run first pass second offense. Additionally, we ran one player out of town for openly questioning the restricted play book. Now some will say Carter was a trouble maker, but it is funny, why most people kept asking why we had 1000 receiver playing defence. Player who seemed to fit in and cheered for his team mates, became a problem when he asked the OC to open his play book.

Comment

Well this thread just took a turn today.

Comment

I just looked at the current coaching lineup on riderville:
                                Assistant Head Coach & Offensive Coordinator Stephen McAdoo
                                Special Teams Coordinator Craig Dickenson
                                Quarterbacks Coach Steve Walsh
                                Running Backs Coach Kent Maugeri
                                Receivers Coach Travis Moore
                                Offensive Line Coach Stephen Sorrells
                                Defensive Backs Coach Jason Shivers
                                Linebackers Coach Cam Robinson
                                Defensive Line Coach Merritt Bowden
                                Special Teams Assistant Mike Scheper
                                I wonder if the organization might decide to let go one of the position coaches, or maybe have one combine two roles in order to allow hiring a co-ordinator of either stripe.

It wasn't that long ago when we had one guy as QB and receivers coach.

It would be a shame to lose a quality up and coming coach, though.

Edit: Releasing a position coach would also cause less of a cap hit. I really hate suggesting releasing anyone, but that coach would be paid and may actually not be idle for very long.
                                Last edited by Sprout; 01-16-2019, 06:20 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X