Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If I were Chris Jones

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rotor View Post

12-6 second place overall - with a winning record against the rest of the division - is not the bottom of the bucket

its looking for 1 guy

and the person in charge - is trying - not sitting back saying "set at QB" with Sunseri and Doege

Colaros did not pan out - mostly due to injury - Bridge? typical coach killer - great arm, great legs so you invest more and more time in him but he never pans out - took me a long time not to call him Bishop because of that and that is exactly who he seems to be

Watford could be Matt Dunnigan for all we have seen him - he could also be Seth Doege - too early to judge
    senior member chiming in with the facts and logic and leaving out emotion
    .I agree with this post.

Comment

• Originally posted by greenale View Post

I dont think anyone is sold on Jennings. I think what most are saying is that he may be worth a shot as one of the best of the bunch, but doesn't come without risk and far from a sure thing.
      Yup. But I can’t see Jennings signing with the Riders if traded before free agency - he may end up here, just not that way. His stock will be high - even if it isn’t warranted. He is way smarter having an open nogotiation with several teams. It would just be giving away Crappy.
      Last edited by Fullhouse; 01-11-2019, 06:57 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rotor View Post

12-6 second place overall - with a winning record against the rest of the division - is not the bottom of the bucket

its looking for 1 guy

and the person in charge - is trying - not sitting back saying "set at QB" with Sunseri and Doege

Colaros did not pan out - mostly due to injury - Bridge? typical coach killer - great arm, great legs so you invest more and more time in him but he never pans out - took me a long time not to call him Bishop because of that and that is exactly who he seems to be

Watford could be Matt Dunnigan for all we have seen him - he could also be Seth Doege - too early to judge
        With the exception of Rielly maybe Mcdoo is a qb killer

Comment

• Originally posted by alaskafan View Post

With the exception of Rielly maybe Mcdoo is a qb killer
          Reilly will overcome bad coaching just as he did in 2015.

Comment

• Originally posted by squish View Post

Reilly will overcome bad coaching just as he did in 2015.
            I think the McAdoo bashing is low hanging fruit for some. 2015 grey cup win. 2017 , with Glenn and BB, most TD passes in the league .
            Last year we had a lot of transition on offence. Vet receivers to rookies. Rosie was injured. Changes on the line. ZC ....and his health. And the biggest transition was a QB who showed a ton of potential to a fraud who shouldn't be in the CFL anymore.....BB.
            The whole offence had its issues.....very simplistic to point it to one person.

Comment

• Originally posted by RAJ47 View Post

I think the McAdoo bashing is low hanging fruit for some. 2015 grey cup win. 2017 , with Glenn and BB, most TD passes in the league .
              Last year we had a lot of transition on offence. Vet receivers to rookies. Rosie was injured. Changes on the line. ZC ....and his health. And the biggest transition was a QB who showed a ton of potential to a fraud who shouldn't be in the CFL anymore.....BB.
              The whole offence had its issues.....very simplistic to point it to one person.
              You do certainly pick your scapegoats thats for sure. "fraud"? lol

Comment

Isn’t McAdoo your scapegoat?
                Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigsexydawg View Post

Isn’t McAdoo your scapegoat?
                  I think it was a combo of McAdoo, QBs and receivers. Each at times displaying amazing ineptitude. But if you subscribe to the "poop flows uphill" theory, it does kind of land at McAdoo's feet. He's the one who is supposed to be getting these guys playing better, not just installing his system come hell or high water.

Comment

I think it was a combo of McAdoo, QBs and receivers. Each at times displaying amazing ineptitude. But if you subscribe to the "poop flows uphill" theory, it does kind of land at McAdoo's feet. He's the one who is supposed to be getting these guys playing better, not just installing his system come hell or high water.
                    So he was supposed to install a kids flag football system for Bridge?
                    Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

Comment

He was supposed to install whatever works, for Collaros or Bridge. He did neither.

Comment

Thats pretty much what we saw. When Bridge was in there he would take the snap, have quick look down field if we were lucky, then tuck and run.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bingo_Arms View Post

Haha funny turn of events hey? Though Streveler May have been the third anyways.

Love that DD hung them for $70k. Still laugh about that.
                          Streveler may have been #3, but if Durant had been there when the season opened and Nichols was injured, he'd be the one taking snaps and they may not know how Streveler would look under fire.

Comment

• Since Chris Jones took the reins for the 2016 season, all the Saskatchewan Roughriders have done is improve each and every year. With Jones signing an extension through 2020, it gives the team’s head coach and general manager an opportunity to finish the job he started three years ago. The Riders are trending up under Jones and they’ve returned to “Grey Cup or bust” territory.

After a rough first year at the helm in which Saskatchewan went 5-13, Jones has seen his teams improve to 10-8 and 12-6 in two subsequent seasons. 2018 saw the Riders finish the season 9-2, hosting a playoff game for the first time since 2013. While Saskatchewan fell 28-13 to the Bombers in the Western Semi-Final, this past season was still a step forward.

What’s impressed me most under Jones is how quickly the Riders adopted Jones’s personality on the field. Throughout his tenure in the league, Jones has been known for having speedy and versatile defensive groups that fly to the ball and force turnovers. I would suggest that description was quite apt for Saskatchewan over the last two years.

Defensive mainstays Willie Jefferson, Ed Gainey, and Sam Eguavoen were all brought in under Jones and have transformed into big time impact makers in three years with the Riders. Along the way, we’ve seen Saskatchewan make big additions like Charleston Hughes and Loucheiz Purifoy to round out an impressive defensive group.

I also have appreciated Jones’s willingness to make big splashes, even if they haven’t always proven to be ultimately successful. Jones knew he had to find a quarterback for 2018 and pounced on the top available guy when the Riders acquired Zach Collaros from Hamilton. Sure, Collaros had his struggles, both on the field and with injuries, but I appreciate the attempt to fix a problem.

Similarly, it was Saskatchewan coming out ahead in the Henoc Muamba sweepstakes in the fall of 2016. Muamba was returning from a short stint with the NFL’s Dallas Cowboys when he chose the Riders over a number of teams bidding for his services. In the end, Muamba played parts of two seasons in Regina before spending 2018 with the Alouettes.

What lies ahead for the Riders is uncertain, much like every other team due to free agency. Eguavoen has already signed with the NFL’s Miami Dolphins while Jefferson leads the list of unsigned impact defensive players. Add to that a completely uncertain future at quarterback and Jones has a lot on his plate over the next few months. Knowing his history of courting big time players, though, would it surprise anyone if Jones went hard after Mike Reilly or Trevor Harris?

There’s no doubt Jones marches to the beat of his own drum and he’s turned into a polarizing figure across the league. But it’s tough to argue with the results and even tougher to dispute Saskatchewan’s decision to extend him. Jones had reported NFL interest but has opted to remain with the Riders.

This is a team on the precipice and Jones has been a huge part of their ascent. It stands to reason he’d want to stick around to try and get his team to the top of the mountain.

Comment

Your reading comprehension is still lacking. Re-read.

You are the one blaming things on one person.....but continue.

Comment

That would not have worked for BB. He would immediately be on the phone to get consoled by Glenn and Damon Allan.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X