Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roughrider struggling to find work in Regina during off-season

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roughrider struggling to find work in Regina during off-season

Takoby Cofield wanted to spend the CFL’s off-season working in Regina. Instead, he’s been twiddling his thumbs while waiting for the phone to ring.

Cofield, who finished his first CFL season as an offensive lineman with the Saskatchewan Roughriders, took to Twitter on Wednesday to voice his disappointment about having little success finding employment in the city.

“Up to a total of 20 apps as of today… you want better for the Regina community yet you have Riders that are trying to contribute and be an asset and it seems like we are an afterthought once the season is over,” wrote Cofield.

Cofield, who is originally from Tarboro, N.C., recalled being told by teammates that there would be plenty of job opportunities for a Roughrider during the off-season. Cofield returned home when the Riders’ playoff run ended in November, and began sending out applications the next month. He’s spoken to some employers, but has yet to get an interview.

“It’s just been real quiet,” said Cofield during a phone interview on Wednesday from the States.

He has been applying for a little bit of everything, including sales jobs. What he’d really like to do though is work with kids. Cofield has degree in African American studies and a minor in education from Duke University. He can’t teach because he doesn’t have the right work visa, but would still like to worth with youth.

In particular, Cofield said he’d like to work with kids in Regina’s Indigenous community. Cofield said that since many CFL players from the U.S. come from low socioeconomic situations, they could be someone First Nations youth could not only look up to, but relate to.

“There’s a whole Aboriginal community that could use support, that almost needs support from this team,” said Cofield.

On Twitter, Cofield said one of the places he applied was the Paul Dojack Youth Centre.

“I know the position I am in as a professional athlete, and I would love to do nothing more than to help,” he said.

Cofield said players make an investment in the community when they come to the city, and he wished people would keep them in mind when the season ends.

“Once we lost, it was kind of like everybody just went back to their normal lives and acted like we didn’t exist anymore,” he said.

Cofield doesn’t want Reginans to think he dislikes the city. He could have spent the off-season in the U.S., but wanted to live here year-round with his girlfriend.

“Honestly, I loved it there. I really liked Canada,” said Cofield, who comes comes from a smaller rural city, and said Regina reminded him a lot of his home.

Cofield credited the Riders with pointing players in the right direction if they want to seek out work in the city — but that doesn’t necessarily mean they’ll get a job.

One reason he thinks it may be difficult for a Rider to find employment is the perception that CFL players make more money than they really do. After Canadian and American taxes, then the exchange rate, a good portion of a rookie’s modest salary goes out the door. Cofield said most rookie salaries in the CFL are between $55,000 and $65,000 a year.

Cofield claims he isn’t alone. He said two other Roughriders wanted to stay in Regina during the off-season, but had to leave because they couldn’t find work. He said many other players in the CFL are experiencing something similar.

“I’m not the only one. There’s guys on other teams that are actually going through the same exact thing,” said Cofield.
    Takoby Cofield wanted to spend the CFL's off-season working in Regina, but has been having trouble finding a job.

Lots of opportunity gone with the oilpatch down turn.

Still one would think that there would be some local politicians who would help with getting the nessesary visa so he can use his education.

Comment

I love that he wants to stay up here and work but the economy is down and there are a lot of people out of work right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Magnum View Post
        Lots of opportunity gone with the oilpatch down turn.

Still one would think that there would be some local politicians who would help with getting the nessesary visa so he can use his education.
        "foreman says these jobs are goin boys, and they ain't comin back"

Comment

The Riders used to employ Dressler in the offseason in a role that helped other Riders find off-season jobs. Is that position still around? I thought that was a good idea that would help make Saskatchewan a better destination for free agents.

Comment

I find him whiny. Fine, you want to stay and are having trouble finding work. That's reality. Just because you are a professional football player doesn't mean the community owes you an offseason job. Apply for whatever work VISA you need and keep trying.

Comment

Originally posted by carmen16 View Post
              I find him whiny. Fine, you want to stay and are having trouble finding work. That's reality. Just because you are a professional football player doesn't mean the community owes you an offseason job. Apply for whatever work VISA you need and keep trying.
              From an employer's perspective, you have a 26 year old applicant from another country whose only ties to the city are another job that keeps him busy 6 months of the year. The reality is it's much safer to hire a local with stronger ties to the area.

Comment

I think he'd be a great fit for First Nations education programming as sport is such a huge part of the educational and life skills process. Would love to see players like this work with inner city youth!

Comment

At a certain point though, it would become increasingly frustrating to feel like you are like a demi-god when the season is on, but when football is over you are just some joe-blow looking to make a cheque.... Not saying it is fair either way, just pointing out the frustration of it could really get to a guy. He really should be able to get into something working with the indigenous youth of Regina and Area, there seems to always be more youths in need then there are people to help them.

I wonder if he looked at applying for positions in Saskatoon or Moose Jaw... Moose Jaw he could still live in Regina and commute if he likes. Saskatoon would be more of a semi-permanent move for the off season which is likely less desirable.

I feel for these guys, they are really trying to invest themselves into the communities they play in, and unfortunately it doesn't always work out.

It would be cool if some of the local sponsors could come up with work placement style temp jobs for guys that want to stay, like Mosaic or some others....

I am sure the community can find these guys work.

Comment

There are jobs just nothing he would want to do

Comment

Originally posted by jlh2640 View Post
                      There are jobs just nothing he would want to do
                      I think that could be said for most of us.... especially those with a university education from a very good school.

Comment

Originally posted by CalgaryRiderFan View Post

"foreman says these jobs are goin boys, and they ain't comin back"
                        "This is my hometowwwwwwn...."

Comment

"twiddling his thumbs while waiting for the phone to ring", isn't the mindset pros take to the football field, and not when looking for employment

Comment

I bet he could get a job at a Co-op cutting meat , he’d get a good deal on the price of meat to keep his protein up , it would be good exposure for the co-op he would be inside win win
                            hell I could use some help in my meat dept , I have an extra bedroom haha
                            Last edited by Unityriderguy; 01-10-2019, 10:37 AM.

Comment

I empathize with him, along with anyone else who's looking for meaningful work.

As an athlete who's taken his craft to a high level, he'd know a lot about teamwork, overcoming adversity, and pushing himself to excel at the task in front of him. If he's a good person who people like being around, he'd make a fine addition to any work environment. You can always train someone to do most work-related tasks, but you can't teach someone how to be a person you want to spend half your waking hours with.

I wish him luck.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X