Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chris Jones sign extension with Riders through 2020

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bingo_Arms View Post

He has the absolute premium gig in the CFL. Very well compensated, complete control of the leagueís flagship franchise and a palace for a stadium to play in.

I agree, if he leaves us (and I have no doubt heíll jump ship in the next year or two) itíll be for a good NCAA gig or an NFL opportunity.
    I don't know about the NFL position at this point. I say that because Jones likely wants more control than a NFL team is willing to give him. He might be happier going the NCAA route first where he would have more control, then make that leap to the NFL.

Comment

• Originally posted by RDavidson View Post

I don't know about the NFL position at this point. I say that because Jones likely wants more control than a NFL team is willing to give him. He might be happier going the NCAA route first where he would have more control, then make that leap to the NFL.
      Donít dispute that. In fact I can see him being a permanent in the NCAA. Just meant that apart from a good NCAA gig or some sort of coordinator position in the NFL nothing trumps what we have to offer.

Imagine being the GM in Toronto and bussing to practice facilities versus what we have here? Heís got it good here and I love that whoever sits in that chair is going to have all the resources they need at their disposal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rider_Stronson View Post

Have you ever met or talked with Chris Jones? He doesn't think the way described in the bold at all. Every time I've met and talked with him he's been very accommodating. Very friendly, warm and positive. Once was right after a practice and he actually had people waiting for him but he still stood out in the parking lot and was talking to me, answering questions, telling me about the team. This is when the players hop on their buses or the coaches get into their Capital Ford trucks.

I find him anything but a snob or putting on airs or a "superior" attitude. I actually think this place reminds him of his southern roots and home. He'll look you in the eye and shake your hand, and make time for you. I hear he's very loyal and I can tell you, he has a great memory for faces.
        I said "Hi coach" at a Red Sox game one evening. He smiled. But I'm not arguing any of this with you. I think its quite similar to Shivers as well. There are/were some here who knew and met Roy quite regularly, and he was an engaging and funny guy for us rail birds back then. However if you recall, the team removed him from being the "face" of the organization, because so many people found him distasteful to listen to or see interviewed. Didn't make it right then either.

Comment

• I would love to crush some beers with Jones! I bet he would have some outstanding stories to tell.

Comment

• Originally posted by squish View Post

I said "Hi coach" at a Red Sox game one evening. He smiled. But I'm not arguing any of this with you. I think its quite similar to Shivers as well. There are/were some here who knew and met Roy quite regularly, and he was an engaging and funny guy for us rail birds back then. However if you recall, the team removed him from being the "face" of the organization, because so many people found him distasteful to listen to or see interviewed. Didn't make it right then either.
            I agree with your Shivers analogy. Which is why I found it funny on here when the same people who were critical of Jones spent the same amount of energy defending Shivers back in the day. I just hope the QB position doesn't stop Jones from getting this team to the next step like HC did for Shivers.

Comment

• Originally posted by CalgaryRiderFan View Post

I agree with your Shivers analogy. Which is why I found it funny on here when the same people who were critical of Jones spent the same amount of energy defending Shivers back in the day. I just hope the QB position doesn't stop Jones from getting this team to the next step like HC did for Shivers.
              Agreed. Loyalty to a coach who was also a friend was ultimately Shivers' undoing, I hope it doesn't become Jones' as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rider_Stronson View Post

Have you ever met or talked with Chris Jones?
                Wasnít addressed to me but Iíve crushed a few pints with him. And youíre right, heís very humble in person and a kind guy. Hard to keep up with but a genuinely nice human.

Comment

Donít dispute that. In fact I can see him being a permanent in the NCAA. Just meant that apart from a good NCAA gig or some sort of coordinator position in the NFL nothing trumps what we have to offer.

Imagine being the GM in Toronto and bussing to practice facilities versus what we have here? Heís got it good here and I love that whoever sits in that chair is going to have all the resources they need at their disposal.
                  The practice facility in Toronto is a 10 minute walk from the locker room.

Comment

• Originally posted by TorontoVsEverybody View Post

The practice facility in Toronto is a 10 minute walk from the locker room.
                    My mistake. Still seems amateur though. Do they walk single file holding their equipment?

Comment

My mistake. Still seems amateur though. Do they walk single file holding their equipment?
                      They still bus, just to arrive as a team. They have to cross the GO Train tracks to get to Liberty Village from BMO Field. My point is that the trek is no longer across town to various school yards.

As for your comment about walking single file holding their equipment... that's not far off from what the Riders did, walking from the old locker room to the practice field. Not sure I see what's 'amateur' about it.

Comment

• Originally posted by TorontoVsEverybody View Post

They still bus, just to arrive as a team. They have to cross the GO Train tracks to get to Liberty Village from BMO Field. My point is that the trek is no longer across town to various school yards.

As for your comment about walking single file holding their equipment... that's not far off from what the Riders did, walking from the old locker room to the practice field. Not sure I see what's 'amateur' about it.
                        Isn't that exactly what BA said in his post?
                        Nothing like a whole off season to choke on cram sammiches!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mallard View Post
                          Isn't that exactly what BA said in his post?
                          I believe he was alluding to darker times, when the Argos had nowhere to practice, and were forced to bus across town to vacant school yards.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X